Recommend me a winter jacket good sirs.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Went out for a monster ride yesterday, I wore an old golf jacket and it wasn't exactly as waterproof as it used to be :unsure:.
I'm after a new waterproof/cold weather jacket but there seems to be quite a lot of choice out there.
The Endura MT500 comes out tops in a lot of reviews, is it as breathable as the reviews make out and can it be worn with short sleeve tops?
I've had a few gore tex golf jackets and I'm not really keen to be honest, I end up sweating like a beast and the feel of gore tex on my skin is awful :poop:
My mate has an Endura softshell, I can't remember what model but it looks to be great quality.
I'm also not bothered about a hood, so it needs to be able to tuck away if the jacket has one.

Fire away...

PS the missus is paying as it's a birthday present so budget is not really a problem :ROFLMAO:

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
I have the MT500 jacket. Although the hood rolls up it is a pain and needs to be rerolled after each wash or you will end up with a wet back :( .

Prefer my old Madison Addict for winter use even tho it's a bit heavier.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
........-------..
The Endura MT500 comes out tops in a lot of reviews, is it as breathable as the reviews make out and can it be worn with short sleeve tops?
I've had a few gore tex golf jackets and I'm not really keen to be honest, I end up sweating like a beast and the feel of gore tex on my skin is awful :poop:

The Endura MT500 has the 65000 score on breathability, which is astonishing!! I have a Rohan jacket that I use with a score of 20,000 and I truly believed that nothing could beat it. I haven't tried the Endura, but it would be top of my list when the Rohan pegs out (if it ever does, Rohan kit lasts for ever!)

The worst waterproof I ever had was a Goretex Paclite. I ended up with sweat running out of the cuffs when I got back to the car. I was so convinced that there was something wrong with that I wrote to Goretex about it. They were very unsympathetic and said that the fabric was not a one-way valve and that I should have known not to wear it next to my skin. I can wear the Rohan Barricade fabric next to my skin without any problems at all. So sucks to you Goretex, you may advertise the most and have the best known brand name, but you are not top of the tree when it comes to technology, or customer service.

PS: I prefer to wear my windproof that has a good DWR (Durable Water Repellent) finish. It breathes very well, keeps the wind off and is good for showers and light rain for less than an hour. Only if rain is forecast do I take the waterproof. When it rains I swap them over.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Yeah I had exactly the same problem with gore tex paclite, it's like wearing a crisp packet.
Has anyone had experience with the new Fox Ranger stuff? No reviews out there that I can find.

HateClimbs

Nov 3, 2018
Cardiff
Went out for a monster ride yesterday, I wore an old golf jacket and it wasn't exactly as waterproof as it used to be :unsure:.
I'm after a new waterproof/cold weather jacket but there seems to be quite a lot of choice out there.
My mate has an Endura softshell, I can't remember what model but it looks to be great quality.
I'm also not bothered about a hood, so it needs to be able to tuck away if the jacket has one.

Fire away...

PS the missus is paying as it's a birthday present so budget is not really a problem :ROFLMAO:
The endura soft shell is great. I have the Endura Stealth II (discontinued I think, so not sure what it has been replaced with) and been using it for 4-5 seasons. Fully waterproof and suitable for winter mtb. lots of opening under the arms. Normal goretex waterproofs are fine with the right layers underneath

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I've got a smock with always seems 100% waterproof and breaths well, never thought about riding in it though,does it work ok ??
Good when it's really cold, can get quite a bit hot on climbs but the smock has better venting. Washing bit of an issue, use tech wash to preserve DWR finish and reproof with a spray, not wash in.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
Well I ended up ordering an MT500, the reviews are all very very good so I had to go with it.

I bought the MT500 at the beginning of Autumn and it’s already had a proper hammering. All good so far. Seems very robust and the waterproofing is excellent I hose it down after most rides and it gets a machine wash every few weeks - waterproofing is still good. Very pleased.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I have a Shimano Dry Shield jacket that's been fantastic and reliable for about 4 years now. It's always in my bag and gets worn regularly as I commute daily. The hood is attatched via domes and it's storm-proof. I see there's a new model and if it's as good as mine's been, for the price is a total bargain.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Fire away...

I have altura evo night vision they have

Fire away...

I have altura evo night vision got mesh lining which I think helps. Changed look this year about to get one for crimbo called evo 3 now I think. Had it 3 years just ripped pockets off climbing over fence with e bike otherwise last a lot longer . I used vaude escape bike for 15 years 3 of them not available now. Problem i see is unless you can see them hard to tell internet buying great for choice but sucks. I get filthy a lot so fancy gortex etc would not stand washing 3 times a week i just host back of it now and wash rarely.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Well I've had a good few rides with the MT500 jacket now, wet and windy, freezing cold and yesterday was pretty mild conditions.
It's coped superbly, you just obviously need to layer up accordingly underneath.
Yesterday I had a base layer and thin long sleeve jersey, I did a long 22 mile ride and I got a bit hot at times but not really sweaty and uncomfortable. I just unzipped the jacket a bit to let air in and all was fine. I'd have maybe got away with just wearing a thicker base layer beneath the jacket as the wind stopping abilities is very good.
Absolutely stonking jacket and I'd highly recommend it if anyone is in the market for a top quality all weather jacket (y)

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Pitzips are the essential kit for MTB-er that sweat in my experience (for those that don't, just buy goretex), so you ppl looking for a cheaper recommendations (as the OP is sorted) I'd point them Decathlon walking jacket range like the MH500

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Aaah, is that why the jacket has stupidly long zip pockets on the side? ????
I was wondering to myself, these pockets are fucking mental ?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I've had a few altura nevis tops merlin has them for £35 list £65 I run a ski base layer (decathlon) my normal riding top then altura never got wet or cold yet if u get to hot take off second layer and put in back pack? ?

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Well one of the vent zips on my MT500 jacket decided to break the other day, I'd worn the jacket quite a lot but I'd only used the vents twice so I'm very disappointed.
To top it off, I can't find the receipt and I can't remember where I got it from ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles