Santa Cruz Heckler SL vs Levo SL

ripeinmay

Jan 24, 2022
Ireland
On the verge of buying a Levo SL Gen 3. I had a chance to demo the Levo SL, really liked the maneuverability and the pop it would get on jumps is a big draw for me as I like riding flow & jump lines vs steep tech.
The only other bike tickling my fancy is the Heckler SL with Fazua ride 60. Which unfortunately I cant demo. Has anyone here tried these 2 bikes? The Levo felt very under powered and burned through the battery in no time. Not the end of the world, just more fitness required. (which is why im going SL) But the Cruz on paper is punchier with a bigger battery, but will there be a sacrifice in playfulness?

Any other bike I should consider? budget 7k euro

(FYI: I currently have a Levo Turbo Alloy 26kg, its too heavy to be playful on the trails, I previously owned an Orbea Rise M20, fun bike but constant issues)

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I've ridden on my Relay with the Fazua 60 next to a '23 Levo SL and I've ridden the Levo SL as well.

The Levo SL motor power delivery felt a touch more natural.

I'd say that the Levo in Turbo mode, is equivalent to the F60 in the middle power rating & that the Levo WITH the extender is still about 10- 20% down on range compared to the F60 with the current 430 watt battery (soon is going to be a 475 watt battery).

I greatly disliked the Levo SL geo in the larger sizes, but it might be your thing. In the future, I'll almost certainly buy my wife a Levo SL but her needs at 120#s and in a size small- medium riding Novice trails, are pretty different than my needs at 180#s on an XL riding double blacks.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Those are very different bikes. If you really want the fun and pop of the Levo then that's what you should get, the Heckler is not going to match it. This is also what I like, and I also want to keep getting a reasonable workout without having to abandon my push-bike friends. The first gen Levo works great for this and despite having a fair bit of time on a Fazua 60 equipped bike I am still happy with my choice, with the increased output of the newer SL motor I think you will be fine.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
If your definition of fun is powering up stuff then by all means; but the OP had ridden a Levo SL, liked the geometry and low weight and was looking for advice on bikes with those characteristics.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Speed isn't necessarily proportional to fun. Bullet-trains are much much faster than that, but they absolutely suck on a jump line...

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
I have had a couple of Gen2 SLs and currently have the Heckler SL. It’s a tough comparison. The Heckler is a lot more like a Levo in its capability but lighter and the new Levo SL rides more like a Stumpjumper. From my perspective, based on what you’re saying you want, the Gen2 Levo SL would suit you better. The Heckler is more capable, has way better power, and way better range. The 50NM of the Levo SL are a really soft 50NM and the range is horrible in comparison. However, you can get a Levo SL under 40lbs with burly tires and it does ride like a trail bike.

dirtdinner

Jun 25, 2024
Australia
Haven't ridden the heckler SL but love the Levo SL2. Power is heaps for me (but I'm only 70kgs). Range is also better than I expected. I get 40kms with a medium assist level and 60kms with the range extender. I have zero desire to ride longer than that. It's an incredible bike (e or otherwise).

JayGoodrich

Aug 11, 2023
Alpine, Wyoming
I have owned and ridden both. The Levo SL is the OG light eBike in my opinion. It climbs exceptionally, descends really well, and just has an overall fit and finish that I love. The Heckler SL is not lacking in the fit and finish department either. I got my Levo SL down to around 36 pounds in size large pretty easily. My Heckler is tipping the scales at 39 after pulling over 2 pounds out of it and running SRAM XX Transmission and an AXS Seatpost. I will also say that the Santa Cruz advertised weight is spot on in a size large -- 41 and change.

The motor and battery life of the Levo feels stronger than the Trek EX-e I owned for the last year, but it still lacks power and battery life compared to the Heckler SL. Specialized's app is pretty awesome too. Not sure if they still make you take the bike into a dealer for updates, but that is a major bummer for me as the closest bike shop to me is about an hour away and it is literally the worst shop in town. The Fazua app needs help, but Fazua's update software is really, really good and you can use it to tweak the Heckler SL as well.

The Heckler SL does not climb the super steeps as well as the Levo SL, but still does it with riding position adjustment, and in my opinion, does everything else fantastically. I continually say to my wife that the Heckler SL is not only my favorite eBike, but my favorite bike of all time. It descends magically on techie trail, high-speed trail, and even bike park jumps and buffed. The cornering of the bike is next level. The motor is not lacking in any power and the battery lasts a long, long time.

Both bikes are seriously capable climbers from a motor power delivery standpoint. We have a 24 degree slope on our daily trail and both bikes make it up without question (I had to always max my heart rate or push the EX-e for note).

I took the Levo SL on a 22 mile, 4500 vertical feet of climbing ride and it never needed the extender, even though I had it with me -- made it to the parking lot with 2% left. I haven't taken the Heckler on this ride yet, but will before the end of the year. I can say that our daily 15 mile ride with the 24 degree slope and 1200 feet of climbing would have the Levo coming in with about 10% battery left and the Heckler comes in over 40% every time. This is riding both bikes in boost the entire time.

Hope this helps feel free to hit me back if you have specific questions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles