Risk of battery fire?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Plasterboard is fairly effective at stopping fire, you may wish to upgrade to two layers of plasterboard, or fire rated plasterboard. Definitely add a fire alarm, ideally linked to the house.

I’m assuming if your bike catches fire while on charge, it’s a gonner, but saving the garage might be possible.
The garage could burn to the ground and it would be the fire brigade's sirens that would wake us! I'm fairly sure that if the batery or charger caught fire that the garage would be a gonner anyway. I am relying on the robustness of the Shimano design..................................... Hmmm :unsure:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I had a steel RSJ put in when I knocked two rooms through. That had to be enclosed in fire resistant plasterboard & signed off by the building control guy,

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I am relying on the robustness of the Shimano design..................................... Hmmm :unsure:

I am fairly confident in the mainstream brands (Bosch, brose, shimano, etc). Are there any instances of these catching fire, without external damage to batteries? All the e-bike fires I have seen in the news are the unbranded Chinese Ali-express phone theft/delivery kind.

If you’re worried about fire risk, how confident in your house electrics? Has it been checked by an electrician? Rewired recently and meets building regs? The reason I ask is the table light in our lounge stopped working, and the wall socket in my office started fizzing. Turns out these two things were connected. The choc block for the light circuit was stashed behind the wall socket and had melted. House was fully rewired in mid 00s

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There’s a number of precautions we could take but most importantly is your life and your family’s life. I recently installed a 4th smoke detector in the garage/bike cave.

I should also install a chemical ceiling mount extinguisher. Also keep most flammable products in a metal cabinet. Some affordable precautions can easily be done for the peace of mind from an unfortunate fire event.

A fire guard gypsum (usually 5/8”) is sometimes required between residents or other critical areas. We’ve added a Hybrid SUV recently to the garage, which is attached to the house. I may need to add that chemical extinguisher. 🤷‍♂️. The chemical vapours given off of a burning lithium battery can be deadly, and water is pointless.

The precious seconds that allow for escape can be priceless.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles