Raise ebike on repair stand?

Picard12

Sep 16, 2024
Canada
How do you hoist the ebike on repair stand? Bike is super heavy

Do you use electric stand to hoist the bike up?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
What is tow bar rack?
Its for carrying the bike on the car/van. Basically it is a bike rack that instead of mounting to the roof, or strapped onto the rear, mounts on a tow bar.
Not really applicable.

Ok.
What work/maintenance are you intending to do ?
I ask because you could take some of the weight off the bike before lifting it onto the bike stand. Battery for example, or the wheels or even both

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
I attach a top tube adapter that hooks under the saddle on the seat post and under the stem and lift the bike, setting the adapter into the open upward facing jaws of the work stand. Much easier and better balanced than trying to clamp the seat post into the work stand. Works well on my 51 lb. Turbo Levo.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I just lift my Turbo Levo onto the stand with arm power. I grab the battery tube and the chain stay. And I'm not a big guy (see avatar ;-)

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Our alloy Trek Rails are about 25kg.

1. Attach Halfords "False Cross Bar" horizontally.

2. Lift bike onto Park Tool stand (using legs to lift) and hang on balance point on clamp.

3. Hold in position with left hand while tightening clamp with right hand (because am right handed).

5"10"/75kg/77yrs

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I know bike shops hang bikes off the extended seat post all the time but it makes me nervous doing that - it just looks wrong to do that on a part that moves and has seals (bike stands were designed for fixed seat tubes). I hang my bikes off the top tube (wrapped in a rag) which probably isn't much
better as it is also not designed to be stressed like that. I keep looking for micro cracks in carbon shell. 💁‍♂️

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
I lift my 25kg Raymon fullray on a adapted lidl workstsnd.
I cut a 40mm waste pipe to set the hight required so it won't slowly sink.
Then added 2 bolts to stop the clamp turning and letting the front wheel touch the floor.
1000005838.jpg

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
I lift my 25kg Raymon fullray on a adapted lidl workstsnd.
I cut a 40mm waste pipe to set the hight required so it won't slowly sink.
Then added 2 bolts to stop the clamp turning and letting the front wheel touch the floor. View attachment 147785
That is clever, I have the same stand and I hate how the clamp rotates under the weight of the bike. I might drill through the thing in some increments and insert some kind of pin to fix in place.

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
Our alloy Trek Rails are about 25kg.

1. Attach Halfords "False Cross Bar" horizontally.

2. Lift bike onto Park Tool stand (using legs to lift) and hang on balance point on clamp.

3. Hold in position with left hand while tightening clamp with right hand (because am right handed).

5"10"/75kg/77yrs
Can you rotate the bike when it's hanging by the false cross bar?

Tepi

Nov 18, 2018
Finland
Kuinka nostat ebikeä korjaustelineelle? Pyörä on superraskas

Käytätkö sähkötelinettä pyörän nostamiseen?
Cube E- bikeni painaa noin 24 kg, nosto suoritus on joillekin ihmisille hankala.Myös henkilön pituudella on merkitys.Itse olen mies 78 vuotta,ei ongelmia nostossa. Ilman akkua nostossa tuntee painon kevyemmäksi,noin 3kg. Voima harjoittelusta on etua .

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I am thinking of buying a ebike so I am researching for now
Good idea. Mine weighs 42 lbs. I like the idea of the using the extra bar between the saddle and bars to mount the bike in the bike stand as you can balance it on that bar while you tighten up the clamp. Sounds like you need an understanding wife or a friend to give you a lift if decide to buy a fat emtb 😀

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
if you have a space, a wall mounted wooden stand is much easier to get it onto. 2 triangles of 2" square wood, seat post goes in between the end parts.

Like this but wood Redirect Notice

I also use it to service the fork lowers whilst leaving the fork in the headset.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
How do you hoist the ebike on repair stand? Bike is super heavy

Do you use electric stand to hoist the bike up?
Take wheels off and battery out. I can lift up and do it but an extra hand
( the wife )is a good help to shut the clamp.

Mr. Breeze

May 2, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
You may want to consider an electric lift - similar to what is used in repair shops. While most of those are quite expensive, there is one that more for your DIY'er at home. It still isn't cheap, but something I've considered, even though I can lift my ebikes by hand. Remco Tools - Bike Lift
(I have no affiliation to RemcoTools)

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
That is clever, I have the same stand and I hate how the clamp rotates under the weight of the bike. I might drill through the thing in some increments and insert some kind of pin to fix in place.
The pipe is standard waste pipe , inside diameter is 35mm exactly the same size as the main tube .
2 x 60mm x m5 bolts with a few washers fixes it in place .

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
You may want to consider an electric lift - similar to what is used in repair shops. While most of those are quite expensive, there is one that more for your DIY'er at home. It still isn't cheap, but something I've considered, even though I can lift my ebikes by hand. Remco Tools - Bike Lift
(I have no affiliation to RemcoTools)
For a $1000+ I think I would become more friendly to the wife or neighbors if I struggled to lift my bike up 18" off the ground! Maybe hit the gym?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought a Halfords false cross bar, but the clever design of the ends wouldn't fit to my bike. I really tried.

The right hand side bar is hinged, but thye gap is not big enough.

Falsie.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I know bike shops hang bikes off the extended seat post all the time but it makes me nervous doing that - it just looks wrong to do that on a part that moves and has seals (bike stands were designed for fixed seat tubes). .................
They should not do that!
But what they do may not be much better. An LBS I used to use, pulled the dropper body out of the seat tube and clamped on that. Sure, it's nice and strong, designed for 120kg bikers levering away on it. The problem occurs when they just ram the dropper body back down the seat tube without pulling on the cable at the remote end. The result is a dropper cable folded back on itself and jamming the action. Ask me how I know! :eek:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.................... I hang my bikes off the top tube (wrapped in a rag) which probably isn't much
better as it is also not designed to be stressed like that. I keep looking for micro cracks in carbon shell. 💁‍♂️
I share your nervousness about clamping on the carbon fibre tubes. CF on bikes is not designed for crushing forces. In addition, my top tube is neither round nor parallel, so the Vee jaws of the workstand are not ideal for firm clamping without damage.

I open the jaws of the clamp and put the seat post in there, with all the weight going onto the saddle. I lightly clamp to stabilise the bike. But I leave the front wheel on the ground. This allows me to do most tasks. If I need to do anything on the front, I put a folded towel over the axis of the clamp and hang the bike over that where the down tube and the head tube meet.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
They should not do that!
But what they do may not be much better. An LBS I used to use, pulled the dropper body out of the seat tube and clamped on that. Sure, it's nice and strong, designed for 120kg bikers levering away on it. The problem occurs when they just ram the dropper body back down the seat tube without pulling on the cable at the remote end. The result is a dropper cable folded back on itself and jamming the action. Ask me how I know! :eek:
Exactly! If they at least used a fixed seat post I would feel better about hanging a 50 lb bike off of it and rotating it all around. It not like a seat post can't take the abuse of some 275 lb dude riding up/down a lumpy trail with it fully extended but even with that situation, the forces are mostly down and into the frame. When the bike is hung of an extended dropper post and the the bike is rotated and you start pulling on some Cranks to take them off, that is a considerable amount of force on the dropper post extension joint. Rant over.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles