Rise M10 vs M20

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I am hoping to get am M20 but changing most parts out, have them all already from previous bikes! Power no issues as current bike is Vitus esommet that will be selling that’s the E7000 motor so also 60n & never had issues with power & it’s under 22kg in weight

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
@carlbiker - I've not ridden a Bosch, so I can't comment. But I weigh 75 lbs *more* than you, with a weaker 70Nm Shimano motor.

I have chronic L4/L5, L5/S1 sciatica issues too since early 2000s, never got surgery. I've got a very small stripe of dead nerve down the lateral side of my leg but it's very minor. Since yoga body-awareness education and stretching, I've thankfully haven't had many crippling episodes in 20 years. Bad knees...the works. That's why I went e-bike in the first place. 70Nm still seems plenty for me riding solo.

I would take a look at your current settings for motor assist. What mode do you currently use? I'm not familiar with Bosch's eMTB mode but Shimano has ECO/TRAIL/BOOST. You can do a mock-up ride of 52 Nm just by dialing down your assist and see what that's like. Of course your FF bike is 10lbs heavier than an M10 I'm guessing, but at least you'll get a feel for your "minimum acceptable assist" and go from there.

Which begs the question....with all your concern for Nm specs and motor support, why are you shopping for a Rise in the first place? I think the Rise is definitely king for the lightweight emtbs right now and not at all lacking for power *within it's class*, but if power is #1 in what you're after, sounds like your FF bike is the best answer to your needs.

I really should start with the mtb yoga!

Tour is probably my main now so that 2/4. Concerns are mainly as it would be nice to be able to have only one bike if it came down to it and sell the Wild rather than still need the FF for bigger days etc, I’m not sure but the range extender as an options looks excellent and enough to keep up with FF 625w bikes if there not using full power the entire journey! The one thing I haven’t tried is derestricting the FF which I hear is a game changer and might warrant keeping it.....just a shame it’s a 500w battery

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Spotted my first Rise out on the trails this weekend. Almost as rare as the Pinemartin / Polecat that crossed my path at Glentress, but that’s another story …

Anyway, the guy riding the Rise had the range extender and rides with mates on full fats. He said he has no problem keeping up with his mates on the steep climbs, absolutely flys down the twisty turny descents, and will easily get 40-50 miles of trail riding on a day with the range extender, 25-30 miles without. Don’t know how heavy or fit he was but he was a largish 6ft + bloke. Rides in trail mode and boosts the ascents

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Rise M20 came yesterday turns out the wheels are Arc30 with centrelock rotors, my wheels are 6bolts so need a magnet for 6bolts should I just call round U.K. shops for stock?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Do you need special tools to remove the cranks from the M20 ?
not the cranks, but you do need special tool to remove the chainring, and you need to remove the chainring to drop the motor (which you'll need to do if you're changing brakes or seat post....)

Honzo

Jul 2, 2021
Finland
Happy M20 owner here. Changed immediately the wheelset to DT1501 (30mm internal) + XT 180mm disc in front (rear one did not work due to no place for magnet...) and tubeless of course. Wheelset weight dropped significantly. Paid 600e for the set (2nd hand but unridden). Sold the old wheelset + one disc for 250e. So 350e for that change.

Then I swapped the 34 for to Lyrik Select 150mm (only Selects were in stock in any European store I could find). Have not yet sold the 34, but Lyrik was 700e (100e extra compared to the cheapest ones, but availability was the key...)

Saddle changed to Selle Italia SLR Carbonio, 100e (2nd hand, but in sales pack, so new)

And handlebar changed to PRO Handlebar Tharsis 3FIVE Carbon Riser 35,0 x 800 mm | 9°, 120e

So everything 1270e so far and I still have the Fox34 to be sold (and old handlebar+saddle)

Lost >600g weight and now the bike is perfect :)

I had thoughts of having 4-piston brake + 203mm disc in front but after month of riding I have not seen the need. I am ~80kg.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Good to know so thanks.I wasn't able to make changes to my M20 order without compromising the delivery date so will be doing similar with wheels and forks especially

evildos

Apr 13, 2021
France
not the cranks, but you do need special tool to remove the chainring, and you need to remove the chainring to drop the motor (which you'll need to do if you're changing brakes or seat post....)
Thanks, I received the tool today.
Unfortunately, I ruined the crank cap trying to remove it, and I can’t do the operation now. ??‍♂️

Edmu

Jun 29, 2021
Puerto Rico
Really want to upgrade the fork and shock when I ordered my M20 a few weeks ago but the shop and the rep strongly recommended against it as the delivery date would then go from October to who knows
I went through the M10 vs. M20 exercise too and ended up on the M10 since it's a bargain with the upgraded parts sold at market value and the bike is already very expensive. Orbea isn't marking up the parts and the list is substantial between the two compared to other manufacturers who change a fork and ask for another $1500. That said, if you *don't* have the means for an M10, the M20 will be amazing in it's own right.

To evaluate the parts differences, I went full-on geek and made a spreadsheet with either Orbea's stated cost to upgrade the part, or market cost to upgrade from M20 to M10. I came up with almost exactly the same $ in market upgrade as price differential between the two, and to see if there was any weight penalty for the more robust suspension parts (there wasn't overall). The M10, despite the heavier suspension pieces, gets lighter rims and bars making the weight differential estimated -64g on the M10 (so negligible).

View attachment 63678
Buying the M20, and the different components as additional upgrades from other vendors. 5 Benefits:

1. pick and choose only what you want upgraded.
2. perhaps, getting a better price for the components than the M10/20 difference.
3. going for other (better suited for your taste) components that are not made available thru Orbea’s OEMs.
4. getting the bike earlier when the M20 is in stock where the M10 are still only available thru preorders.
5. re: #s 2 & 3, you may already have the components you want in your previous bike, or sitting around in your garage.

crencos

May 18, 2021
Portugal
hey, too much for your needs, or not enough? Just with the mention ‘despite having all the top stuff’ comment cheers
The M10 is enough. XT stuff doesn't give me heart attacks like XTR. I recently bent my rear XTR mech and I was able to put it to work again, but imagine if I can't. 200€+ to the trash. The M10 is enough but my M10 MyO custom one only arrive in november so I took this M-Team to ride now. Maybe in november, when I receive the M10, I'll pimp it with more travel... :)

LAN76

Nov 29, 2021
Denmark
Buying the M20, and the different components as additional upgrades from other vendors. 5 Benefits:

1. pick and choose only what you want upgraded.
2. perhaps, getting a better price for the components than the M10/20 difference.
3. going for other (better suited for your taste) components that are not made available thru Orbea’s OEMs.
4. getting the bike earlier when the M20 is in stock where the M10 are still only available thru preorders.
5. re: #s 2 & 3, you may already have the components you want in your previous bike, or sitting around in your garage.
Do you know if I can install SRAM XX1 AXS on the M20? Just bought the set for my 2020 S-Works Epic FSR and I'm about to buy a M20 here in Denmark.

Thanks

evildos

Apr 13, 2021
France
Do you know if I can install SRAM XX1 AXS on the M20? Just bought the set for my 2020 S-Works Epic FSR and I'm about to buy a M20 here in Denmark.

Thanks
I did install an axs derailleur on my m20 but went the « cheap » way with gx.
I Kept the original cassette and crankset.
hope it helps.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
You can yes. I am running XX1 mechanical on mine, but I swapped wheels too. Can run the Shimano cassette & chain with AXS

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles