Should the std MPH be increased by + 3mph to18mph

+ 3mph or no?

• Total voters

Saltyc

Apr 5, 2021
St ives
So been E ing for a while and really getting to grips with "how to get the best out of my ride.com"

Trek powerfly 9.7 Bosch Performance CX with 85 nm update.

Now i totally get the de-resriction legality and agree on this as frankly is dangerous even in capable hands and for sure puts riders exposure to injury way up there.

However and after 300 odd miles of local trails and centres faaaast and cruisy, plus 20 odd years of analogue lunacy o)) I am more and more convinced that a 3mph increase would really give the EMTB experience a seriously good step up to proper flow when riding trails that we all love.

WHY?
Bare with me on this;

Undulating terrain - Now this is where +3mph really would be game on. Motor de coupling is just not instant at +15 mph well not on mine anyway so when you are in that trough on undulating terrain / trails that sucks the speed down + 3mph would actually give you that little boost to keep your flow going on the uphill side = BIG grins all the way.

Decents
I find that switching to eco or tour de-couples the bosch that bit quicker + most of us will travel faster than 18mph so no issue here.

Average spped
On most trails with a reasonable fitness I recon the average speed of any MTB - e or not is 18 mph?

On flat
18 mph Is still a very manegable speed for all levels and not a safety issue as stopping times would not be increasedmuch more than 1ft if that.

On a non technical gradient
18mph would probably be used, is still a very managable speed for all levels and not a safety issue for riders and non riders alike.

On technical gradient
+3 is just a bonus, would you use it all? probably not as on this type of terrain motor software is king +3 mph or no.

Summary
E biking is all about fun and that it is. However we all search for more out of our sports as is the nature of us all. Surely E bike manufacturers are thinking of ways to make the e bike experience better and better with lighter bikes, better performance etc etc but maye this has not been concidered as is actually a very realistic and flipping awesome upgrade that we would all just love.

It might be that I just love to rag trails and always search for more without having to spend a shit load of dollar, but with a conservative head we would all seriously benfit from this

For those that say its maybe be concidered a hazard i would say that I am sure the average EMTBerrrrs rational and skill level would dictate dictate how fast they travel on a trail and come to think about it could actually deter those that would get a full derestriction as18mph is actually a good speed to travel at for fun, taking in the wild woods we roam and for sure would make the difference without compromising safety.

ROB :)

It would be so good if this could get a vote type thing - dow - found poll option but feel free to edit vote options)

... and of course your thoughts on this one, maybe pass it out there to industry peoples. Who knows as this might actually get passed through to the honjos of the EMTB world.

LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN o))

Last edited:

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I can kind of see where your coming from.
But..................!!!!!!!
In an ever growing world where we're starting to see a standardizing of components, its doubtful that emtb motors and batteries will conform to a newer standard of power (250w nominal) and speed. Thereby transforming emtb's into small dirt bikes.
In addition, whilst tremendous advances and achievements have been made in an effort to increase positivety towards the use of emtb's on trails around the globe, I doubt any moves which increases the speed restriction would go favourably to ultimately allowing emtb's on all trails.

Naturally, there are some members on the forum (myself included) who have access to emtb's which far exceed the speed limit. Noticable motors such as the Bafang Ultra M620 and others are regarded as the extreme variants as they are both torque and throttle actuated.

Personally, I would be more inclined to have motors not have any resistance going past 15.5mph/25kph moving forward. But, that's just my opinion.

But I wont deny that if the speed line increased overnight to 20mph, many would complain ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Why 18? There is a current "standard" of 20mph somewhere (USA I believe).

Funnily enough, I’ve noticed on most flat or very slight inclined trails I’m averaging around 18mph on the eeb. It takes me quite some effort to go much faster and have to work the gears, and the nature of the trails means I’m then hitting ascents so have to quickly change down the gears again to keep momentum

On the same trails on my standard MTB I used to average around 20mph and not have to keep changing gear so often to keep the momentum flowing

I expect that if the motor cut out at 18mph, I’d be able to manage 20mph with ease on the same trails, but that’s just a guess

At one point yesterday evening at Dalby I caught up two guys on MTB’s on an ascent. I deliberately held back as I didn’t want to overtake them and just slowly trundled up the trail with ease. Once the trail flattened out and the fun started I couldn’t keep up with them, all I saw was dust and they were gone, must have been riding well over 20mph whereas I was flat out at 18mph. There’s no point to my story, just noticed that 18mph seems to be my average ‘flat’ trail speed

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Funnily enough, I’ve noticed on most flat or very slight inclined trails I’m averaging around 18mph on the eeb. It takes me quite some effort to go much faster and have to work the gears, and the nature of the trails means I’m then hitting ascents so have to quickly change down the gears again to keep momentum

On the same trails on my standard MTB I used to average around 20mph and not have to keep changing gear so often to keep the momentum flowing

I expect that if the motor cut out at 18mph, I’d be able to manage 20mph with ease on the same trails, but that’s just a guess

At one point yesterday evening at Dalby I caught up two guys on MTB’s on an ascent. I deliberately held back as I didn’t want to overtake them and just slowly trundled up the trail with ease. Once the trail flattened out and the fun started I couldn’t keep up with them, all I saw was dust and they were gone, must have been riding well over 20mph whereas I was flat out at 18mph. There’s no point to my story, just noticed that 18mph seems to be my average ‘flat’ trail speed
It's funny you should say that Tubby G.
I remember Guy Kestabin saying on one of his vids about the Fantic Integra that it could exceed the limit and still give assist subject to your cadence. I'll see if I can find the vid ?

Ramsyzool

Jun 5, 2021
United Kingdom
I've commuted every day for 3 years by bike. 1 year on a non electric and 2 on electric. The first electric I had was a gtech sport and it served a purpose but was completely restricted to the limiter as the single gear belt drive just didn't allow you to go any faster. Now I have a shimano mid drive bike and the difference is phenomenal. I can now use the gears to cycle past the limiter.

However, 15mph is still simply too slow for any commute over 5 miles. I have found (from testing on private land) that when your motor doesn't cut out at 15 but instead 20, you don't therefore hurtle along permanently at 20 - you simply have more freedom to control your speed to suit the road you are on. Half of my commute is through a nature reserve and to go faster than 12mph or thereabouts is simply dangerous with all of the dog walkers and wildlife. So even though my motor allows me to 15mph legally, I control it to go slower even though I could hurtle along the paths faster and perfectly legally risking myself and others. A 20mph limit should be seen the same way. My experience on private land was that it takes a concerted decision, effort and using the correct gears to climb to 20 and keep it there. Providing you are sound of mind, choosing to lower your cadence or apply gentle braking if in an area where 20 isn't appropriate should be agreeable to everyone. I do get it though, many people are too selfish or unaware to be able to control themselves so perhaps the 15mph limit is correct... However, the cost of these machines already basically limits them to adults with stable incomes. You'd hope these people would be responsible? For a responsible adult, 15mph is simply not enough as the second you are on a flat cycle path with good visibility, it is just frustrating and off putting and would potentially lead you to just using the car the next day. After all that waffling, I don't actually know how I feel. I just know that I personally think 20mph should be the goal providing the motor requires some conscious effort to get there and doesn't just zip to that speed by simply tickling the pedals.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
You'll never get the law changed to increase the assist speed to 20mph.
A petition was raised in the U.K. but it got nowhere. We are still arguing about legalising e-scooters.
The French have imposed huge fines on anyone caught supplying, riding or modifying ebikes to do more than 15.5mph.

lt's only the Americans that allow 20mph, but many ebikes can be set to USA using an aftermarket app if you want to, and it's unlikely you will ever get caught.
The Police also seem to turn a blind eye to e-scooters in the U.K. as long as you ride them sensibly.

l wouldn't risk de restricting your ebike if you live in France though.

Personally l am OK with 15.5mph but l can fully understand why some would want the extra 4mph if commuting to work etc.

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I've commuted every day for 3 years by bike. 1 year on a non electric and 2 on electric. The first electric I had was a gtech sport and it served a purpose but was completely restricted to the limiter as the single gear belt drive just didn't allow you to go any faster. Now I have a shimano mid drive bike and the difference is phenomenal. I can now use the gears to cycle past the limiter.

However, 15mph is still simply too slow for any commute over 5 miles. I have found (from testing on private land) that when your motor doesn't cut out at 15 but instead 20, you don't therefore hurtle along permanently at 20 - you simply have more freedom to control your speed to suit the road you are on. Half of my commute is through a nature reserve and to go faster than 12mph or thereabouts is simply dangerous with all of the dog walkers and wildlife. So even though my motor allows me to 15mph legally, I control it to go slower even though I could hurtle along the paths faster and perfectly legally risking myself and others. A 20mph limit should be seen the same way. My experience on private land was that it takes a concerted decision, effort and using the correct gears to climb to 20 and keep it there. Providing you are sound of mind, choosing to lower your cadence or apply gentle braking if in an area where 20 isn't appropriate should be agreeable to everyone. I do get it though, many people are too selfish or unaware to be able to control themselves so perhaps the 15mph limit is correct... However, the cost of these machines already basically limits them to adults with stable incomes. You'd hope these people would be responsible? For a responsible adult, 15mph is simply not enough as the second you are on a flat cycle path with good visibility, it is just frustrating and off putting and would potentially lead you to just using the car the next day. After all that waffling, I don't actually know how I feel. I just know that I personally think 20mph should be the goal providing the motor requires some conscious effort to get there and doesn't just zip to that speed by simply tickling the pedals.

Yes 15mph on tarmac is ridiculously slow. If I commuted on a bike I doubt I’d choose to use the emtb, unless there are loads of urban features to jump on & off en route (a fat middle aged bloke in a suit doing that though might raise a few eyebrows!)

Saltyc

Apr 5, 2021
St ives

Quite right...
It's all about the software management and peddle input. And as you say its about getting back what u put in o))
Plus as responsible adults which is pretty much the emtb market our rational dictates speed usage.

However 18mph is still a safe speed regardless but as you all comment would make the difference both commuting and for fun on trails... o))

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
It's one of those questions as to whether "I" should be allowed compared to everybody.

Off road I see no need for more.

My commute is around 13km, so it would be really nice to have support at higher speeds. However, most bike commuters here in Hamburg are elbows out, eyes blinkered, uncooperative, impolite egotists, so they certainly shouldn't get it!

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
in hilly terrain you can easily get an average over 15mph/25kmh. boosting hills up with 15/25 and descening with 40+
In flats its another thing, 15mph/25kmh is boring for sure, but any fast analog XC hardtail or gravelbike will fix it.
so, in my oppinion, no need to increase the limits.
For some unexperienced people, who bought their first e-Bike, the limit should be drastically decreased ?

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
The UK e-scooter trial is relevant. You have to have a driving licence - category Q. You have to have insurance (comes with the rental). Drink-driving, careless and dangerous driving laws apply to scooters. Some cycle-ways do not allow e-scooters.

UK Government scooter guidance

At the moment e-bikes follow pretty much all the same rules as push bikes. It would be easy to raise your head above the parapet, only to discover some new composite legislation, bracketing e-bikes and scooters together, and applying all sorts of pesky restrictions that we don't now have.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
The UK e-scooter trial is relevant. You have to have a driving licence - category Q. You have to have insurance (comes with the rental). Drink-driving, careless and dangerous driving laws apply to scooters. Some cycle-ways do not allow e-scooters.

UK Government scooter guidance

At the moment e-bikes follow pretty much all the same rules as push bikes. It would be easy to raise your head above the parapet, only to discover some new composite legislation, bracketing e-bikes and scooters together, and applying all sorts of pesky restrictions that we don't now have.
And to add insult to injury, electric skateboards like my boosted board technically isn't categorised so it is free to achieve speeds of up to 20-25mph ?

Aikone

May 28, 2021
UK
I considered getting one of the faster rated ebikes imported into the U.K. to get the 28mph limit, it wasn’t the type approved registration process, or the number plate, tax, MOT & insurance that put me off, more that when I commute to the main office 12 of the 26 miles is cycle paths where a speed pedelec isn’t permitted, the alternative is mostly dual carriageways, oh and I’m the only member of the family with a motorbike licence so no-one else could use it.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
There's a fair few "speed pedelecs" razzing round near here, some appear to be able to do over 60mph

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
Whilst not new to cycling, I’m new to electric bikes
Whilst still getting used to the motor, I’ll be learning on trail and road as predominately the majority of my time over the past 6 months was on a gravel bike and mtb only used at weekends.
I cycle for exercise, fun, thrills enjoyment and de stressing, whilst I will no doubt be doing the trails faster or at least twice I don’t think I’d want to necessarily do them 3/5 mph faster, as there has to be some form of sweat and next day pain!

Now, I appreciate, I’m in the honeymoon period and comparing gravel/mtb to ebike, so many variables between both,
My daily ride done normally on gravel bike was comical today on the electric bike, most noticeable when i out pedal the motor, hit a hill and don’t breath out my behind.
My early thoughts are, the 15mph limit is fine……. Any faster can be easily pedalled with cardio reward, it is after all a pedal bike! If I wanted faster, I’d change the chain ring

ps - I’ll be in the corner, if anyone wants to kick me for my thoughts!

Saltyc

Apr 5, 2021
St ives
Yes 15mph on tarmac is ridiculously slow. If I commuted on a bike I doubt I’d choose to use the emtb, unless there are loads of urban features to jump on & off en route (a fat middle aged bloke in a suit doing that though might raise a few eyebrows!)
On tarmac to be honest I would get a good analogue racer type bike as 20mph is seriously no effort.
Whilst not new to cycling, I’m new to electric bikes
Whilst still getting used to the motor, I’ll be learning on trail and road as predominately the majority of my time over the past 6 months was on a gravel bike and mtb only used at weekends.
I cycle for exercise, fun, thrills enjoyment and de stressing, whilst I will no doubt be doing the trails faster or at least twice I don’t think I’d want to necessarily do them 3/5 mph faster, as there has to be some form of sweat and next day pain!

Now, I appreciate, I’m in the honeymoon period and comparing gravel/mtb to ebike, so many variables between both,
My daily ride done normally on gravel bike was comical today on the electric bike, most noticeable when i out pedal the motor, hit a hill and don’t breath out my behind.
My early thoughts are, the 15mph limit is fine……. Any faster can be easily pedalled with cardio reward, it is after all a pedal bike! If I wanted faster, I’d change the chain ring

ps - I’ll be in the corner, if anyone wants to kick me for my thoughts!
I kinda agree with you on the effort - reward angle. It may be that on a bosch motor in emtb and turbo mode when you reach 15mph the motor doesn't uncouple quickly enough to push through . Now my legs aren't what they used to be but still on fire.
it's like your peddling the motor rather than the bike? Any one else have this issue which is where the need + 3mph actually stems from.

Gordon

Oct 18, 2018
Porto Portugal
So been E ing for a while and really getting to grips with "how to get the best out of my ride.com"

Trek powerfly 9.7 Bosch Performance CX with 85 nm update.

Now i totally get the de-resriction legality and agree on this as frankly is dangerous even in capable hands and for sure puts riders exposure to injury way up there.

However and after 300 odd miles of local trails and centres faaaast and cruisy, plus 20 odd years of analogue lunacy o)) I am more and more convinced that a 3mph increase would really give the EMTB experience a seriously good step up to proper flow when riding trails that we all love.

WHY?
Bare with me on this;

Undulating terrain - Now this is where +3mph really would be game on. Motor de coupling is just not instant at +15 mph well not on mine anyway so when you are in that trough on undulating terrain / trails that sucks the speed down + 3mph would actually give you that little boost to keep your flow going on the uphill side = BIG grins all the way.

Decents
I find that switching to eco or tour de-couples the bosch that bit quicker + most of us will travel faster than 18mph so no issue here.

Average spped
On most trails with a reasonable fitness I recon the average speed of any MTB - e or not is 18 mph?

On flat
18 mph Is still a very manegable speed for all levels and not a safety issue as stopping times would not be increasedmuch more than 1ft if that.

On a non technical gradient
18mph would probably be used, is still a very managable speed for all levels and not a safety issue for riders and non riders alike.

On technical gradient
+3 is just a bonus, would you use it all? probably not as on this type of terrain motor software is king +3 mph or no.

Summary
E biking is all about fun and that it is. However we all search for more out of our sports as is the nature of us all. Surely E bike manufacturers are thinking of ways to make the e bike experience better and better with lighter bikes, better performance etc etc but maye this has not been concidered as is actually a very realistic and flipping awesome upgrade that we would all just love.

It might be that I just love to rag trails and always search for more without having to spend a shit load of dollar, but with a conservative head we would all seriously benfit from this

For those that say its maybe be concidered a hazard i would say that I am sure the average EMTBerrrrs rational and skill level would dictate dictate how fast they travel on a trail and come to think about it could actually deter those that would get a full derestriction as18mph is actually a good speed to travel at for fun, taking in the wild woods we roam and for sure would make the difference without compromising safety.

ROB :)

It would be so good if this could get a vote type thing - dow - found poll option but feel free to edit vote options)

... and of course your thoughts on this one, maybe pass it out there to industry peoples. Who knows as this might actually get passed through to the honjos of the EMTB world.

LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN o))
I'm too modest to "Bare" with you, and I don't understand what your yes/no vote choice actually means. Off road I find the factory 25kph limit is fine but on the tarmack getting to the trails it would be great to have an extra 4kph to keep up with my acoustic mates.

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
My jam2 has been set to USA settings since 5 miles old. 1600 miles later what I’ve realised is the most important criteria on its replacement is being able to load stunlocker and change to USA (so Shimano only it seems). It’s funny, as soon as I turned the pedal after I took delivery I knew 15mph felt a bit abrupt and early with its cut off. Ever since it’s been set at 20mph it’s felt perfect and I’ve never ever considered raising it further.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I used STUnlocker on my bike for a bit to get 32kmh instead of 25. Now I'm back to 25 and have no intention of de-restricting again, even though I'm far more likely to reach the limiter now than when I had the higher speed available. Bottom line is I get off my bike with a smile every ride and I've done myself some exercise. So all is good just as it is.

If I were commuting to my ride I'd probably want a bit more. A 23kg bike with knobbly tyres (even hard as a rock) has a ton of drag on the road. I lost my keys once and had to ride home for the spares. Once was enough... :) I really would have appreciated the extra help of a higher speed. On the same ride on me e-Gravel bike with a faster rolling tyre it's a breeze above the limit. If I was commuting to work on my EMTB I'd definitely have a set of spare wheels with a 2.1 slick tyre for the week. Or an e-Road or E-Gravel bike.

And while I know a bunch or riders who could handle more assistance I also see new riders every week who might be better off with less. As did I when I got back on the bike. It's a balancing act as to what should be allowed and I think it'd be nearly impossible to stop newer riders from killing themselves if all bike could just go really fast. So my vote is it's enough now. If you're already to fast for the 25kmh limit them maybe get onto a low powered or non-assisted bike instead.

Gordon

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Why did you set the maximum assist speed back to 15mph if you were fully competent riding at the higher assist speed of 20mph and found it better on the road?

You can adjust the settings so you get exercise whether the maximum is set at 15 or 20.
Just set it to "eco" and try to maintain 18mph

Ramsyzool

Jun 5, 2021
United Kingdom
My jam2 has been set to USA settings since 5 miles old. 1600 miles later what I’ve realised is the most important criteria on its replacement is being able to load stunlocker and change to USA (so Shimano only it seems). It’s funny, as soon as I turned the pedal after I took delivery I knew 15mph felt a bit abrupt and early with its cut off. Ever since it’s been set at 20mph it’s felt perfect and I’ve never ever considered raising it further.

I've had concerns about legality/warranty while using Stunlocker (on private land of course) but I completely agree with you. I could not go back to the 15mph limiter (so of course I now only use my ebike on private land) and have like you, decided that every bike I get in the future needs to have the same capability to be 'altered' or I simply have no interest and would just use my non electric bike instead. 15mph really feels limp if you are on a flat for any longer than a hundred yards or so, assuming you are at least somewhat experienced of a rider...

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
It might be worth adding that I ride my bike 95% in a reduced eco mode and 5% trail mode. The reduced eco mode basically makes me feel like I’m quick but riding fairly naturally. Obviously on fast sections of single track the motor isn’t in use but out of slow corners you have something to fire you out up to 20mph whereas at 15mph I’d be pedalling a heavy bike back up to speed

Saltyc

Apr 5, 2021
St ives
It might be worth adding that I ride my bike 95% in a reduced eco mode and 5% trail mode. The reduced eco mode basically makes me feel like I’m quick but riding fairly naturally. Obviously on fast sections of single track the motor isn’t in use but out of slow corners you have something to fire you out up to 20mph whereas at 15mph I’d be pedalling a heavy bike back up to speed
You ve hit the nail on the head my man...and that's where the +3 comes in to itself.
It's not about commuting e bikes as are totally different it's on trails on full fat full Suss ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Just change modes then...

Ramsyzool

Jun 5, 2021
United Kingdom
I'm here on this forum as a non emtb'er. I primarily subscribed because of a specific thread I had a question for. I'm actually a hybrid ebiker so my usage is probably different to people here. From my perspective as a ebike commuter is that 20mph as a limit point is perfect, even though most of my commute is spent below that as much of my route just isn't appropriate for those speeds. For at least 1/4 of the journey though, 15mph is just not adequate. Especially when you're getting regularly passed by children on e scooters at that speed.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Well, those who want their ebike to do 20mph will have to continue to be rebels, living on the fringes of society, always watching their backs.

As the law will never change, there's no more chance of the limit being raised to 20mph as there is of Segways being legalised.

Last edited:

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
So whilst I'm reminded that I haven't revealed my most powerful emtb on my YouTube channel, I use it as an example.

The Tsunami was purpose built by myself 2 years ago in the hope that when the EWSE was announced, I would have more incentive to enter as a privateer (yeah, yeah. Laugh it up!!!).
Anywho, my sole intention was to build a rig which could (on a consistent basis) 'destroy the competition' without question. In an effort for me to ensure this, I was forced to fully unlock the motors power by advanced program settings of torque, return speed value, nominal current, maximum current, maximum discharge etc. This in turn forced me to seek out a custom 52v 21amp reention darado battery indicative of the frame design.
Yes, in my blissfully ignorant ways, I tested the bike on trails and one bike park (which I will not outline which one). The point being is that it is a different sensation you feel when a motor (160 newton meters of torque, peeking at over 2000wh with over a kilowatt battery at your disposal which can exceed 28mph without issue and ease) is propelling a rider who may not be use to that type of speed and power.
I learned (the hard way), why eebs are restricted. And whilst I live to tell the tale, I do feel that 15mph is more than enough (on or off road).

Oh yeah, if anyone's gonna ask questions about the bike, await for the vid. All will be explained ??

20210612_155959.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles