SeeHello from Northamptonshire

Jamsquared

Nov 15, 2019
Rushden, UK
Hi all, so black Friday struck early and after being brainwashed by Google ads for a week, I had to buy a Jam2 6.8 plus from Rutland last monday. Taking it to chicksands in the morning maybe to see how it compares to my reign. Fingers crossed. So far I changed the handle bars to renthals and put a 2.5 wt high roller 2 on the front. The 2.8 rekon is staying on the rear for now. The wheels are race Face ar40 offsets and are impossible to make tubeless. It's the first set of wheels that has beaten me. Brakes seem surprisingly good so far see how they fair when thrown down a hill somewhere steep. Looking forward to proving the whole emtb thing worthwhile. Mostly to keep the better half quiet ;)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I had a couple of wheels which wouldn't go tubeless. In the end went with the flap method \ ghetto tubeless. 24" tubes cut down the middle and stretched onto 27.5s

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...........The wheels are race Face ar40 offsets and are impossible to make tubeless. It's the first set of wheels that has beaten me. ................

My money is on the poor quality rim tape. I've had that problem with a brand new bike before. I even had sealant running from the rim vent hole!
The cure is simple, strip off the old rim tape, degrease and then apply some new tape. My preference is Gorilla tape; it was recommended by the Sherwood Pines Bike Shop tecs, they use it all the time. At least one rider on here doesn't like it, but I have had no problems with it. I buy the 25mm wide tape. On your wheels, I would put one layer to the left and the second to the right. That will leave two layers over the offset spoke holes.

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
Ironically I set the same bike up tubeless last night and was the easiest setup I’ve ever done. Popped one side of bead out, pulled out tube, dropped in valve and pumped back up with track pump to 35 psi so all the bead pinged back in. Let down and applied stans through the valve stem and done. In past I’ve had to have soapy water out with lots of swearing.

Ps I’d love to see a pic of the new front type in 2.5? I was a bit all over the place on the long mynd today but tbh I’ve never seen such muddy conditions. I’m new to plus size tyres, is this a 27.5 2.5 tyre or is a 27.5+ 2.5 tyre different ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Winryn The +rim is wider that's all.

You can get ordinary 2.5" tyres to go onto a 40mm rim, but according to Schwalbe they are at the extreme edge of what is OK, see this link.
Tire Dimensions
Once the link has opened, choose "which tyre fits which rim". The page down to the chart. Rim widths across the top, tyre width down the left - all in mm

It shows that a 40mm rim is borderline too wide for a 2.5" tyre (63.5mm) tyre.

But tyre makers like Maxxis make tyres now to fit wider rims better and present a better profile, they call this "WT". which stands for "wide trail". The chart above from Schwalbe was produced before WT was a thing.

For example, this is what I have on my bike.
29 x 2.5 Maxxis High Roller II 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR (did you spot the WT in there?)

This is what Maxxis say:
Wide Trail (WT): This construction optimises the tyre tread layout and profile on today’s modern wide rims. Traditional tyres are designed around older, narrower rims and create and overly square tyre profile, leading to less than optimal performance. WT tyres obtain peak performance when used with an inner rim width of 35mm but are proven to perform exceptionally with rim widths from 30 - 35mm.

I have 30mm internal width on my wheel rim, so at 5mm below the desired 35mm I am slightly sub-optimal. But my tyres feel absolutely great. Whether these tyres will feel equally great at 5mm above the desired 35mm would be for you to decide.

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
@Winryn The +rim is wider that's all.

You can get ordinary 2.5" tyres to go onto a 40mm rim, but according to Schwalbe they are at the extreme edge of what is OK, see this link.
Tire Dimensions
Once the link has opened, choose "which tyre fits which rim". The page down to the chart. Rim widths across the top, tyre width down the left - all in mm

It shows that a 40mm rim is borderline too wide for a 2.5" tyre (63.5mm) tyre.

But tyre makers like Maxxis make tyres now to fit wider rims better and present a better profile, they call this "WT". which stands for "wide trail". The chart above from Schwalbe was produced before WT was a thing.

For example, this is what I have on my bike.
29 x 2.5 Maxxis High Roller II 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR (did you spot the WT in there?)

This is what Maxxis say:
Wide Trail (WT): This construction optimises the tyre tread layout and profile on today’s modern wide rims. Traditional tyres are designed around older, narrower rims and create and overly square tyre profile, leading to less than optimal performance. WT tyres obtain peak performance when used with an inner rim width of 35mm but are proven to perform exceptionally with rim widths from 30 - 35mm.

I have 30mm internal width on my wheel rim, so at 5mm below the desired 35mm I am slightly sub-optimal. But my tyres feel absolutely great. Whether these tyres will feel equally great at 5mm above the desired 35mm would be for you to decide.

Really useful information thanks Steve

Jamsquared

Nov 15, 2019
Rushden, UK
Wow, replies. Where to start... So rim tape is factory fitted by RaceFace as tubeless ready. The issue appears that the wheel is a very slight v shape and I can't get the almost too tight tyres anywhere near the rim bead to start them off. So then the air blast runs out of puff. The new high roller is a wide trail so no issues there, works amazingly well.

The bike at Chicksands at least, is a beast. Throw it anywhere and it just goes very predictable and planted. Jumps well, lands well and it's its own uplift. Sadly the Reigns days seem to be numbered now as Jam2 is as good so far... Need to try it on steep techy rocky trails. Can't help but think a coil rear shock would liven it up a bit. My Reigns Cane creek @200x57 is too short sadly, it transformed that bike.

Pics to follow
Cheers for the replies

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
Wow, replies. Where to start... So rim tape is factory fitted by RaceFace as tubeless ready. The issue appears that the wheel is a very slight v shape and I can't get the almost too tight tyres anywhere near the rim bead to start them off. So then the air blast runs out of puff. The new high roller is a wide trail so no issues there, works amazingly well.

The bike at Chicksands at least, is a beast. Throw it anywhere and it just goes very predictable and planted. Jumps well, lands well and it's its own uplift. Sadly the Reigns days seem to be numbered now as Jam2 is as good so far... Need to try it on steep techy rocky trails. Can't help but think a coil rear shock would liven it up a bit. My Reigns Cane creek @200x57 is too short sadly, it transformed that bike.

Pics to follow
Cheers for the replies

I’ll await pics of the minion but I may well end up with that combo. I’m used to magic Mary’s on past 2 650b bikes and found the grip almost unlimited. Quite happy to have a fast rear tyre that slides out a little (rock razor was my previous favourite) so I’m sure the factory tyre is up to the job

Jamsquared

Nov 15, 2019
Rushden, UK
27.5" X 2.5" WT high roller 2 on The ar40 rims as requested. Very stable and less draggy than the 2.8 rekon + size
IMG_20191124_114107.jpg
IMG_20191124_114039.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles