Rise 25 creaky headset

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
One of our Rises arrived (both were supposed to be early July when ordered. 1 arrived mid August, still no firm date for the XL. Not sure what’s going on with Orbea)

Swapped out the brakes and dropper and cut down the steerer. I now have a “cracking” sound from the headtube on fork compression. It’s not the fork (compress it vertically and it’s silent) so it’s got to be the headset somewhere. If you push down on the front you get a sharp “crack” sound once per compression - I’m guessing something isn’t seated right.

Any suggestions?

mikegarf

May 2, 2023
Manchester
One of our Rises arrived (both were supposed to be early July when ordered. 1 arrived mid August, still no firm date for the XL. Not sure what’s going on with Orbea)

Swapped out the brakes and dropper and cut down the steerer. I now have a “cracking” sound from the headtube on fork compression. It’s not the fork (compress it vertically and it’s silent) so it’s got to be the headset somewhere. If you push down on the front you get a sharp “crack” sound once per compression - I’m guessing something isn’t seated right.

Any suggestions?
Hi
My Brother had a similar issue with his 2024 Rise. He put it down to the hidden cable headset design. I know he has tried all kinds of solutions. He said that a bit of grease on the spacers helps temporarily but it comes back after a while. Don't think he ever completely solved the issue (and he knows his way around bikes). Pretty sure he discussed it with Orbea too. I have an earlier 2022 model with the normal headset which is fine. 🤞

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Swapped out the brakes and dropper and cut down the steerer. I now have a “cracking” sound from the headtube

Yup, that's a thing on all bikes and all headsets. When you assemble everything, slop it up with grease. And when I say "slop it up," I'm not exaggerating. Typically heavy grease isn't suitable for bikes, but the headset is the exception. Any general purpose NLGI 2 grease that you get at the auto parts store will be fine. Be generous with it.

Some headsets are more prone to creaking than others. I'm talking about the cheap ones that often come on bikes from the factory. If the manufacturer has "Creak" in its name, you can believe them. Chris King has the best design and precision manufacturing, but don't just go out and buy one until you've adequately greased your existing headset.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Yup, that's a thing on all bikes and all headsets. When you assemble everything, slop it up with grease. And when I say "slop it up," I'm not exaggerating. Typically heavy grease isn't suitable for bikes, but the headset is the exception. Any general purpose NLGI 2 grease that you get at the auto parts store will be fine. Be generous with it.

Some headsets are more prone to creaking than others. I'm talking about the cheap ones that often come on bikes from the factory. If the manufacturer has "Creak" in its name, you can believe them. Chris King has the best design and precision manufacturing, but don't just go out and buy one until you've adequately greased your existing headset.
I’ve been riding and building bikes for >20 years and I’ve not had this problem before.

Chiefworm

Dec 27, 2021
United Kingdom
Interestingly my 24 Wild FS does the exact same thing. I swapped out the dreadful split spacers and stem for a normal stem and spacers and it makes cracking noises. I am fairly sure it’s the routing of the cables internally that is the issue.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Interestingly my 24 Wild FS does the exact same thing. I swapped out the dreadful split spacers and stem for a normal stem and spacers and it makes cracking noises. I am fairly sure it’s the routing of the cables internally that is the issue.
It happens when I push down on the front at rest - none of the cables are moving or changing angle then. Has to be parts of the headset moving against each other I think.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles