Seeking advice on conversion kit

Good At Falling Off

Feb 6, 2023
Melbourne
Good evening riders.

Iv recently moved to Australia and want to get out and see the sights with my family.

Iv been given a Bafang BBSHD 1000W mid drive conversion kit, with C18 display, 52w 20Ah battery, all new and boxed up.

But really don't know a suitable frame to install it on. From looking online, I have a 62mm shaft on the motor, so need a bike with standard 62mm bottom bracket (I think).

I was looking at some Trek bikes but believe they have their own standard for bottom brackets.

So I think maybe now I'm better off with like a Giant ATX or a Merida Big Seven.

Usage will be for predominantly sealed roads, as a commuter bike so I figure a more road by bike type over an offroad mountain bike type. I don't want a road racer type bike though. Harder wheels I suppose?

Budget is up to $1000 AUD but could push slightly higher.

I'm a total cycling novice so apologies if none of the above makes much sense!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
I think an older frame will work the best , something with a traditional 68mm threaded bottom bracket. Here's my conversion , a 2014 Banshee Spitfire. Bafang powered Banshee Spitfire

A dual suspension frame will be more bike than you need from your description but something from 2015 or earlier will be an easy and cheap conversion. More recent frames have press fit bottom brackets which require reducers to adapt to the BBSHD.
The biggest challenge will be mounting the battery. I added extra nutserts to the downtube as well as using the existing bottle cage mounts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles