Replacement tyres wanted.

the202

Subscriber
Mar 6, 2024
Windrixville
@zoros My situation is somewhat similar. I ride single-track on the weekends and asphalt during the week. My approach was to outfit a complete second set of wheels to allow for an effortless swap. More to your question, though, I went with Maxxis Hookworms. Although I’m not a fan of Maxxis customer support, the tires have been remarkable. They’re essentially an urban/BMX tire and are very fast-rolling, surprisingly quiet, and quite grippy. The appeal for me is that they’re wide (2.5”), so they don’t look out of place, and I was able to size them in 27.5 and 29 (I have a mullet).

Having said that, these work fine on rudimentary gravel and dirt but that's the exception, not the rule – they're meant for road. If I had to pick something that could do mostly tarmac but also an occasional off-road jaunt, I'd stick to a low rolling resistance, knobby-ish style tire as others have recommended.

Maxxis_Hookworm.JPG

Maxxis_Hookworm_Spares.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ari

zoros

Jun 6, 2024
north wales
The 202. Interesting. I'll look those tyres up.
Nice bike - what is it?

The Hodge- i wouldnt say its heavy? About average i'd say especially with a 750 battery.
The motor compensates (@85nm) anyway.
Z

the202

Subscriber
Mar 6, 2024
Windrixville
The 202. Interesting. I'll look those tyres up.
Nice bike - what is it?

The Hodge- i wouldnt say its heavy? About average i'd say especially with a 750 battery.
The motor compensates (@85nm) anyway.
Z
@zoros I'm riding a '23 Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
@zoros My situation is somewhat similar. I ride single-track on the weekends and asphalt during the week. My approach was to outfit a complete second set of wheels to allow for an effortless swap. More to your question, though, I went with Maxxis Hookworms. Although I’m not a fan of Maxxis customer support, the tires have been remarkable. They’re essentially an urban/BMX tire and are very fast-rolling, surprisingly quiet, and quite grippy. The appeal for me is that they’re wide (2.5”), so they don’t look out of place, and I was able to size them in 27.5 and 29 (I have a mullet).

Having said that, these work fine on rudimentary gravel and dirt but that's the exception, not the rule – they're meant for road. If I had to pick something that could do mostly tarmac but also an occasional off-road jaunt, I'd stick to a low rolling resistance, knobby-ish style tire as others have recommended.

View attachment 141896

View attachment 141897
I also ride a lot of asphalt but don't want two set of wheels since I always ride asphalt/XC on the same day.
I'm waiting for my Schwalbe Johnny Watts 365 29/2.60 - 27.5/2.6 to arrive and hope I made the right choice for my type of riding.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I've got nobby nics on my bike, I ride everything from asphalt, gravel , trail rides and some light enduro. They give me enough range to ride all of that.

On asphalt I can flat out 45-50km/h on turbo and do around 45 km with 625 battery and still have 10% of the battery I can't touch because the light function is enabled.

zoros

Jun 6, 2024
north wales
I spend my life educating peeps that pedelecs require effort and are good exercise because of the “assistance” only, and the speed limit of 25km/h.
Only to find people like you wazzing round the country on a moped!!!
Why don’t you buy a moped or motorbike instead??
I bet your bike isn’t taxed or mot’d either??

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
You would be surprised on how many people that got rid of the speed limiter.

Who says it's not a good exercise?
I actually only use it at those speeds when riding home from the trails I ride. It requires more effort the just relaxed cruising at 25 km/h.

Why the hell would I get it taxed lol.

zoros

Jun 6, 2024
north wales
Ah - just spotted you're not a Brit.
In the UK if your Ebike has electric assist through a throttle (ithout pedalling) or allows electric assist above 25Km/h, then it is deemed a moped and therefore requires:
Road Tax
MoT
Insurance

But don't suggest for one moment that any of the above offers any form of exercise - it doesn't obviously.

ari

Mar 1, 2024
Australia
Ah - just spotted you're not a Brit.
In the UK if your Ebike has electric assist through a throttle (ithout pedalling) or allows electric assist above 25Km/h, then it is deemed a moped and therefore requires:
Road Tax
MoT
Insurance

But don't suggest for one moment that any of the above offers any form of exercise - it doesn't obviously.
Its all exercise , i accidentally went into a XC race on 750watt hub drive [basically a Chinese cargo bike with suspension] had a throttle, basically you turn the throttle full on and pedal like hell[no different to removing the throttle and pedaling just the same , obviously i beat everyone but was completely wasted after , more so than my 250 watt mid drive . Yes, i got handed the rule book, DQ and a warning.

Last edited:

zoros

Jun 6, 2024
north wales
Update:
Tried to buy the Cube Stereo 120 - but sold out! None left nationally at this price. Serves me right for pontificating!
Instead I bought this:

and am I a happy bunny!.
The bike came with front: 29 x 2.5 and the rear: 27.5 x 2.8. Maxxis Assegai and Maxxis Minion.
Dreadful steering lag and the rolling resistance on tarmac was hideous.
Far too big a tyre - passers by thought they were motorbike tyres ):
So I did a straigh swap with the local bike shop for Schwalbe Tough Tom's @ 2.3". Much better profile and look proportionate.
Thanks for all your inputs guys.
Z

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles