Recommendations - Cube vs Whyte

Peredur

Oct 14, 2020
North Wales
Newbie here!
Looking at getting my first eMTB and I'm torn between a Whyte e150S and a Cube Hybrid 160 TM
Any recommendations/advice either way appreciated

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Hi Newbie. ;-)
I always advise people to buy local if they can. It can save loads of problems downthe line if you have any problems.
I have the Cube 160 TM and love it. But this is my 3rd e-MTB and my first 2 I had warrenty issues that would have been a HUGE headache If I had bought online.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I think the whyte is a 29'er where as the Cube is 27,5. This is a big difference you should consider. However, the cube also exists in 29 (140TM).

I love the TM from cube, I haven’t tried the whyte, and it seems the 2 are similar in terms of quality of components, but very different brand choices which will change the feel. (SRAM GX mech/Magura brakes and Fox sus on the Cube vs Shimano Deore mech, Shimano brakes and Rockshox sus on the whyte.) The biggest change may be the Cube is carbon. I would go for the cube but I am biased.

I agree with the point above, an important decider is if you can get local service, this is key. Not that you cannot buy from a distance, but then you need to be more self-sufficient and patient when something serious goes wrong.

See this thread:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Have you had the chance to test ride either ?
That would always be the starting point for any bike purchase..having said that I've just bought a whyte e160rs " blind " but having spent the last 3 years on a t130rs I was happy enough to do so .
I can't speak for the Cube as I've never ridden one ..but I'm in love with the Whyte and I'm now sleeping with it ..having relegated the missus to the shed..?
Whatever choice you make Im sure you will enjoy it ..

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I had this sort of dilemma six months ago. I had a Cube and was going to buy another bike but could not decide to go for another Cube or the Whyte E150 RS. I kept changing my mind every five minutes, looking at reviews and on this forum. In the end I decided on the Whyte, bought it blind and at that point I had not even seen one in the flesh, and must say I love it. The more I ride it the better it gets. I am sure if i had gone for the Cube I would be happy but that I will never know because I am keeping the Whyte. Good luck with whatever you get. (y)

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Agree with the advice to demo if possible.I have a clockwork Whyte T129S so naturally looked at the Whytes first and hired one at Bedgebury.We just didn't get on (don't really know why) so then hired a Cube HPC Race and loved it straight away but traded up to a 140TM and very happy with it.I'd suggest buying local but then its also a case of what is available.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles