Rise 25 creaky headset

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
One of our Rises arrived (both were supposed to be early July when ordered. 1 arrived mid August, still no firm date for the XL. Not sure what’s going on with Orbea)

Swapped out the brakes and dropper and cut down the steerer. I now have a “cracking” sound from the headtube on fork compression. It’s not the fork (compress it vertically and it’s silent) so it’s got to be the headset somewhere. If you push down on the front you get a sharp “crack” sound once per compression - I’m guessing something isn’t seated right.

Any suggestions?

mikegarf

May 2, 2023
Manchester
One of our Rises arrived (both were supposed to be early July when ordered. 1 arrived mid August, still no firm date for the XL. Not sure what’s going on with Orbea)

Swapped out the brakes and dropper and cut down the steerer. I now have a “cracking” sound from the headtube on fork compression. It’s not the fork (compress it vertically and it’s silent) so it’s got to be the headset somewhere. If you push down on the front you get a sharp “crack” sound once per compression - I’m guessing something isn’t seated right.

Any suggestions?
Hi
My Brother had a similar issue with his 2024 Rise. He put it down to the hidden cable headset design. I know he has tried all kinds of solutions. He said that a bit of grease on the spacers helps temporarily but it comes back after a while. Don't think he ever completely solved the issue (and he knows his way around bikes). Pretty sure he discussed it with Orbea too. I have an earlier 2022 model with the normal headset which is fine. 🤞

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Swapped out the brakes and dropper and cut down the steerer. I now have a “cracking” sound from the headtube

Yup, that's a thing on all bikes and all headsets. When you assemble everything, slop it up with grease. And when I say "slop it up," I'm not exaggerating. Typically heavy grease isn't suitable for bikes, but the headset is the exception. Any general purpose NLGI 2 grease that you get at the auto parts store will be fine. Be generous with it.

Some headsets are more prone to creaking than others. I'm talking about the cheap ones that often come on bikes from the factory. If the manufacturer has "Creak" in its name, you can believe them. Chris King has the best design and precision manufacturing, but don't just go out and buy one until you've adequately greased your existing headset.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Yup, that's a thing on all bikes and all headsets. When you assemble everything, slop it up with grease. And when I say "slop it up," I'm not exaggerating. Typically heavy grease isn't suitable for bikes, but the headset is the exception. Any general purpose NLGI 2 grease that you get at the auto parts store will be fine. Be generous with it.

Some headsets are more prone to creaking than others. I'm talking about the cheap ones that often come on bikes from the factory. If the manufacturer has "Creak" in its name, you can believe them. Chris King has the best design and precision manufacturing, but don't just go out and buy one until you've adequately greased your existing headset.
I’ve been riding and building bikes for >20 years and I’ve not had this problem before.

Chiefworm

Dec 27, 2021
United Kingdom
Interestingly my 24 Wild FS does the exact same thing. I swapped out the dreadful split spacers and stem for a normal stem and spacers and it makes cracking noises. I am fairly sure it’s the routing of the cables internally that is the issue.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Interestingly my 24 Wild FS does the exact same thing. I swapped out the dreadful split spacers and stem for a normal stem and spacers and it makes cracking noises. I am fairly sure it’s the routing of the cables internally that is the issue.
It happens when I push down on the front at rest - none of the cables are moving or changing angle then. Has to be parts of the headset moving against each other I think.

Jay Bird

Aug 22, 2022
Mill Valley, CA

Any suggestions?
I’ve had this same issue to varying degrees on my 22 carbon Rise. Ive realized it’s finicky and you have to get the preload just right to make it go away. Take it apart, clean it all really well, grease liberally, then torque it all up. Try going slightly looser or tighter and see what happens. Good luck.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Check the blue paper, but I saw a post elsewhere that gives 10nm for the head set bolt due to a binding head set seal that presumably needs to be compressed or the head set is loose.
Certainly I’ve had issues with my 22 model knocking on the brakes even though the head set bolt “feels” tight in the traditional sense

Seems unless it’s done up to 10 nm it will be loose no matter what. This applies to the oe arcos head set only by all accounts

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Check the blue paper, but I saw a post elsewhere that gives 10nm for the head set bolt due to a binding head set seal that presumably needs to be compressed or the head set is loose.
Certainly I’ve had issues with my 22 model knocking on the brakes even though the head set bolt “feels” tight in the traditional sense

Seems unless it’s done up to 10 nm it will be loose no matter what. This applies to the oe arcos head set only by all accounts
That’s interesting- I’d not checked and just tightened like any other headset (ie “not too tight”.

mikegarf

May 2, 2023
Manchester
Same here on my 22 carbon rise. Needs plenty of torque on the headset preload otherwise you can feel it all move in the frame which I hate. Takes me a good few attempts to get it spot on. More so than on lots of other bikes I've owned. Never creaks or makes noises though.

Jay Bird

Aug 22, 2022
Mill Valley, CA
Same here on my 22 carbon rise. Needs plenty of torque on the headset preload otherwise you can feel it all move in the frame which I hate. Takes me a good few attempts to get it spot on. More so than on lots of other bikes I've owned. Never creaks or makes noises though.
Yeah the bearings don’t seat in very well. I think the carbon frame they drop into has poor tolerance. I think that’s the issue.

ari

Mar 1, 2024
Australia
Not read all the posts, but sometimes the glue [yes glue] deteriorates in the forks[where the fork tubes go into the brace part] , creating similar creaking sound, just watched a youtube on it, need to be pressed out and reglued apparently.

ValActionT 750

Jul 31, 2024
Escondido
Ther no toque value on the head cap for an ACROS AZF-1035 on my Cube. Watched a video on replacing Acros’s ICR, integrated cable housing. They also didn’t mention any. My LBS agreed. Just tight enough without put much drag on the headset. I also just found out, by my LBS at “Fly Ride” San Diego & Orange Counties. If you remove any spacers you most either trim the shock or add a spacer under the headcap so the top of the fork is below the level of the spacer/washer. He actually gave me a couple of different height spaces! I'm had removed a 10mm spacer. Put a 10mm washer under the cap and NO more clunk! Thanks Noah at Fly Rides!!

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Yeah the bearings don’t seat in very well. I think the carbon frame they drop into has poor tolerance. I think that’s the issue.
No the bearings themselves are a standard size, the theory here is the rubber seal needs 10nm to compress it before the bearings can not move in the frame cup. Put another way, if the owner just does the head set up by feel like a normal head set without the rubber seal, the seal will allow the bearings to pop out by a small amount, say while braking , which is possibly the noise the op is hearing.

I should add I think I’ve seen the rubber seal in question, on the top race of the stock arcos head set, while changing forks. It’s slotted to key in to the metal spacer under it. It has to sit perfectly in the slots or it will give even more spongy clamping force and there for give. It’s very tricking to get everything to line up and sit right while fitting handle bar stem and spacers etc. I haven’t looked into it any lore than that, other than to notice the headset knocking and having to re tighten numerous times thinking it can’t still be loose. Then I saw the 10nm torque setting as said, it makes more sense if that’s correct

Last edited:

LA_Stu

May 4, 2024
Los Angeles

Thanks for this - I think it's solved my creaking noise! I took my bike to mechanics at two different shops to check the headset because of a creaking noise, and both said it was good. The Orbea Blue Paper for 2023 M models says 8Nm, so I tightened to that (it was only about 3-4Nm before) and after a quick test ride it seems good!

ari

Mar 1, 2024
Australia
Thanks for this - I think it's solved my creaking noise! I took my bike to mechanics at two different shops to check the headset because of a creaking noise, and both said it was good. The Orbea Blue Paper for 2023 M models says 8Nm, so I tightened to that (it was only about 3-4Nm before) and after a quick test ride it seems good!
Also, replace the star nut regularly , its a 3 piece item that may appear to be working perfectly, but , the 2 claws can work loose and the shaft bit can also become loose and or flex but still function ,[ i recently bought the tool and some starnuts[few $] and replaced one[for no reason] and the steering felt much more solid, so ????

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Rise 25 - 8nm (not 10 as up thread) but that seems to have solved it. There was a lot of turning and creaking beyond what I’d considered “headset tight” before it reached the torque setting.

Will be a pain to try to do on the trail.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Weighs sod all mate. Honestly. It's a bit big, but I was offering an idea for the problem you described of having instant 8nm torque.
I've got multiple of these for different settings on the boys race bike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles