Shimano EP8 dead

Drewboy59

Sep 10, 2021
Nottingham
Evening all, I have a Nukeproof Megawatt with EP8 motor and it has been perfect (sorry Bosch lovers) for 3 years now. I drove 140 miles to Daley today only for the motor to be completely dead. The controller turns on as normal and scrolls through the modes but there is no power at the crank. There are no fault codes at all. I’m home now and have tried the app which says it needs the firmware overwriting but fails every time.
is it deceased ☠️☠️?
i’m not overly technical and don’t really bother with the inner workings of the app!

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
My E8000 last words were: "E010"...
I think yours may not be gone yet, not without any error message. How many miles does it have? Did open the cover and check all the cable connectors?

Drewboy59

Sep 10, 2021
Nottingham
My E8000 last words were: "E010"...
I think yours may not be gone yet, not without any error message. How many miles does it have? Did open the cover and check all the cable connectors?
Hi Birdie, thanks for replying.

No I’ve just thrown it in the garage in disgust! I’ve spoken with my LBS who is a Shimano centre and they think it’s a firmware issue and they should be able to force new firmware into it to overwrite any existing. Fingers crossed.

dirtboy63

Dec 18, 2022
Ventura ca
Evening all, I have a Nukeproof Megawatt with EP8 motor and it has been perfect (sorry Bosch lovers) for 3 years now. I drove 140 miles to Daley today only for the motor to be completely dead. The controller turns on as normal and scrolls through the modes but there is no power at the crank. There are no fault codes at all. I’m home now and have tried the app which says it needs the firmware overwriting but fails every time.
is it deceased ☠️☠️?
i’m not overly technical and don’t really bother with the inner workings of the app!
This exact happened to a few of my friends and it was a loose connection. One wire had gotten pulled out from the back of the computer during transportation. check to be sure the wires are firmly plugged in, you need to use a little force to feel them snap in.

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
This exact happened to a few of my friends and it was a loose connection. One wire had gotten pulled out from the back of the computer during transportation. check to be sure the wires are firmly plugged in, you need to use a little force to feel them snap in.
This is the first place to look. IT has happened to me more than once particularly when transporting the bike in the SUV.

Drewboy59

Sep 10, 2021
Nottingham
well I took my bike to my local shop, Bunneys Bikes in Nottingham and they weren’t able to breathe life into it. They spoke to Shimano/Madison and decided to send the motor to them for investigation. They asked me to provide proof of purchase which I did showing that I purchased it new in September 2021. A couple of days later the bike shop rang to confirm that Shimano would replace the motor free off charge. The new motor was received by the bike shop yesterday and I collected it this morning.

I have read a lot here and elsewhere about how poor the service is at Shimano or Shitmano as it is often called, but I think this is certainly more than I could have hoped for with a motor that is really out of warranty.
Matt at Bunneys Bikes and the people at Shimano/Madison have been superb.
It’s very easy to condemn the corporate giants as uncaring money obsessed machines but ultimately they are real people who seemingly do care about their customers and their reputation.

Thanks Matt & thanks Shimano.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Hi Birdie, thanks for replying.

No I’ve just thrown it in the garage in disgust! I’ve spoken with my LBS who is a Shimano centre and they think it’s a firmware issue and they should be able to force new firmware into it to overwrite any existing. Fingers crossed.
Guess what...
The shimano E8000 that was returned to me from madison, when they refused to warranty because I had turned it to di2 using a third party software, and that I have been keeping as a possible source for parts for the last two years, is now working again :O
I had never even tried to use it again, since I had bought another motor, but last week, while checking the bolt torque on my actual motor, I resolved, just in case, to try to connect the old motor to the wiring and for my absolute surprise it was not displaying the error message anymore, its working again and I put it back on the bike and have done 100 km without a problem.
So, I believe that when they checked the motor they removed the error message. Either this or the error 010 message was due to moist inside the unit that has dried along these years of rest, anyhow, I have now two motors working good and with 5.000 km on each of them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles