RockShox vs Fox

PumpinIron

Apr 17, 2020
Florence, AZ
I know a lot of this comes down to personal preference, but to those of you who ride a lot and really push yourselves, do you generally find that Fox or RockShox makes the better suspension? Or maybe neither?

Not sure how many people have actually compare both, let alone can notice any difference, but I was simply curious.

2wls4ever

Feb 29, 2020
Felton, California
I know a lot of this comes down to personal preference, but to those of you who ride a lot and really push yourselves, do you generally find that Fox or RockShox makes the better suspension? Or maybe neither?

Not sure how many people have actually compare both, let alone can notice any difference, but I was simply curious.
I would like to offer this perspective. In the highest level of racing, both brands go head to head against each other and are the dominant brands. So they know each other intimately and strive to match or better each others performance. Unless a rider is at an expert/pro level, it is difficult to out ride either brands performance.

With this in mind, often the best route is how well your local dealer has replacement parts and services for them. Also, who has the best transparency and access of information.

Cheers

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Apples and oranges - my personal opinion is like for like Fox is very expensive vs RS, at least in the UK.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Owned both ridden both raced (cat 1/expert for over 20 years) both. Both work as intended. Both go up and down when you hit stuff. How have I chosen one or the other? Whatever happened to come on the bike I’m using. Both reputable brands. Flip a coin.?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Performance wise BOTH brands sell products that do their job well

From a user POV
RS is a lot easier for even a newb to set up fairly well out the box
Fox is a lot easier for even an experienced rider to set-up badly

From a home mechanics POV
RS is more straightforwards to work on and requires less specific tools.

IMO overall RS is generally the better VFM (in the UK) - Especially when taking into account the huge discounted prices online shops sell RS at.

Current product line spare parts are generally readily available and similarly priced for both.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I would be that most riders aren't going to notice a difference both are excellent.

But if I had to pick between the 2, I'd go RS as they're easier to setup.

Worth noting that other brands like DVO are gaining some market share. I would say is as good if not better than Fox and RS.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles