Sam2 motor/bash guard

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
I live and ride in the Peak District in the UK, where it is very rocky. Lots and lots of loose rocks getting kicked up by the front and wheel and smashing in to the battery (I'm on my 3rd cover because of this), down tube and motor. I bought an AVS bash guard...

iRAMoM.jpg

..but after two months it was destroyed...

VhEDF8.jpg

nD2d7x.jpg

lYk3QE.jpg

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
More worryingly, when I tried to remove the AVS guard I found the impact forces had bent several of the motor mounting bolts, which are used to also mount the guard, and the bolts were seized in the motor housing...

WiYsHu.jpg

...and required the heads drilling off, a nut welding on and unscrewing.

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
So I've now made this...

uUnl94.jpg

...a stainless steel, elastomer mounted, bash guard.

The front mounts have machined stainless steel adaptors/motor bolts...

R0nHhW.jpg

...and into which are screwed M6 steel screws, these are intended to be frangible so that in the event of a significant impact the screws will deform and no significant force will be transferred into the motor. But the front mounts isolate the bash guard from the M6 screws by using elastomeric bushes between the guard and the screws...

InZsHu.jpg

The skid plate is a single plate which has the mounting tabs welded on...

gvEpKX.jpg

..so there is double thickness of material in the right places. The plate is 2mm and the brackets are 3mm.

I'm going to give it a couple of months use and abuse and see whether it stands up better than the AVS one.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Wow looks like a very well thought out piece of kit that mate, I haven’t got a motor guard on mine just yet , sam2 also

Ronen

Apr 6, 2022
Israel
Hello. I have an AVS motor protector, I want to expand the holes to insert elastomers,
Where to buy elastomers and machined stainless steel adapters / motor bolts?

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
Hello. I have an AVS motor protector, I want to expand the holes to insert elastomers,
Where to buy elastomers and machined stainless steel adapters / motor bolts?

Elastomers are a Ducati motorbike part, the others were all designed and machined myself...

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
So I've now made this...

uUnl94.jpg

...a stainless steel, elastomer mounted, bash guard.

The front mounts have machined stainless steel adaptors/motor bolts...

R0nHhW.jpg

...and into which are screwed M6 steel screws, these are intended to be frangible so that in the event of a significant impact the screws will deform and no significant force will be transferred into the motor. But the front mounts isolate the bash guard from the M6 screws by using elastomeric bushes between the guard and the screws...

InZsHu.jpg

The skid plate is a single plate which has the mounting tabs welded on...

gvEpKX.jpg

..so there is double thickness of material in the right places. The plate is 2mm and the brackets are 3mm.

I'm going to give it a couple of months use and abuse and see whether it stands up better than the AVS one.

How’s it holding up mate

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
How’s it holding up mate

Not as well as I'd have hoped, it's definitely more robust than the AVS but it's taken some big hits and you can see it.

I was rattling down the descent behind the ladybower inn on Saturday afternoon and a rock kicked up and clanged off it and I swear you could have heard the impact on the other side of the valley and you can see where it's bent out of shape.

It does its job of protecting the motor but it's still a consumable item, which isn't good enough for my liking.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Not as well as I'd have hoped, it's definitely more robust than the AVS but it's taken some big hits and you can see it.

I was rattling down the descent behind the ladybower inn on Saturday afternoon and a rock kicked up and clanged off it and I swear you could have heard the impact on the other side of the valley and you can see where it's bent out of shape.

It does its job of protecting the motor but it's still a consumable item, which isn't good enough for my liking.

Crikey mate must be really rocky where your trails are, just think how messed up the motor would be without it though

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
If you find a solution please me know.
First ride on my Jam 68 today around ladybower and agree the motor takes some hits. The plastic cover to the side of the motor was just a feed collector and suspect that will break very soon.

PXL_20221015_123938337~2.jpg

PXL_20221015_123915124.jpg

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
My bash guard from Spain arrived but the bloke had sent me a medium instead of a large, so doesn't fit. Contacted him and he says that he sent another large one for me but after 2 months of waiting I don't think it's coming.
Had a guard on my merida and took it off before selling it as a couple of mates had a similar bikes so thought they could use it. Then I tried it against the Sam and 'Hey Presto' it fitted well. Can't use the rear mount that fitted the merida but cable ties and a bit of self adhesive velcro tape and it's been great. Can get some pics if anyones interested.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles