Scraping noise from Rise H motor

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I am hearing a scraping noise metal to metal from the motor. It may be perfectly normal but not having heard one of these before I want to make sure I am not dealing with a real problem. I hear the motor whir but in addition I hear something like dragging a brake pad on a rotor. Subtle but I can hear it at the same time as the motor noise. There is no noise when I am pedaling with the motor off. So that eliminates the whole drive train and it must be inside the motor. When I am climbing under power and I hear the noise, if I hit a downhill section and the motor pauses, the noise goes away.
I tried to record the noise but with the noise of the wind while riding it masks the sounds in the recording.
Anyone hear anything like what I am talking about?
Thanks

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
on my M10 there is a plastic cover thing on the chainring that can get dirt on it that makes a scrapping sound. I've not worried about it. If its not that I'd be getting it checked out :)

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
It can't be anything in the drive train as I said because I can pedal with the motor off and it is silent. It may just be the gears meshing inside the motor but I just don't know. The motor is the most expensive part of the bike and I would hate to get stuck with an out of warranty repair some day because I did not do something about it.
Unfortunately the dealer is 2000 miles away and there are no Shimano warranty centers within 200 miles.

dthree

Aug 8, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
I hear a similar sound on my H30. Since I haven't had a e-bike before I didn't know if this was normal or not. It has made this sound since it was new. Tried listening to a few videos with EP8 motors and it sounds like they all do it, even though they sound quieter than the motor whine in the videos.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Thanks very much for your reply. I also checked Youtube and found one recording that I thought I heard the sound. So I'll chock it up to "normal" unless someone replies with a concern.
Cheers!

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
My son tells me he hears the same noise from my M10 when he rides it that you describe. I can't really hear it too much...maybe if I listen real close and imagine a noise. I have some high frequency hearing loss from too much moto racing as a kid and I'm now an old goat so I can't hear subtle high pitched noises....like my wife asking me to do something. Anyway, I've had the bike for almost two years now and it's been flawless.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Good to hear. (No pun intended.) Yes it is a high frequency noise so I imagine quite a few owners might not hear it. But there are a number of data points now that say it is normal so that makes me rest easier.
Thanks for the report. I really LOVE the bike. Buying something that expensive sight-unseen is nerve racking though.
BTW My hearing is pretty good but I do have a hole in the honey-do frequencies :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles