Range Extender Died

machaggis

Dec 1, 2022
Seattle, USA
My ~15 month old Range Extender died (first version for 2022 M20 Carbon Rise, maybe only used the Extender for <500 miles) - no charge, no LEDs etc. Via LBS, Orbea won't claim full warranty but will give 50% discount off replacement (so ~$300) - thoughts? Did I have a lemon or is this the expected lifespan? Any other similar complaints/warranty claims?

I'm not against replacing the battery but not if the lifespan is so limited/fragile.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
15 months is almost as laughable as Orbea refusing warranty on it.

Most extenders like main batteries should be good for well in excess of 1,000 cycles. Its clearly a warrant-able issue IMHO.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I've had mine since 2021 without issues. Covered at least what yours has. Faulty in my book, assuming charged correctly, etc.

Bike companies are getting away with shirking their responsibilities in my eyes, not just Orbea...

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
The 'issue' with the range extender is that it's impossible not to be 'hard' on the cells in it. Ideally you shouldn't run Li-ion batteries completely flat but because the Rise uses all of the Rx before starting the main battery it does that every time you use it.

However, their warranty policy is no different to anyone else' - Apple only cover the battery in your phone for a year and it's a chargeable replacement after that.

Yes, it *should* be good for 1000 cycles. But they don't know how it's been treated or stored, some will fail. Discounted replacement is more than they're legally required to do (although not sure how EU 'product lifetime' rules would apply to a battery. Though they wouldn't in the USA anyway)

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
My ~15 month old Range Extender died (first version for 2022 M20 Carbon Rise, maybe only used the Extender for <500 miles) - no charge, no LEDs etc. Via LBS, Orbea won't claim full warranty but will give 50% discount off replacement (so ~$300) - thoughts? Did I have a lemon or is this the expected lifespan? Any other similar complaints/warranty claims?

I'm not against replacing the battery but not if the lifespan is so limited/fragile.
Range Extenders suck.. Get a bigger battery or carry a spare. Bigger is better.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida

Leave the range extender unplugged until your main battery light goes on for last 20% to not burn down the extender

Nod1178

Feb 13, 2024
UK
This is where q good relationship with your local bike shop may help as they could use their leverage with Orbea to get a positive outcome for you

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Range Extenders suck.. Get a bigger battery or carry a spare. Bigger is better.
Don't be making ridiculous comments like this. Bigger is HEAVIER, not necessarily better.

The Rise has a range extender because it is a lightweight bike (<20Kg). My full fat bike is ~25Kg. My Rise has greater range than my full fat by a few miles yet it has a much smaller battery (and reduced torque).

Also the battery on the Rise can only be removed by dropping the motor. Saves weight by not having the paraphernalia associated with battery covers etc.

The extender on the Rise is for those long rides or for using more power if riding with full fat bike riders. Bike is still lighter than a full fat by quite a margin.

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
I was simply responding to an inquiry for feedback in the real world, having been present on different occasions when three friends, two on the Orbed Rise, complained about their range extenders not working. A small battery plus a range extender is ridiculously close to the same weight as one full size battery. Bigger motor bikes with full size batteries easily offset the ridiculously slight frame weight discrepancy. More power, more range, no range anxiety. Ridiculously simple logic I think..

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Rise with range extender is only about slightly heavier than the bigger battery. With smaller battery is a Kg lighter.

Theres a lot of sense to the idea of having a bike a kg lighter for all the rides you don't need max battery for. (which has been most of my riding on the gen 1)

But you have a little bit of range anxiety, and the way the batteries drain isn't the best for the battery condition.

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
If it makes sense for you, that's all that matters. Me, I'm full/full. More is more. Stronger motor dismisses extra 1 kg going up, adds stability and speed carry going down and cross country, dismisses range anxiety all together. Nice to have choices.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.

Machaggis, I have 3,500 miles on my range extender and it’s still going strong. Based on everybody’s response, your’s is a lemon.

I’ve never tried taking a range extender apart, but before I ponied up $300 for a new extender, I might be tempted to try some exploratory surgery at the connection port of the defective extender. Maybe find a loose wire or connection.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles