Service a Lyric Ultimate

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’d like to update my 10/2019 (assume that’s a 2020 model?) Lyric Ultimate 160mm to have the 2021 upgrade to stop the sag with no load.
They appear to be out of stock everywhere, and have a 4-5 weeks delivery... but I’m not in a massive hurry.

It’d make sense to do the service at the same time.
I’ve never serviced a fork before, but as an ex-instrument tech I’ve spent years stripping down, cleaning and changing seals on pressure devices... so I’m sure I can follow a YouTube video without too much difficulty.

The real question is what exactly do I need to buy in to do this. I have all the tools - but which seal / service kit, what oil, what grease etc is required.

Any expert advice or pointers appreciated ??

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
The upgrade is straightforward per the SRAM video (although the vid I saw shows the upgrade to 2019 spring).

if your fork does not has the new low friction SKF seals (turquoise colour) then you'll want them (post 2015).

If you buy the kit to upgrade rather than the full spring then you will need someway to hold the shaft without any damage in a vice. I've seen specific SRAM lock collars for this for sale but they are about £20. Best just to buy the full spring I think.

The oil specified is SRAM 0-30w. You can buy it in small quantity. You'll need a syringe to measure/insert it (10ml each leg).

This work can be carried out with the fork left in the bike but I have always found it easier to remove the fork for a leg service.

Good luck with it.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Just checking.... is this all I need?

200 hr service kit:

Full Debonair Shaft Upgrade:

SRAM Oil:

SRAM Grease:

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Instead of the service kit you posted buy this:

The rest looks good.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Instead of the service kit you posted buy this:

The rest looks good.

Much cheaper, but looks like it’s got a lot less seals? I bought my Lyric second hand, so don’t know how much use it’s had prior to the time I’ve had it. I thought I’d go for the 200hr service so I knew what was what.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Much cheaper, but looks like it’s got a lot less seals? I bought my Lyric second hand, so don’t know how much use it’s had prior to the time I’ve had it. I thought I’d go for the 200hr service so I knew what was what.
You need the seals and the foam rings. Nothing else. Some of the items in your Upgrade spring are part of that 200hr service kit.

All the best :)

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
You'll also need SRAM Butter to grease seals and inside stanchions. Beside seals and foam rings it's good to have new crush washers as old ones might or might not seal up the lower leg bolts ...

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
You'll also need SRAM Butter to grease seals and inside stanchions. Beside seals and foam rings it's good to have new crush washers as old ones might or might not seal up the lower leg bolts ...
SRAM now recommend to use Dynamic Seal Grease on the air spring internals as well as the wiper seals. Must now add 0.5ml/3ml of 0w30 oil to the air spring assembly as well as the the 10ml to each lower leg.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
You need the seals and the foam rings. Nothing else. Some of the items in your Upgrade spring are part of that 200hr service kit.

All the best :)

Will these seals make that much difference ? - my partners Liv has Gold 35 RL's and the stiction is terrible. Her first eMTB and doesn't know any better but compared to my Fox 36 Floats they are really sticky - they don't even sag when she sits on the bike (but she is only 55Kg). I was thinking they would get smoother with use but its been 6 months... I've pulled them apart and made sure they had oil etc. Tried silicon in the seals. LBS indicates that the issue is typical of RockShox and I'm not the first person to mention it...

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
I dont think the seals will be the defining feature of your forks.

On a cheap fork replace the seals with a cheap seal. An expensive seal will probably leak quite quickly on a fork without tight tolerances.

Rockshox seem to have worked hard to get a great performing fork in the Lyrik. When it's time to replace the seals, replace them with the best you can get. Simples :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles