Shimano EP8RS (EP801) and phone charging options

anonymous.dzordz

Oct 13, 2024
Poland
Hi Folks!

What are the ways of phone charging from your emtb battery? I am asking specifically about Orbea Rise with Shimano EP8 RS. My bike by default does not come with any EN controller/display.

Thanks

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
What are the ways of phone charging from your emtb battery?
It's messy with Shimano. You need to fit a 12V to USB adapter to your light output. Then run cables as neatly as possible.

I fitted a powerbank to the top tube using quad lock mounts instead. Really neat install. Keeps my Iphone at 100% all day with screen on max brightness. Works really well.

1728910257007.png

anonymous.dzordz

Oct 13, 2024
Poland
Thanks for response Astro.

Option with powerbanl is too bulky. Why would I use it while having emtb 🧐

12V USB adapter you mentioned - is it some shimano factory cable you route inside frame, from battery to the steering bar? You have a part number?

anonymous.dzordz

Oct 13, 2024
Poland
Clear. Have you observed any degradation in battery longevity with phone charging on? Also I assume you need to enable output on this termination/switch via app?

Thanks mate!

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Have you observed any degradation in battery longevity with phone charging on?
I don't have the charger wired in. I have a light.
Also I assume you need to enable output on this termination/switch via app?
I have a light switch on my controller. So you just turn it on when you want to charge.

1729119063421.png

You may need to adjust the wattage output, of the light output. I can do that using the MiniMax software. It's free to download, but you need a programming cable.

As I said. It's quite a cumbersome procedure. Hence why I use the quad locked powerbank shown above.
1729119236590.png

HandsomeDanNZ

Subscriber
Jun 16, 2024
Auckland NZ
Lot’s of useful info. Noticed that your bike is unlocked to 85Nm and 50km/h 😅

Any issues with motor after that?

The programming kit you use is it PCE02?
I can answer that from a Shimano EP6 point of view - I bought my bike from a dealer that had just had the Shimano rep in who unlimited mine to 45km/h. I have no issues whatsoever - in fact the EP801 and EP6 are used on a few cargo and commuter bikes here in NZ which have a to passist speed of 45km/h as standard, so it's clearly not an issue for the motor.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Lot’s of useful info. Noticed that your bike is unlocked to 85Nm and 50km/h 😅

That's not my bike. It's just a screen grab I copied from the internet. I have an EP600, not an EP801. But my bike is also de-restricted.
Any issues with motor after that?
Motor has been perfect. I only use the 50kph limit when I'm on the road or in Bike Parks.

I want the extra speed for bike parks, for the jumps. Nothing worse than hitting the limiter as you approach the jump, then hit the jump too slow, and knuckle the jump.

But when on trails, I leave the limit at 25kph. The MiniMax phone App allows you to change the speed limit very easily.
The programming kit you use is it PCE02?
Yes I have this cable. It cost AUD$220.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles