Santa Cruz e35 Carbon Bar 800mm - what is the rise?

UVRail

Sep 13, 2020
London
Hi

On the Santa Cruz website, and on various bike websites, it states a 35mm rise. But looking at the bar, and comparing with others with a 35mm rise, I would say it's nearer 20mm. There are a few (unofficial) websites which do list it as a 20mm.

Would anyone be able to confirm the rise on this bar?

many thanks
UV

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Hi

On the Santa Cruz website, and on various bike websites, it states a 35mm rise. But looking at the bar, and comparing with others with a 35mm rise, I would say it's nearer 20mm. There are a few (unofficial) websites which do list it as a 20mm.

Would anyone be able to confirm the rise on this bar?

many thanks
UV
SC makes both a 20mm & 35mm bar for ebikes, I believe they’re now coming with 35mm from factory (this is what’s on my ‘22 Bullit). I’m actually now running the OneUp Components 35mm e-bar with internal wire routing like SC pioneered, I find it has a bit better compliance over chatter like baby-head rock gardens or blown out braking bumps.

UVRail

Sep 13, 2020
London
SC makes both a 20mm & 35mm bar for ebikes, I believe they’re now coming with 35mm from factory (this is what’s on my ‘22 Bullit). I’m actually now running the OneUp Components 35mm e-bar with internal wire routing like SC pioneered, I find it has a bit better compliance over chatter like baby-head rock gardens or blown out braking bumps.
Thanks - this is the right answer... under the left grip the rise, sweep etc. are printed. Mine is a '21 model, and has the 20mm rise bar. So it looks like the newer Bullits have a 35mm rise bar.. interesting they changed things...

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Thanks - this is the right answer... under the left grip the rise, sweep etc. are printed. Mine is a '21 model, and has the 20mm rise bar. So it looks like the newer Bullits have a 35mm rise bar.. interesting they changed things...
Yes, several bikes and brands have gone to bed ncreased handlebar rise now (if you’re old enough to recall, most DH, & Freeride Bikes used higher rise bars originally) since bikes are copying more of the DH inspired “longer, slacker, lower” frame geometry the higher rise bar puts you in generally better body position, especially on descents.

UVRail

Sep 13, 2020
London
Thanks, it's body position that's my current issue - there's too much weight forward and it's putting pressure on my wrists. tbh, I'm around 185cm tall and went to size L on the Bullit... but I'm on the cusp of an XL so I think the bike might be slightly small. I've shifted the saddle back as far as it goes, and I'm now thinking more rise in the bar will also help. What do you think? Also, I have small bar ends (Ergon GP3 grips) and it states that these are incompatible with many carbon bars (but I am currently using them without any issues). I guess it's because of torsion stress on the bar.. but I can't see that being a massive problem with the relatively modest GP3s. Do you reckon that is something to be concerned about (I use the bar ends to give me more options for body positioning due to my bad back!). Cheers

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Thanks, it's body position that's my current issue - there's too much weight forward and it's putting pressure on my wrists. tbh, I'm around 185cm tall and went to size L on the Bullit... but I'm on the cusp of an XL so I think the bike might be slightly small. I've shifted the saddle back as far as it goes, and I'm now thinking more rise in the bar will also help. What do you think? Also, I have small bar ends (Ergon GP3 grips) and it states that these are incompatible with many carbon bars (but I am currently using them without any issues). I guess it's because of torsion stress on the bar.. but I can't see that being a massive problem with the relatively modest GP3s. Do you reckon that is something to be concerned about (I use the bar ends to give me more options for body positioning due to my bad back!). Cheers
Ah, the back issue… had my surgery about 15 years ago and bike fit is likely an even more important issue for us folks. I’m 189cm and ride XL, my son is 184 and rides Santa Cruz L, so you are in L range but on cusp. At 71years I’m also considerably less flexible than 20 years ago so fit is important, here’s my opinion on bars from my experience and my hard-charging son’s… the bar is a critical component and since we ride a lot of forested, steep twisties in Santa Cruz mountains we both find the higher rise with about 15-20mm spacers under gives more control & confidence. I would also consider cutting the bar width back, I recently looked at survey among enduro pros and it seems most run bars between 760-780mm (I use 790, my son 780mm) at 800mm stock your arms are spread out and arms/wrists get more stress, like doing push-ups with hands too wide. I can’t speak to grips although my son tried Ergon grips but felt limited in his overall hand position (not using horns) and rubber too hard.

UVRail

Sep 13, 2020
London
Thanks, I‘ve now fitted a OneUp carbon bar with a 35mm rise. I trimmed it too, but couldn’t decide between 760 and 780mm.. so went for 770mm 👍🏻. i just took it out for a quick ride and it seems great so far - it also feels more stable somehow.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Thanks, I‘ve now fitted a OneUp carbon bar with a 35mm rise. I trimmed it too, but couldn’t decide between 760 and 780mm.. so went for 770mm 👍🏻. i just took it out for a quick ride and it seems great so far - it also feels more stable somehow.
Cool, glad to hear it’s working out. Yeah, I see higher rise bars being used on a lot of “enduro” oriented bikes especially if you’re doing steep descents, combine that with bar width suited for best leverage & comfort and just feels more in control.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles