Shock Trunnion bolt alternatives? +warning to others

Doug85

Feb 8, 2024
Scotland
Hi id like to weigh in on this as doing it right now fitting a new 2024 X2 i used a T Allen wrench the small bit make sure you only use this side, slide it right in it'll take up near all the bit and Very gentle apply pressure with both hands one directly iver the head part! You will hear a loud as heck crack when they breaks the torque specs but its worked first time both sides just popped and came out no bother! Hope this helps someone else

20241001_224330.jpg 20241001_224321.jpg

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Ah Cubes infamous quality control. Some bikes get thread lock, some don't.
Some bolts are torqued to spec, others are done up by Popeye, and if you're really lucky some bolts aren't done up at all 😆

IMG_20230510_171722.jpg

As another heads up, I finally got round to trying the Vitus trunnion bolt, it doesn't fit.
It's too short in length and the head diameter is too large meaning it hits the frame, so don't bother with one of them.

I've got a Trek bolt coming, I'll let you know how that one goes, but if they don't fit I'll be making my own.

I've still had zero luck finding an official cube bolt, crazy!

Last edited:

Dubreak

Oct 31, 2019
Dublin, Ireland
A quick fix until the new bolt arrives.

I drilled two blind holes in the bolt and knocked up a rough pin spanner.

YESTori.jpg

Hopefully I can tighten it with the pin spanner and there is just enough bite left in the hex to torque it up.
I wont be using any thread lock but it should only be for a ride or two, at least I can get out on the bike.

This is also another good method for removing a stuck bolt before trying a screw extractor (y)
That is very clever. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles