Renewing cassettes.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
What do you currently have that you're considering to make a change?

The XT has the last five cogs in an alloy carrier... the SLX, the last three. The difference in price is only about 20 bucks and I doubt there would be any discernible difference in shifting (if any). Although in theory any large cog riveted to the alloy carriage should be stiffer (truer under load). There's a few grams savings too... but negligible on a heavy eBike.

It's not a huge price difference so get the XT if only for the joy of it.

But personally I would stick to an SLX cassette if my bike has an SLX derailleur. I like my mech all matching (SLX trigger included). If I changed to an XT cassette, I'll be irritated until I've changed the rest accordingly. It's an OCD thing... :giggle:

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I swapped my original Sram 12spd NX cassette for a 11spd GX and it was actually a step back in terms of performance and durability. It seems the lower-priced cassettes (NX)are generally all-steel whereas the mid (GX) and high range (XO1 XX1) is a mix of steel and alloy to save weight. The cheaper options also seem to have taller and square teeth which may not shift as smooth but for an ebike, they offer durability and have less chance of slipping. I went to a 11spd NX and the bike is much happier

I realize I'm comparing Sram to Shimano but I assume the principle is the same.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I look at whatever is reasonably decent and has steel sprockets. Not so bad on the rear as you are moving through the gears but I have seen some alloy clusters chewed up real fast - even on conventional bikes when the rider is heavier and/or rides aggressively.
On an ebike the difference in weight is not an issue. They do often not shift quite as smoothly some claim but others claim after a few kms there is little or no difference in shifting performance.
The main thing is to avoid the cheap no-name Chinese brands unless you are happy to replace every time you replace your chain.

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
My Giant Trance E and Specialized Levo both this week went from shifting and pedaling perfectly to missing shifts and then slipping badly in the smaller gears on the cassette. The Trance has Shimano and the Levo Sram. Both have roughly 1000 miles. I ordered a cheap 11/46 and 11/42 all steel cassette and a good chain for each. The front sprockets have very little wear but the teeth on the cassette is trashed on both bikes. We put 1000 miles on the Giant in 3 months. I would hate to spend the money to replace these chains and sprockets on these bikes with expensive SRAM/Shimano parts just to see them wear out like cheap stuff so I’m going to try something different. I’m also going to put a bigger front sprocket on the Giant so it will keep the chain in the middle range of the cassette more often. I’ll keep you all posted on the results.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
My Giant Trance E and Specialized Levo both this week went from shifting and pedaling perfectly to missing shifts and then slipping badly in the smaller gears on the cassette. The Trance has Shimano and the Levo Sram. Both have roughly 1000 miles. I ordered a cheap 11/46 and 11/42 all steel cassette and a good chain for each. The front sprockets have very little wear but the teeth on the cassette is trashed on both bikes. We put 1000 miles on the Giant in 3 months. I would hate to spend the money to replace these chains and sprockets on these bikes with expensive SRAM/Shimano parts just to see them wear out like cheap stuff so I’m going to try something different. I’m also going to put a bigger front sprocket on the Giant so it will keep the chain in the middle range of the cassette more often. I’ll keep you all posted on the results.
Going to a bigger front sprocket?! I thought the 36T was quite big. do you ride relatively flat stuff?

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
My rule: Whatever I can find at the best discount today!

You sometimes find XT cassettes selling cheaper than you can get an SLX. I usually also consider Suntour MX8 or MS8 too. Been running one for months on my eeb and works well.

Between those 4 options, and the 6 online stores I shop at, I can usually find a bargain when it's time to replace the cassette.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
I run 1x10 deore built like a tank made of steel but durable ? if it was 11 speed I'd look for all steel if possible and a steel cassette body lasts way longer ?

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
Did you adjust the cable? I have over a 1000 miles on my Levo and have had to adjust it to keep shifting smoothly. My cassette is nowhere near worn out.

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
Did you adjust the cable? I have over a 1000 miles on my Levo and have had to adjust it to keep shifting smoothly. My cassette is nowhere near worn out.
Rarely touched the cable adjustment on the Levo until it started shifting and slipping on the rear cassette. Then realized it was worn teeth not cable tension issues. I put micro shift steel cassettes on both bikes last week and they are doing great. Had to fine tune the Levo slightly and didn’t have to touch the Giants adjustment and they ride and shift great now with no issues. I’ll keep you posted on longevity.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
What’s it like? Is there a notable difference between the 36T and the 42T big cog or do you think you still need more?

What about the last 5 bigger cogs, are the wider spaced ratios better? Ta

Seems to work fine and the spacing is no problem, it’s very similar to the 50.

Not needed to use it seriously yet as we dont do that many 40% gradients, but when we do the 36 was useless, I just couldn’t climb as well as my two mates and ended up pushing.

this was one such example.

685F62E9-21E0-4451-990C-9D6747C3889E.jpeg

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
It’s a bargain upgrade. I had to get a longer B- limit screw but it seems to shift fine. There is another option out there to do the job better but they don’t fit Giant Trance E 2019s proprietary hanger.

I found out AFTER I bought it.
GoatLink

yours cheap if you want to go that route. Lol.

Lee

Jun 11, 2019
Lancaster
Seems to work fine and the spacing is no problem, it’s very similar to the 50.

Not needed to use it seriously yet as we dont do that many 40% gradients, but when we do the 36 was useless, I just couldn’t climb as well as my two mates and ended up pushing.

this was one such example.

View attachment 20663

Nice picture, where is that? is it in the lakes.

Thanks

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Thanks
Yes, this was taken just prior to the final ascent of lower man on our way to Helvellyn summit.

Probably only a few minutes before I started shouting and swearing about the weight of an E-Bike when you have to push it. LOL

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Does anyone just swap out the worn cog as an individual ? I'm not even sure I've seen individual cogs for sale .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles