Rotor Replacement Options for SRAM DB8 and Strive ON

travelinscout

Jun 30, 2024
Tucson
Hello, I am looking for a good replacement rotor that will allow me to keep the SRAM DB8 brake system. I am not too happy with the centerlines that came on the bike. Will be keeping the same sizing of 200/220.
I have a set of the Hope floating discs on the way, but I am concerned that they will rub and will have to be returned.
Lots of people recommend the SRAM HS2, but I am not familiar with them.
I am going to be using the Galfer purple Ebike pads.
Thanks!

travelinscout

Jun 30, 2024
Tucson
I am trying to achieve better braking without the cost of new calipers and levers. These bikes are heavy, and with the current stock setup, the braking only performs up to certain point.

John_likes_bikes

Jul 17, 2024
california
I am trying to achieve better braking without the cost of new calipers and levers. These bikes are heavy, and with the current stock setup, the braking only performs up to certain point.
People tend to be heavily opinionated when it comes to brakes so I'll try to keep that out of this....

DB8's are some of the weaker SRAM brake systems. They lack the "swing link like the Code RSC and Maven have which give them substantially more leverage at the lever, equaling more power comparatively. Meaning, you will always be limited even with a change to rotors, pads, etc. Doesn't mean they're not worth a try but keep your expectations in check.

Your best next options are trying HS2 rotors, which are thicker giving better heat management and power. Or really any thicker rotor and trying metallic or organic pads from various manufacturers. I've used MTX pads, which are a slightly different compound to true metallic or organic pads.

travelinscout

Jun 30, 2024
Tucson
Thanks! I am going to try the Hope rotors, if they fit, and the Galfer purple pads. If the Hopes don't fit, then I will probably go for the HS2.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles