Saying hello and hesitant about going full VTT/eMTB

andersondotau

Jul 19, 2024
French Pyrenees
Hello from the French Pyrenees, wonderful road and as I am discovering wonderful off road/MTB cycling area. I have started with a hard tail/hybrid ebike that is great but doesn't quite hack it if I go off road and even gets a bit too shaken up on the rough forest tracks. My French son in law is advising me to take the leap and go full eMTB, I hesitate as I still have a desire to go touring/road cycling and don't really want to have two ebikes due to cost, space etc. I suspect an eMTB without great suspension travel (that would be OK for touring etc) would be another compromise and not much better than what I have now. I guess the only answer is to have two ebikes, one with great MTB specs....thanks for this forum, I am finding it interesting.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Get a full suspension emtb, have fun on the trails.
When you want to go touring, pump up the suspension, or lock it out whatever you have to do to firm it up. Then either change tyres for something more roady OR just pump up the mtb tyres.

Sell the hard tail emtb now while it is still young.

Matt van

Jun 1, 2023
Canberra ACT
with a hardtail bike which I have, you need to stand a bit to get your legs to take the bumps out of it, if that doesn't work the trails your riding are full sus tracks so you'll need to decide what you want to ride on very rough trails or smoother pathways etc, I have a hardtail and when it gets rough on me I stand with a bent leg and that does help. try that as everything is a compromise with these things. you can make it not so rough by putting a seat post suspension on it and or bigger volume tyres to soak up the rougher trails?? its like getting a race car or a 4wd car both are good but you cant cross them over.

andersondotau

Jul 19, 2024
French Pyrenees
with a hardtail bike which I have, you need to stand a bit to get your legs to take the bumps out of it, if that doesn't work the trails your riding are full sus tracks so you'll need to decide what you want to ride on very rough trails or smoother pathways etc, I have a hardtail and when it gets rough on me I stand with a bent leg and that does help. try that as everything is a compromise with these things. you can make it not so rough by putting a seat post suspension on it and or bigger volume tyres to soak up the rougher trails?? its like getting a race car or a 4wd car both are good but you cant cross them over.
Thanks for the suggestions, yes I often standup to use my legs, although the bike does get a bit shaken up still. For the present I am tackling the downhill a bit slower (lots of drainage channels on the forest roads) and being selective of the MTB tracks I am choosing.

lar1337

Jul 26, 2024
United Kingdom
Motor turns a long travel enduro bike into a tourer! Maybe like some have said pump up tires a bit or even spare set of touring wheels/tyres 😊👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles