Sizing advice/help

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Looking for my first EMTB. I've narrowed my choice to a Giant Reign E+ 2 Pro and a Trek Rail 5 (or if pushed, the Rail 7). Generally, am leaning to the Rail because I have good experience with Trek road/fitness bikes and think I will like the bike a bit better with the shorter chainstay.

I have ridden the Reign in both Small and Medium and definitely fit the Small. I have ridden the Rail in a Medium and there's no question it's too big. None of the local shops seem to have a Rail in stock in a small for me to confirm the fit and feel. Trek still has some in stock so my LBS can definitely order it, but I am a bit nervous about special ordering a bike that I am stuck with without being completely confident in the fit. The problem with the Medium Rail is standover height (feet on the ground and the top tube is at my crotch with no room to spare ... not an accident I want to have). The difference between a small and a medium is 3cm in standover. However, the cockpit on the medium did not feel too big. How much would I notice 2.5cm difference in reach and effective top tube?

Trying to decide whether to risk it ... love the bike, just don't want to wind up hating it.

ronianash

Mar 27, 2020
Squamish, BC
how tall are you? I'm 5'3" and I've been riding medium bikes in Enduro but small bikes in DH.
I went with the small in the Rail 7 because of the 29inch wheels, and I put a 60mm stem on it.
Not sure if this helps.
Just noticed we live in the same area

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
I'm 5'7" which you would think would mean medium but there's no question it's too big on these bikes.

Looking forward to riding around Squamish soon!

Manicm

Apr 23, 2020
Birmingham
I’m 5ft6 and have a medium, i went on the fact my stumpy is a med, and I upgraded my hardtail from small to med and found it better for me. I tested a small and found short rides it was ok, long rides I started to get back ache so went med with my rail, it’s more about reach and comfort for me.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
I must have shorter legs even though we're similar height. On the medium the top tube is right in my crotch. Wouldn't bother me on a road bike, but on an MTB that's not a comfortable feeling but the cockpit felt comfortable on the medium and am trying to get a sense of whether the small would be too tight.

Reactions: MsO

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Cannock chase

You may not have noticed that I'm in Canada. Staffordshire might not be the most convenient place for me;)

In any event, found an LBS that is willing to bring a small Rail 5 in for me to check out, so all good. Hopefully be riding it on a nearby trail in a couple of weeks.

tobster

Apr 3, 2020
Oxford
I'm 5ft 8 and have a medium powerfly. It is indeed big. this is not helped by the HUGE wheels. I would recommend you try a smaller frame i.e. small

ThePete

Oct 16, 2019
Dublin, CA
Can't comment on the sizing, but you've selected 2 killer bikes! I have a trance e2 as well as a powerfly 7. I love both of them. Go with whatever bike shop you like more. You're not going to regret getting either bike (even if you do bang your nuts on the top tube).

Last edited:

MLJumpman

Aug 25, 2022
The OC, California
I must have shorter legs even though we're similar height. On the medium the top tube is right in my crotch. Wouldn't bother me on a road bike, but on an MTB that's not a comfortable feeling but the cockpit felt comfortable on the medium and am trying to get a sense of whether the small would be too tight.
Did you ever decide on a Medium or Small for your rail? Any insight is helpful thanks!

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Did you ever decide on a Medium or Small for your rail? Any insight is helpful thanks!

Went with a small. Sometimes that even feels a touch big but definitely a much better fit than the medium.

The standover height is better, but also the net lower seat height makes a big difference going down steeps or rolling drops where I need to get my weight back.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles