I've got my eye on this.
1598727515240.png

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I use the Leatt 3DF Airfit which seems the best balance between comfort and protection. It's 3DO which is soft until impact.

I only use it for Bike Park and serious rocky stuff now but I wore it all through Summer last year and it was relatively cool.

You can remove each panel as you like. I didn't usually ride with the back protector. The chest plate is really useful for preventing rib injuries.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I've got my eye on this.
View attachment 39129
High Rock Ruti

I fall on my elbows regularly cover those suckers up. I always wear full shin to over knee every ride, when I'm staying off the dangerous technical rock I only wear my hydration pack, which I've rolled onto many times even over the bars the pack provides a lot of protection. I fell hard on my left side last week in full regalia (armor) a week and half later I'm still recovering, meaning I ride everyday, but with some residual pain. It's cool looking but if its not a VPD padding which does work, rode the POC armored jacket for 3 years the stuff is magical I had rips and tears on the elbows and shoulders in the mesh jersey but no injuries.

Warm Regards

Ruti

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I use the Leatt 3DF Airfit which seems the best balance between comfort and protection. It's 3DO which is soft until impact.

I only use it for Bike Park and serious rocky stuff now but I wore it all through Summer last year and it was relatively cool.

You can remove each panel as you like. I didn't usually ride with the back protector. The chest plate is really useful for preventing rib injuries.

High Rock Ruti

I've had my eye on that, perhaps another look is warranted, Leatt makes great stuff.

Warm Regards

Ruti

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I've got my eye on this.
I fall on my elbows regularly cover those suckers up.
They do something similar with the elbows built in ..

The flank and bank protection look pretty good. At least the back appears to be a decent length which is rare. It dropped of my list due to the lack of stomach protection and the central zip - I wanted something that spanned the chest area for better protection. It's a nice solution though. I'm probably bit over the top with my "ultimate armour" requirements. :)

Reviews on Amazon were a bit mixed though :

www.amazon.co.uk/Dainese-Mens-Rhyolite-Safety-Jacket/dp/B01MCZHNVQ?th=1

Cheap from Wiggle or Alltricks

citydreams

Jul 20, 2020
Brixton
I've got my eye on this.
View attachment 39129

I've got one in preparation for my next close contact. I hardly notice it on, it's super light with a good amount of padding around the ribs - which have a funky interlocking pattern (for extra flex maybe?). I took out the hydropack, as a bit unecessary. And makes the hunchback of Notre Dame look svelte in comparison.

Also picked up some IXS skid pants.
Hack Skid Shorts ??

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire

I was wearing the Leatt 3DF airfit when I had my flank side ribs hit with the buckles. It saved me right across the front of my chest but the area was too small to protect my sides. Heaven knows how bad it could have been without it but will be looking for something to cover flanks too

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I've got one in preparation for my next close contact. I hardly notice it on, it's super light with a good amount of padding around the ribs - which have a funky interlocking pattern (for extra flex maybe?). I took out the hydropack, as a bit unecessary. And makes the hunchback of Notre Dame look svelte in comparison.

Also picked up some IXS skid pants.
Hack Skid Shorts ??
I have these, with the inbuilt chamois. Love them. Never ride without them.

Gordon

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I was wearing the Leatt 3DF airfit when I had my flank side ribs hit with the buckles. It saved me right across the front of my chest but the area was too small to protect my sides. Heaven knows how bad it could have been without it but will be looking for something to cover flanks too

Hmmmm I think anymore and riding is going to be uncomfortable! Glad it helped to a degree.

I found as confidence increased I needed less and less protection. Now it's just helmet, gloves, eye protection and knee pads. Unless it's really rocky then it's the Leatt, but I haven't worn it in over a year.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Hmmm, seems Jackie was whisked away mid sentence?

Seems most rib injuries is just impact with flat ground then. Let’s not think about chest first onto rocks and logs.

Hey Gordon what happens at 65, is that official MTB retirement age?
I hope not, means only one more year for me... met a guy on the trails 72 and absolutely hammering the downhills. It does take longer to heal, but it's all worth it.

Makende

Nov 15, 2018
Malvern Hills
Have done my ribs a few times, most recently with a collapsed lung which was fun....
TOP TIP - if you need to cough, sneeze, laugh etc hold a cushion to your chest while doing so - makes a hell of a difference.

you can thank me later ??

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Google says:

These muscles are located between your ribs. They hold your ribs in place and help you move with flexibility and ease. The MS hug gets its nickname from the way the pain wraps itself around your body like a hug or a girdle. These involuntary muscle spasms are also called girdling or MS girdling

Ouch

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Just to revive an old thread I crashed yesterday on the start of a really tame trail. Front wheel washed out and my left elbow and side took the full brunt of the force. At first I thought I was just winded but I've fractured my 5th rib and it's the worst pain I've experienced in my life. I'm just lying in bed all day long full of pain meds and pray it's a semi quick recovery.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
So I’ve done my first ever rib injury. Hard fall onto my left shoulder and there was a definite feeling of unnatural movement in my ribs just below my armpit. Didn’t feel like bones breaking though. But 10 days later the pain is still there and I don’t feel ready to hit trails again yet.

So I’m wondering how common rib trauma is from the body impacting flat ground like I did or is it more generally from falling onto objects like rocks and roots?
High Rock Ruti

Three crashes four broken ribs. Bruising or Broken almost the same, and nothing to do except heal. That being said my experience has shown two important lessons.

NOT MEDICAL ADVICE personal experience only

Pain management, Percocet (acetaminophen and oxycodone) was near useless. Flexeril is a muscle relaxant, and it is the splinting of the muscles contracting to isolate the rib that causes the problem, works great at night. The sedative effects help get a good nights sleep without waking up in pain . And two, I found that I was able to ride almost pain free very soon afterwards, for some reason the muscle were not activated into contraction, I don't understand why, but it great to ride....without crashing!

IF, you land hard enough on your ribs they're going to bruise or break, armor will not prevent this, it will help but if the force is sufficient.......!

Warm Regards Ruti

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles