Range Bosch gen 4 85Nm

RonJ.

Oct 20, 2019
Netherlands
Hy ,

I am curious how many km you Guys do with the 625w battery and the 85nm motor.
My self mostly in tour mode and a little above the max 25kmh ( chipped ) can do between 45 and 50 km.
My weight 75 kg and my bike Moterra 2.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Seems about right in winter conditions..Ive managed about 32 miles in pure slop with about 3500ft of climbing ..
Having not experienced anything like what you would call "summer riding"..Im assuming the range would be extended in warm / dry / dusty conditions .
On that particular ride the last couple of miles were in eco and my battery range was down to 2miles at the end
I'm 86kg's..with a heavy back pack ( not inc.)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How much climbing in the 45-50KM?

I've done 45KM and 1500m climbing in the warm and dry on my Rail in EMTB mode but that was before the 85Nm upgrade. Haven't had similar weather since the upgrade though so most of my rides run out of arsed before I run out of battery.

RonJ.

Oct 20, 2019
Netherlands
How much climbing in the 45-50KM?

I've done 45KM and 1500m climbing in the warm and dry on my Rail in EMTB mode but that was before the 85Nm upgrade. Haven't had similar weather since the upgrade though so most of my rides run out of arsed before I run out of battery.

Not much climbing flat conditions here in the Dutch,but most in tour and between 25-35kmh.
Battery has done 2600km .
I think the speed above the legal 25 takes a lot more battery consumption.

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
I can comfortably do 50km with maybe 900m vertical riding in EMTB the whole time on my Rail at 75kg. I've not run it completely flat ever. By very rough estimate, I reckon I'm getting ~10% more range riding in the new EMTB-lite mode (gives 140-250% assist). Big days riding planned in Rotorua tomorrow will be a good test. Edit: New Zealand spec bike so speed restricted to 32km/h.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It varies massively depending on the mode you are riding in and the speed you're going, plus other factors such as your weight, steepness of hills etc.

The best I have got is 40 miles, and around 6000 feet of climbing, using pretty much purely eco mode and travelling at normal (ie non ebike) speed.

The worst is about 23 miles and 3500 feet of climbing, using emtb mode, and travelling as fast as I could go.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Not much climbing flat conditions here in the Dutch,but most in tour and between 25-35kmh.
Battery has done 2600km .
I think the speed above the legal 25 takes a lot more battery consumption.

Same rider weight and battery size on 85nm and unlocked, so good like for like comparison Ron and I would say:-

- When riding at the regulated speed limit, you are often riding on the point where the engine is slowing it's support or you are hitting the limiter and it's providing no support. When you remove the limit, more of your ride is at full engine assist and therefore consumes more battery in my experience
- With normal 25kmh speed limit in Tour riding easy I'm getting 70km's on a charge with 1900ft of climbing
- Speed limit set at 35kmh in EMTB pushing really hard, I'm getting more like 50km with 1400ft of climbing
- Note the above are mainly on road/flat trails. Cold and muddy conditions drop a few km's off of the above

If on road/hard-pack, higher tyre pressures made a massive difference for me around 10kms plus per ride, far more than the difference that cold weather makes. Also how high rolling your tyres are makes a sizable difference.

dr4ews

Sep 23, 2020
Barcelona (Spain)
I'v made 80km and 2800 meters of climb with one battery charge in 2 rides with 2,6 tires inflated to 1.5 bar and mostly on trails.

Yesterday I rode this trail:

using 70% ECO, 20% TOUR and a 10% EMTB, I came home with a 35% battery

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
It is very dependent on how you ride and the surface conditions.
I did a ride on Friday, about 60KM and 400m climb and arrived home with 58% battery left. I did the same ride in wet conditions and was worried my battery would make it.
I often do very long rides and purposely go for efficiency by turning the motor off on the flats or light climbs, and only using eco when it gets steeper. (within reason)
I have managed 100km and 900m climb easily on a 500Wh battery.
Important to battery conservation is ride slow and use your legs when using the motor.
I weigh 85kg and the long rides were with a 10kg backpack.

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
I get 3 rides of 25km and 320m elevation in EMTB before I recharge and there is still a bar left when I do. Unrestricted speed and 70kg.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I'm getting 40 miles/65 km when doing more XC-type rides, with one bar left. Over 1,000 m climbing. Switching between modes as needed, prioritising battery/exercise over speed ?

When I'm out for an hour just having fun in EMTB mode prob half that. 20 miles or so.

Last edited:

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
So many factors, it’s impossible to answer accurately.

How much of the ride is switched on? What gradients are you riding?

I can get over 140 miles out of mine on fairly flat gravel tracks and roads with the odd steep hill thrown in, or down to around 60 miles if I keep it switched on with more hills, completely off-road.

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
I was switched on the whole way. eco on the first mostly flat ditch trail and some roads then eMTB mode for the climbs. most of the climbs are steep leg burner switch backs and would have had me pushing my 29 Lb trail bike

selenium

Apr 10, 2021
California
55 km (nearly 35 mi) in eMTB mode on mostly-flat terrain (80 kg + water) and very flat tires for grip (13 psi). Some steep hills doesn't diminish this by much. But higher tire pressure or less knobby tires would help, if not riding in dirt.

Rikster

Jul 3, 2020
There where my bike takes me
Most of the time I charge the battery ones a week after 2 rides (when still 2 bars left on the display) and the I have done around 80km and around a 800-1000hm. Mostly in Eco 60% and tour 40%, eMTB and Turbo I hardly ever use. Last motor update over 3300km (1 year) 61% Eco, 32% Tour, 5% eMTB and 2% Turbo - restricted with aroud 1160km of coasting or above 25km/h.

Also comming from Holland but the east part and riding most of the time the trails around Arnhem, Nijmegen, UHR. Weight around the same 75kg and on a Trek Rail 9.8, fitnes level about average.

But it depends on how you ride, last week I did the trails in Nijmegen red and purple loop, around 37km with 590hm (did some downhill's twice :D) and had 2bars left. While charging it took longer as usual so I think I was pretty close to 1 bar. Was racing and goofing around on the trails, just wanted a good time and have fun. Have done the same with 3 bars left and riding mostly in Eco.

Have ridden in the Ardennes, Germany and the Alpes for big Enduro rides (chilling gooing up, blasting down), there I ride mostly in Eco to preserve as mutch battery as possible. Have done days with 1000hm and 45km with 4 bars left and days with 25km and als 1000hm with just 1 bar left.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
… Have ridden in the Ardennes, Germany and the Alpes for big Enduro rides (chilling gooing up, blasting down), there I ride mostly in Eco to preserve as mutch battery as possible. Have done days with 1000hm and 45km with 4 bars left and days with 25km and als 1000hm with just 1 bar left.

Out of interest, what is 1000hm? I see you use this unit of measure few times, so it must be intentional.
Is it perhaps 1000 hectometres = 100km? Probably not

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
59 km / 1900 hm / 25 kg bike / 90 kg rider / 3 kg gear / 2.6 tires / 1.7 bar pressure
I don't have stats about the mode used, but I didn't use eMTB and Turbo. Mostly ECO, on steeper Tour and on flat off. The bike has almost no drag comparing to Shimano E8000. It's Bosch Gen4 85Nm. I'm stoked how great it is!
And by the way, still one solid bar left when finished.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
And by the way, still one solid bar left when finished.

That just means you have more than 0% but less than 20% left with no way of knowing what it actually is.
The overly simple battery bars are a pain in the arse.
Even range remaining isn’t a great help; I started the last trail at Penmachno with 1 bar and 1 mile range in Eco and finished with 1 bar and 14 miles range. Fucking useless really.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you have to have a stupid great big 1970's phone stuck on your handlebars, they could at least display the battery level in a Digital format on a digital display - ie, a percentage ! So you know what you ACTUALLY have.

At least on the antique Spesh bikes you have 10 led's - that's double the random accuracy and you can connect your phone and run MC or Blevo to see how much you really have.

I think the volspeed alternates the range number with the battery % every 1 in 4 seconds, so contemplating one of those so I actually know how much battery I have. It would be nice if there was at least an option like hold + and - for 3 seconds to see your real battery status. or press - 4 times then + 4 times to configure the display to alternate like the volspeed.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
That just means you have more than 0% but less than 20% left with no way of knowing what it actually is.
The overly simple battery bars are a pain in the arse.
Even range remaining isn’t a great help; I started the last trail at Penmachno with 1 bar and 1 mile range in Eco and finished with 1 bar and 14 miles range. Fucking useless really.

As the solid bar I meant that it just turned one bar from two bars just before my ride was over.

H.E.

May 31, 2021
the mountains
Remaining Range is not really helpful too me too, basicly half ride is only up and the second part is down.
It seems like that you will get a minimum of 1km Range per Bar.
(EMTB Mode that is Eco you might get 2 not sure)
Also had 1 Bar left and after decending ~1300m pumped up the range in tour to 20km,
had a light ascend later on the street like 50m gain and it did go down to 12 little later to 9...

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
If you have to have a stupid great big 1970's phone stuck on your handlebars, they could at least display the battery level in a Digital format on a digital display - ie, a percentage ! So you know what you ACTUALLY have.

At least on the antique Spesh bikes you have 10 led's - that's double the random accuracy and you can connect your phone and run MC or Blevo to see how much you really have.

I think the volspeed alternates the range number with the battery % every 1 in 4 seconds, so contemplating one of those so I actually know how much battery I have. It would be nice if there was at least an option like hold + and - for 3 seconds to see your real battery status. or press - 4 times then + 4 times to configure the display to alternate like the volspeed.
You could get the kiox display, that shows you the actual percentage remaining. It's probably the only reason to get a kiox.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles