So I’m looking at these options……..

Paulcon

Mar 27, 2022
Cheshire
Hi all,

New to the eMTB scene, I need some advice from the experts, basically I have a Santa Cruz Nomad which is great, but I’m 44 soon and want some assistance for places such as Llandegla, Hanchurch, Delamere, Macclesfield Forest, Cannock, etc.

I’m keeping my Nomad for Flyup, Bike Park Wales, etc so want an ebike, my budget is £6700, I like the look of the below:

• Giant Reign e+ 1
  • Trek Rail 9 GX
  • Marin Alpine Trail E2
The Giant seems great but there seems a lot of posts about reliability, are there any others to consider?

Advice would be appreciate, thanks in advance.

Paul

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
I would take a look on that one.
In Alumnium the Crafty should be in your budget

I like the blue silver on a lot
Screenshot_20220327-162303_Samsung Internet.jpg

Paulcon

Mar 27, 2022
Cheshire
Looks a good bike, unfortunately it’s £7000 so a bit out of my budget :cry:

edit, actually I might be able to stretch to that, so I’ll add it to the list 👍🏻

Last edited:

simon_mtb

Mar 27, 2022
London, UK
I have had the Nomad V3 (the pink/blue one) for a few years, just turned 45 and splashed out on a Giant Reign E+1 - I can't speak to it's reliability yet as it's only been a couple of weeks, but I'm loving it's geometry/handling compared to the nomad - it feels familiar to ride from the outset, and in some ways even better balanced/rolling with the 29 on the front. No complaints here :)

Paulcon

Mar 27, 2022
Cheshire
I have had the Nomad V3 (the pink/blue one) for a few years, just turned 45 and splashed out on a Giant Reign E+1 - I can't speak to it's reliability yet as it's only been a couple of weeks, but I'm loving it's geometry/handling compared to the nomad - it feels familiar to ride from the outset, and in some ways even better balanced/rolling with the 29 on the front. No complaints here :)

Oh cool, I’ve got the V4, I’m unsure if a big bike like the Reign might be too similar to the Nomad, and a bit too tiring for long days out?

simon_mtb

Mar 27, 2022
London, UK
Not 100% sure - I'm super unfit currently after a fairly lengthy break so using the eMTB as a way to make the fun stuff accessible - which it's doing really well - with the assistance the bike doesn't feel anything like it's weight (I can easily stand up and sprint on it for example), and it's not a handful to move around on the downs.
I rented a Whyte 160RS at the Forest of Dean for a day before buying the Giant, similar size/power/weight/capacity bike (but I much prefer the ride of the Reign ;) ), so that could be a good option also to get a feel for what a whole day is like on one.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Ive just got an e+2 so again cant comment on the reliability but an awesome ride and you can fit a range extender if required which is a big plus

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hi all,

New to the eMTB scene, I need some advice from the experts, basically I have a Santa Cruz Nomad.…
  • Giant Reign e+ 1
  • Trek Rail 9 GX
  • Marin Alpine Trail E2
My son-in-law currently has the Santa Cruz Nomad and the Rail 7. They both see a lot of action. Whistler bike park is great for the Santa Cruz but our mountain is perfect for his eMTB.
I personally lean towards a Bosch Gen 4 motor at this time.

Fatsweaty

Sep 1, 2021
UK
I'd have to vouch for the Mondraker Crafty range too , just bought an Alloy Crafty R 2022 at £5799 I think its a decent package. Though to be fair most emtb's are now are pretty well set.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think with an EMTB...especially your first you need a different approach than selecting bikes you like. Most important is support from a local LBS so that may define the range of bikes available. Next is type of bike............trail, all mountain or Enduro to suit the type of riding you want it for. Then of course fit is very important which means being a ble at the very least to sit on the bike or better still do a test ride.
In terms of spec I would go for a Bosch motor and a decent fork and shock..........the rest is fairly cheap to change if needed.

Paulcon

Mar 27, 2022
Cheshire
Thanks for all the responses.

Lots of options and like the above reply I need to think. I love my Santa Cruz and even thought about the Heckler R, not the best spec for money but I know I love Santa Cruz and have a LBS dealer close to me.

Hmmmm the choices :rolleyes:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles