Santa Cruz Vala

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
I will get a XO RSv Kit next week… the Price was to good to say no 😅
I went with the base R model. I worked out I could upgrade the the Lyrik to Ultimate spec,. Add Hope brakes and wheels for the same price as the the S model. I would end up with a higher spec bike. I hate SRAM brakes and E13 hubs , had both and had trouble with them and a short life. Hope brakes and hubs are great. The S model only comes with base Fox 38 so I also get a better fork. I also did not want AXS shifting, I have it on my road bike (and love it) but for an E-MTB I think it is a waste of money, I change gear less and wear out drive trains quite quickly riding all year in the Tweed Valley.

mikegarf

May 2, 2023
Manchester
Had a look at the new Vala in my LBS yesterday. It looks ok but imo it isn't as nice aesthetically as their VPP models. Some of that Santa cruz magic is missing visually me.
I'm not saying it's a bad bike by any means and I'm sure the build quality and ride quality is still great. Just a personal observation.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
I have to say it, why and the heck are people still buying e trail bikes? Time and time again I see people looking for more travel than the 150-160mm of travel their trail bikes have. Just buy the big e bike you will want in a couple months anyway. Over forking and long shocking are just bandages for poor decisions.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
I have to say it, why and the heck are people still buying e trail bikes? Time and time again I see people looking for more travel than the 150-160mm of travel their trail bikes have. Just buy the big e bike you will want in a couple months anyway. Over forking and long shocking are just bandages for poor decisions.
Seeing Jackson ripping Vala it looks like no one will ever need more than 150mm/160mm on a ebike…ever..at any situations.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
160/150 is perfect for the Tweed Valley Trails. I have been riding a 160/160 for the last 5 1/2 years and 30,000k.

I can never understand why people complain about 160 and want to move to 170. For the majority of riders with correctly setup suspension they will never notice the difference. I suspect it is just a bandage to try and fix there ego's which can't stand the idea that they may not be world class riders. ;-)

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That was my point really. People think more suspension travel will help but that is not usually the case.
Yep! I was in the south of France a while ago on some rocky trails. OK, I was on a new bike, one size too small and with a different motor, but I was having fun with my 150/150 travel Kellys bike (could have been 160/150, I didn't measure it). But my son-in law was leaving me for dead on his 100/100 XC bike. In my further defence, he is 20 years younger than me and he used to be in the over 40's British triathlon team. But still 100mm XC bike vs 150 trail bike!!!!! I should have done better! :giggle:

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland

I have been running a Bullit for 4 years and ordered Vala to replace that. Why? I want a lighter and more agile bike, and I want a slimmer down tube. Bullit is heavy, rides like a DH bike with +5kg added. Super hard to even bunny hop as the battery adds weight so far up in downtube. It's a good bike, but really only comes to life at bike parks and high speed downhill.

But for those that want a bigger bike, just get the upcoming new Bullit with the same 4Bar platform as Vala. If I would have to guess, it will come with the larger 800Wh battery.

Anyhow, waiting for the Vala X0 RSV bikes to arrive in EU. Anyone got news about them?

Last edited:

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
I have been running a Bullit for 4 years and ordered Vala to replace that. Why? I want a lighter and more agile bike, and I want a slimmer down tube. Bullit is heavy, rides like a DH bike with +5kg added. Super hard to even bunny hop as the battery adds weight so far up in downtube. It's a good bike, but really only comes to life at bike parks and high speed downhill.

But for those that want a bigger bike, just get the upcoming new Bullit with the same 4Bar platform as Vala. If I would have to guess, it will come with the larger 800Wh battery.

Anyhow, waiting for the Vala X0 RSV bikes to arrive in EU. Anyone got news about them?
Vala is a better bike than the bullet. The e unit forced the link higher and as a result the bullet sucks under braking. That’s why Santa Cruz went to a 4 bar link suspension. I just wish they would replace the bullet with a better design…… as for e bikes being to heavy, watch some motorcycle trials and talk to me about weight.

Ride 2d@y

Jul 12, 2023
Mexico
I like the Vala because it is designed to be light with only 600 battery and looks good in a "proportional' kind of way - add Bosch it's the perfect "lifetime investment" for us retired boomers etc
PS: My wheels never leave the ground these days

HandsomeDanNZ

Subscriber
Jun 16, 2024
Auckland NZ
I have come to a 150/160 eBike from an analogue 170/170 enduro rig and I have to say, the eBike feels at least as well supported and capable as my old analogue rig.
In fact, I would go so far as to say it feels like it has more capability than my old bike did and feels plusher and better in every way.

Flo7

Nov 27, 2021
Austria
So, my bike arrived today...

WhatsApp Image 2024-10-22 at 09.00.15.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-10-22 at 09.00.16 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-10-22 at 09.00.16.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-10-22 at 09.16.45.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles