Replacement seat post nut+bolt?

rhuk

Mar 4, 2021
Golden, CO
I was messing with my seat and I guess I didn't fully tighten the rear seat bolt and nut before my ride today. Almost home and noticed the seat was loose. Turns out the rear nut and bolt had completely worked their way loose and fallen out somewhere along the trail.

This is a 2021 Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 SL, so it's the 100mm dropper seat post, but I doubt that makes a difference. I'm in the US so cube parts are not easy to come by. Any ideas where I can get a replacement? Or perhaps an alternative part that fits? All the ones I'm finding online are the bolt with barrel-style nut. I can find a similar bolt, but that round-headed nut is what's tripping me up.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

cube-seat-bolt+nut.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Is it possible to use a standard nut but with a washer? Or to round off the nut with a file. Or ask anyone that has a lathe to machine one for you?

Edit: Or use Google Image search to broaden your search?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I just Googled the bike and zoomed in to see the seatpost clamp. I see your problem; the clamp is body coloured and an exotic shape that flows with the frame. It's difficult for me to tell, but would a standard seatpost clamp provide a temporary solution until you secure a better fix? If so, I'd order one of those right now, so at least your riding will not be interrupted.

rhuk

Mar 4, 2021
Golden, CO
Thanks for the info so far guys. I’ve already emailed flyrides (where I bought my bike) and also cube Canada (closest cube dealer) for the official part. Yet to hear back.

I found a rockshox reverb clamp set online that looks similar and I might be able to rig a solution with the bolts and the top part of the rockshox clamp (bottom will have to remain cube clamp as it’s a bit different) but that is probably 2 weeks out. In the meantime I’m going to see if a m5 flanged nut installed upside down will work as a temporary solution. M6 nut like the original bolt is too big. Alternatively, I could try m6 bolt and locknut + washer as another temporary solution. Just have to hope my local Home Depot has metric nuts and bolts of the right size.
Its ridiculous that the US still uses imperial and metric stuff is so hard to find.

I will update with progress..

rhuk

Mar 4, 2021
Golden, CO
Found an M6 30mm bolt at Home Depot, and already had a pack of metric locknuts and washers in various sizes. Not sure the strength of the bolt, but it will do for now so I can at least ride tomorrow.

IMG_1673.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles