Range Levo vs Yamaha ,,, and the winner is

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
The Haibike Yamaha in the video can’t be tuned via an app, whereas the similar Yamaha in my Giant can be tuned via my phone app. Giant use a home-brewed Panasonic cell battery and their own software with the Yamaha motor instead of just using the standard offering from Yamaha.

Also, I can’t get over all the haters comments I keep hearing about the Yamaha motor noise. It doesn't bother me at all.
The noise itself is actually so pathetic in reality, my Michelin E-Wild tyres make far more noise than my motor.

Last edited:

skyfree

Aug 31, 2018
Fremont, CA USA
I've ridden them all and the Yamaha is by far the loudest, but no, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact I use it to help me decide when to shift. In practice, this makes for more efficient riding if I'm not paying attention to my cadence.

On my Giant Trance E+ 1 I feel like the first 3 (of 5) levels of power give a bit more assistance than my Bosch Gen 3 in the lower settings. The top 2 don't seem to give quite as much as the Bosch in turbo, but it's more progressive and natural than the Bosch, which always wants to put me into the bushes on turbo. The Bosch emtb setting (level 3 of 4) is pretty nice though, and I wish the Yamaha had something like that.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I've ridden them all and the Yamaha is by far the loudest, but no, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact I use it to help me decide when to shift. In practice, this makes for more efficient riding if I'm not paying attention to my cadence.

On my Giant Trance E+ 1 I feel like the first 3 (of 5) levels of power give a bit more assistance than my Bosch Gen 3 in the lower settings. The top 2 don't seem to give quite as much as the Bosch in turbo, but it's more progressive and natural than the Bosch, which always wants to put me into the bushes on turbo. The Bosch emtb setting (level 3 of 4) is pretty nice though, and I wish the Yamaha had something like that.
I will test against others but i read about 2,000 miles an owner wrote the noise level was less. I have just reached that mileage. Like you by intuition i shift according to vibrations/sound. Mine is full Yamaha so different software. I can zap some fireroads/xcountry wide trails that i know or do technical stuff. I just started playing in expert trails and off course without a car i am max on roads to the trails and back. I think people who do not like the instant power tried it max assist in the trails before getting used to it a bit. Mine is 2017, yours? Your mileage?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The video was a nice idea and entertaining to watch, but hardly scientific considering all the variables
The only way to compare accurately is to put them on some sort of dyno where you can measure and control the amount of power applied to the pedals and the power applied by the motor to the ground. Then see how much battery gets used.
Any other way is simply speculation and gut feelings ........ and brand loyalty

But in the real world, who cares? As long as you love your bike and you don't run out of juice on a big ride then so what!
………..not one of their better videos Im afraid. Firstly there was no attempt to compare the factory default settings of the Yahama Eco plus with the Levo Eco. Levo ECO is set at 35/35 as a default which is quite a high pedal assist. I run mine at 15/35. We were not told what the factory default is for the Yaham Eco Plus. The Levo was not fully charged before setting out, so the cells may not have all been balanced by the BMS.....it appears the Yahama powered bike was fully charged. The second test was riding the trail in Turbo ( factory default on the Levo being 100/100. Who the heck would run a trail in turbo? I rarely use Turbo outside of steep techy climbs. Assuming the Yahama powered bike on "Extra Power" is 100% and the Levo default for Turbo is also 100% there was only 5% difference battery consumption between the bikes on this "turbo" test. Given that the Brose motor has c 12% more Torque than the Yahama, that difference seems a bout right. The bigger difference between battery consumption on the bikes in Eco plus and ECO is almost certainly therefore the difference in the power settings of those 2 modes coupled with the fact the Brose powered bike was not fully charged and the difference in torque between the motors. So really all the video told us was that you use more battery the higher the level of assist you use...…...no sh1t Sherlock!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles