Sam2 headset gone

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
Anyone else had issues with the acros headset on the Focus bikes? Mines not been ridden all that much but has already started crunching. Took it apart and the bottom bearing is toast.

I'm replacing with a Hope headset. Got everything removed, just waiting for the new headset to arrive. One thing I thought was weird was the bearings were harder to remove than the cups. I would have thought it would be the other way around. I do get them impression that the person who put my bike together didn't know what they were doing as I've found a number of things wrong with it in the 3 years I've owned it.

IMG_2045.jpeg

dropbear14

Apr 19, 2021
Brisbane
The fact of the matter is that the headsets coming in most of the Focus bikes, including the high end ones are complete garbage. Often plastic cups, non sealed bearings, they don't last long at all. Probably the same can be said for plenty of other bike brands as well. The trade off is that for the prices, all of the major components on the models are awesome (suspension, drivetrains, motor/battery systems, etc) and you barely need to replace anything major unless for own personal preference. Get rid of the dumb integrated headset and stem, throw a decent quality headset on and never worry about it again

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
The fact of the matter is that the headsets coming in most of the Focus bikes, including the high end ones are complete garbage. Often plastic cups, non sealed bearings, they don't last long at all. Probably the same can be said for plenty of other bike brands as well. The trade off is that for the prices, all of the major components on the models are awesome (suspension, drivetrains, motor/battery systems, etc). Get rid of the dumb integrated headset and stem, throw a decent quality headset on and never worry about it again

Agreed, if they put good components everywhere the cost of the bikes would be significantly higher.

However in this case the headset on the bike as stock is about the same cost as the hope headset I'm replacing it with so I assume it's a decent one, no plastic parts. 113 euros for the replacement Acros set RRP so I guess I could find it cheaper if I was interested, where as I've paid £83 for the hope set. I don't have any experience with Acros stuff so can't say if it's generally good or bad quality.

I was just surprised when I looked up at the cost of a direct replacement as I was expecting it would be cheap. Which made me wonder if it was the fitting that was the problem.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If the bearing seats were unmarked all you needed to do was change the bearings at a bout 25% of the cost you have paid.

The headset bearings can vary significantly in terms of quality ( ABEC rating, type of grease used, seal contact on either side of the bearing). Given where most of these bikes are assembled the original bearings a re likely to be cheap ones but over and a bove that the headset is something that needs fairly regular maintenance due to the a bility of water and dust etc to ingress at the crown race and sometimes also from the top cap area. Regular cleaning and application of grease will keep it running sweet.
Hopefully the Hope st you have bought includes stainless steel bearings at that price!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles