Reverb AXS creaking.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Again. I once got this away by cleaning and greasing every parts of that section.
Now i have done the (seat collar is one i haven't touched yet) same things as before, noise don't go away.

It only happens when sitting and pedalling. Stops if i move my butt forward. Sitting on the nose of saddle and it's quiet.
Pedalling off the saddle and it's quiet.

Could it come from the dropper internals? 9 months old dropper, about 4000km ridden.

What is also strange is that collar comes loose from time to time:

Screenshot 2022-02-24 102758.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020
Squamish, BC, Canada
The noise coming only when sitting and pedalling, and then going away when you shift your weight forward, sounds to me like its just a loose seat post clamp. Remove the reverb, clean it out down there, and then put it back in and re-torque the clamp would be my suggestion.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
The noise coming only when sitting and pedalling, and then going away when you shift your weight forward, sounds to me like its just a loose seat post clamp. Remove the reverb, clean it out down there, and then put it back in and re-torque the clamp would be my suggestion.
I cleaned everything and lubed. Again.
Seat post clamp was tightened 7Nm, it opened at 5Nm. So it was little loosened.
I started my ride after that and bike was quiet. After an hour noise was back! :LOL:

When i got home the AXS top cap was loose. So i opened it, put some threadlock. I put threadlock to the seat post clamp bolt also.
This morning i rode 1h and 10mins, quietly. Let's hope sound of silence carry on..(y)

I think the noise was coming from both; seat post clamp and AXS top cap.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Did you use assembly lube at the frame-post clamp? Sometimes you can reduce the torque slightly and prevent crushing the seat post tube. I’m not sure if you have a carbon frame but this assembly lube can be used on aluminum frames also. Also, I wonder if your post-clamp is slightly tapered on the inside. Is your AXS reverb longer than the original dropper?(ie; 150mm to 170mm).

I’m still waiting for my AXS reverb (any day now would be nice) but we carefully measured to replace the 150mm Bontrager dropper and install a 170mm AXS reverb. (Medium sized Rail 9.7.) The original dropper is extended to fit my geometry therefore a 170mm dropper will fit/work better.
The creaking would drive me crazy also and could mean excessive wear.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Did you use assembly lube at the frame-post clamp? Sometimes you can reduce the torque slightly and prevent crushing the seat post tube. I’m not sure if you have a carbon frame but this assembly lube can be used on aluminum frames also. Also, I wonder if your post-clamp is slightly tapered on the inside. Is your AXS reverb longer than the original dropper?(ie; 150mm to 170mm).

I’m still waiting for my AXS reverb (any day now would be nice) but we carefully measured to replace the 150mm Bontrager dropper and install a 170mm AXS reverb. (Medium sized Rail 9.7.) The original dropper is extended to fit my geometry therefore a 170mm dropper will fit/work better.
The creaking would drive me crazy also and could mean excessive wear.
I used Bosch gearbox grease all over. It's a good grease for almost every purpose.(y)
I have aluminium frame.
And i greased little bit AXS inside of the top cap with r.s.p slick kick.

AXS is same lenght as original dropper; 125mm.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I used Bosch gearbox grease all over. It's a good grease for almost every purpose.(y)
I have aluminium frame.
And i greased little bit AXS inside of the top cap with r.s.p slick kick.
I use different types of grease for maintenance and assembly. Bontrager multi-purpose mostly.
This is starting to look like my Wife’s makeup kit. I even have finger nail paint 😳.
E8B70602-828F-4A92-AAC9-DD0413BDCED1.jpeg

My buddies have medium Rails also with 150mm droppers. I have a 130mm dropper on my PF Hardtail but I’ll install the 150 mm dropper on that.

Mind

Oct 12, 2022
France
I might be late to the party, but my post developed a creaking noise very quickly, and I feel it would be helpful to share my experience with others.

The creaking noise occurs with every bump or weight transfer. In my case, the noise isn’t coming from the saddle, seat collar, or the aluminum collar of the Reverb. Instead, it seems to originate from inside the post itself when force is applied to both ends, as if simulating the pressure your body exerts on the saddle.

I can reproduce the creak even with the seat post removed from the bike and the saddle off.

Initially, I thought the noise was coming from the Reverb collar, but even after unscrewing it, the creaking persists. It’s definitely coming from the internal tube assembly. I expected much more from such a pricey dropper post.

The post was correctly installed and used, and I weigh about 70 kg, riding mostly on soft and jumpy trails.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
About 3-4 months after I receive and installed the AXS Reverb dropper it developed a slow sag. (25-35%). I tried the self service button on the bottom but that didn’t help. I returned the dropper for warranty service (5 day turn around) and I assume they replaced the seals (?).

Haven’t had a problem since. I service the cap and wiper 2-3 times a year with Slick-Honey and oil the post when I oil the forks and shock. I try to keep those wiper(s) moist.

The creak would drive me crazy though. A full service might solve the problem. 🤷‍♂️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles