Sam's Bike Youtube has spam commenters

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Watch out for someone claiming you won an ebike posing as Sam, they contact you first in youtube and then ask you to use Telegram to talk about the prize, then try to get you to Zelle/Cashapp them shipping money for your prize. They almost got me this morning, but it was just a little too fishy.

Sam says he reported to Youtube but I don't think that's enough and why I'm posting here.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Watch out for someone claiming you won an ebike posing as Sam, they contact you first in youtube and then ask you to use Telegram to talk about the prize, then try to get you to Zelle/Cashapp them shipping money for your prize. They almost got me this morning, but it was just a little too fishy.

Sam says he reported to Youtube but I don't think that's enough and why I'm posting here.
They are are on all the popular Youtube channels @Rob Rides EMTB included. Gotta be careful out there!

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Agreed, however when I messaged him about letting his subscribers know what was going on, he said "sorry mate, there's nothing I can do", which is to say he doesn't want any bad publicity. That shit happens and he should definitely put out a message, there's no shame in getting hacked, it happens to everyone, but don't be a douche about it either, have the ballz to admit it any maybe use a God Damn VPN or tighten your laptop security when in public. The incident stole a couple hours of my ride time I'll never get back.

I unsubscribed to Sam's channel because I really don't give a fuck if I don't see his newest advertisement video, when I want to watch I'll just look it up, this way no messages can ever come through.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Agreed, however when I messaged him about letting his subscribers know what was going on, he said "sorry mate, there's nothing I can do", which is to say he doesn't want any bad publicity. That shit happens and he should definitely put out a message, there's no shame in getting hacked, it happens to everyone, but don't be a douche about it either, have the ballz to admit it any maybe use a God Damn VPN or tighten your laptop security when in public. The incident stole a couple hours of my ride time I'll never get back.

I unsubscribed to Sam's channel because I really don't give a fuck if I don't see his newest advertisement video, when I want to watch I'll just look it up, this way no messages can ever come through.

he wasnot “hacked’ this happens on pretty much all YouTube channels, it’s called spoofing… there really is nothing he can do about it, it has nothing to do with him using VPN or more account security….

you fell for a scam, that sucks but it’s not the channels fault…. Just fyi.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
he wasnot “hacked’ this happens on pretty much all YouTube channels, it’s called spoofing… there really is nothing he can do about it, it has nothing to do with him using VPN or more account security….

you fell for a scam, that sucks but it’s not the channels fault…. Just fyi.
Whatever, it shouldn't happen at all. Whether was channel or youtube issue I'm not convinced either way, but better to not subscribe so as not to receive DM's via youtube, total waste of time, still agitated by it.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Whatever, it shouldn't happen at all. Whether was channel or youtube issue I'm not convinced either way, but better to not subscribe so as not to receive DM's via youtube, total waste of time, still agitated by it.
If he was hacked I don't think you would be able to message him.

agree it sucks, but it usually pretty obvious, no one ever reaches out to give you free stuff, not via email, text etc.

Actual hacking is very rare, most breaches are social engineering like you experienced. so good to be vigilant at all times.

I've been in tech since 90's, fwiw.

Last edited:

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
If he was hacked I don't think you would be able to message him.

agree it sucks, but it usually pretty obvious, no one ever reaches out to give you free stuff, not via email, text etc.

Actual hacking is very rare, most breaches are social engineering like you experienced. so good to be vigilant at all times.

I've been in tech since 90's, fwiw.
I didn't message him from youtube, if you actually read what I said above you might understand better.

Whoever this was impersonating Sam was very keen to his channel and upcoming giveaway, too knowledgeable to be a random spammer, and knew just what to say to try and get me to bite, although got nothing in the end. I only posted this because of Sam's indifferent response.

Feels like someone personally involved with the channel did this and that would mean a hack or compromised password or credentials is actually most probably, not coincidental.

Unsubscribing to Sam's Bike channel is best for me. Like I said, if I want to watch his infomercials, I'll just look it up.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I didn't message him from youtube, if you actually read what I said above you might understand better.

Whoever this was impersonating Sam was very keen to his channel and upcoming giveaway, too knowledgeable to be a random spammer, and knew just what to say to try and get me to bite, although got nothing in the end. I only posted this because of Sam's indifferent response.

Feels like someone personally involved with the channel did this and that would mean a hack or compromised password or credentials is actually most probably, not coincidental.

Unsubscribing to Sam's Bike channel is best for me. Like I said, if I want to watch his infomercials, I'll just look it up.

You sound like a real piece of work buddy.. good luck with everything:)

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
45F398B5-90BB-48EA-B7E3-7D92944704E7.gif

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Your thread title is completely wrong and very misleading. This is just standard scammer trying to impersonate someone. Happens all the time, apart from reporting the account to YouTube there's not much else you can do.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Your thread title is completely wrong and very misleading. This is just standard scammer trying to impersonate someone. Happens all the time, apart from reporting the account to YouTube there's not much else you can do.
Edited title.
As has been suggested, it’s simply a spammy commenter, and it’s happening all over YouTube.
The spammer simply uses the same avatar and a similar username. Nothing ‘hacked’ at all, the most basic type of scam around.

it works though, I’ve had countless emails and messages from people asking how to claim their prize when it happened on my channel.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yeah, because pissing and moaning on a forum about nearly being scammed on YouTube will totally stop it happening again...
They almost got me this morning, but it was just a little too fishy.
If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I for one never knew this kind of thing happens so much on Youtube, been lucky I guess.

I'll say again, it felt like the person on other end was intimately involved with Sam's channel. I'll say again they almost got me because of all the things they knew. People try to scam me every day in my line of work but it's never this elaborate. If this is so widespread and common then my purpose for posting this is what I intended. Pissing and moaning about it agreed won't stop it but at least to those reading this might think twice if contacted.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I for one never knew this kind of thing happens so much on Youtube, been lucky I guess.

I'll say again, it felt like the person on other end was intimately involved with Sam's channel. I'll say again they almost got me because of all the things they knew. People try to scam me every day in my line of work but it's never this elaborate. If this is so widespread and common then my purpose for posting this is what I intended. Pissing and moaning about it agreed won't stop it but at least to those reading this might think twice if contacted.

The issue was your claim his channel had been hacked and he wasn't doing anything about it. It was just a scammer and nothing to do with him or his channel.
Raising the issue of new/convincing scams is always worthwhile though.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
The issue was your claim his channel had been hacked and he wasn't doing anything about it. It was just a scammer and nothing to do with him or his channel.
Raising the issue of new/convincing scams is always worthwhile though.
Agreed yes and apparently that's status quo, not just for him but generally speaking. Have you ever seen a Youtuber mention this issue live in a video? I haven't.

If such a common problem, then does it not deserve some attention in a place where people will be paying attention? That's the point I'm getting at. If you or someone falls for one of these pretty convincing scams and lose a couple hundo of your hard earned cash, I'll bet you'd have appreciated a little warning from those channels that are profiting from Youtube viewers.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Agreed yes and apparently that's status quo, not just for him but generally speaking. Have you ever seen a Youtuber mention this issue live in a video? I haven't.

If such a common problem, then does it not deserve some attention in a place where people will be paying attention? That's the point I'm getting at. If you or someone falls for one of these pretty convincing scams and lose a couple hundo of your hard earned cash, I'll bet you'd have appreciated a little warning from those channels that are profiting from Youtube viewers.

How many videos are on his channel? Maybe he did say something during one of them. A better thing would be for youtube themselves to warn this happens rather than leaving it to individual creators to say it.
I follow dozens of channels, i don't want to hear each of them repeating the same stuff about scammers.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
How many videos are on his channel? Maybe he did say something during one of them. A better thing would be for youtube themselves to warn this happens rather than leaving it to individual creators to say it.
I follow dozens of channels, i don't want to hear each of them repeating the same stuff about scammers.

No idea, maybe he did but I don't recall such a warning from a Youtuber on any channel in the past. If it's a problem 6 months ago and then becomes a more recent problem again, needs to be addressed.

Yes Youtube should be warning of scams of course, but are they?

A channel can bring more attention to it's viewers more directly and easily. If it's me and I'm making a living making videos and my "customers" are getting approached by scammers, believe me I do something about it, not just say I reported it, that's the best I can do...might as well sit on your hands in that case.

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
It's a long running problem and I've pretty much given up commenting on YouTube due to it.
Just report them and move on and they eventually get deleted. I don't know if Youtube or the channel owners deleted them.
I can't believe people would fall for this to be honest. "Contact me via telegram" yeah alright mate :ROFLMAO:

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
It's a long running problem and I've pretty much given up commenting on YouTube due to it.
Just report them and move on and they eventually get deleted. I don't know if Youtube or the channel owners deleted them.
I can't believe people would fall for this to be honest. "Contact me via telegram" yeah alright mate :ROFLMAO:

Yup.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Nothing ‘hacked’ at all, the most basic type of scam around.

I’ve had countless emails and messages from people asking how to claim their prize

Well hopefully you'll make good on your promise and I'll soon receive my new bike.

🤣

The most absurd scam that I see a couple times a year? Scantly clad young ladies with ample bosoms in provocative poses who want to become my Facebook Friend. Just to be clear, I'm a huge fan of scantly clad young ladies with ample bosoms, especially when in provocative poses. Maybe I'm too cynical and am missing out on a sweet opportunity, but these ladies quickly get blocked.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles