Removable battery/motor ("2 in 1" ebikes) thoughts?

Jul 30, 2022
Scotland
Hey all,

I'm starting to seriously look at getting an e-mtb as a successor to my "analog" bike.

I've noticed a couple of bikes that offer the ability to remove the battery/motor to be able to ride a lighter bike when there is an uplift available.

I'm struggling to find the proper search terms to identify these bikes, as "2 in 1" and "removable battery" suggests a lot of unrelated information.

Just wondering if anyone has any of these, and would recommend? Or awaiting on any in particular being released?

My ideal setup would be a DH bike and an e-mtb, but I'm thinking an enduro style "2 in 1" bike may help tick most boxes and save me some moeny.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I would suggest renting an ebike and having a day downhilling it in a bikepark. Then you know more. Now it sounds a little too theoretic problem.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Unfortunately, the removable battery (some motor as well) ebikes so far have tended to be on the superlight, trail end of the bike spectrum. The ones that come to mind are the Lapierre e-zesty and the new Trek Exe. The Lapierre lets you remove both with the old Fazua system, the Trek lets you remove the battery. The newer Fazua system with 60nm I think only removes the battery as well, which will be released in the Pivot shuttle next year. The Pivot may be the type of bike you're after (when you can get one).

So just to repeat, these are lower powered and light weight bikes.

I hope I got this right. Not much sleep last night.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have removed the battery/motor on my eZesty exactly once in two years. I thought I might do it more but I don't. Maybe I would if I did uplifts a lot. But I have an eBike! I don't really need uplifts often and it's just not that hard to lift an eZesty.

The only thing would be something like the Trek where you can leave the big battery at home and fly with a couple of extenders.

Gordon

vvanders

Jun 5, 2022
US
Depending on where you are it might give you broader trail access. Most trails in these parts emtbs aren't allowed by default and up to the land owner. We have a few places where they've allowed access but does mean that trail access is a bit sparse YMMV.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles