Rail Downsides

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire

I demo’d a rail this week on the same route where the Orbea rattled and it was silent so maybe they have sorted it.

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
It’s a non issue as far as I’m concerned. Less than a cable rattle . People would complain about anything

Besides, the cables are well accessible if one would prefer to perform a noise-job on their bike. The rattle doesn’t bother me a single bit.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I haven't heard it yet and my bike doesn't have the play at the chain ring that the Spanish guy demonstrated. I haven't done that many miles yet though and it's been wetter than an otter's pocket since I bought the bike so it may just be I haven't ridden in the right conditions.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I haven't heard it yet and my bike doesn't have the play at the chain ring that the Spanish guy demonstrated. I haven't done that many miles yet though and it's been wetter than an otter's pocket since I bought the bike so it may just be I haven't ridden in the right conditions.

Seems to be worse on some than others.
Mine sounded like the chain was slapping off the frame every time I went over a bump when not pedalling. Much like the video you’re referring to.

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
25 miles with 3 bars remaining today ?

image.jpg

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises

I demo’d a rail this week on the same route where the Orbea rattled and it was silent so maybe they have sorted it.

Interesting test.

I wonder if this is linked to the amount of pedal kickback of the rear suspension.
Do the motor engages if the chain pull the crankset in reverse ?
This could be tested on tarmac, with a curb, a soft rear shock, and loose or stiff legs.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
Only downside I've found so far is the ridiculously shallow rims they use meaning installing any stiff-walled tyre is a lot more difficult than it should be!

The display could be a bit more conspicuous as well. No issues yet but I can't see how it won't get destroyed in a bit stack.

Otherwise been loving mine.

Oh and re the knock block, I actually like it. If I am throwing the bike in the boot, it prevents the bars from twisting all up in the car. If I'm just sitting on the bike chatting and take my hands off, the bars can turn and then they stop. Without it they can keep going and the bike can drop between your legs if you don't catch it. Small things but means I refer having it in. I've never hit the bump stop during riding.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Found a new downside today; if you ride a medium or small Rail the only coil shock that fits without the reservoir clouting the frame is the Ohlins TTX 22M at over £700... :oops:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I guess Cane Creek Inline coil without piggyback would work?
Nope, they don't make one the right size.
230 x 60mm fits and increases real suspension travel to 156mm.
The longer stroke will increase the likelihood of the reservoir hitting the frame. Possibly OK on a Large or above frame.

TFTuned, for it was they who broke the bad news to me, have two Rails amongst their staff bikes so they should have a pretty good idea of what fits. Unfortunately, none of the conventional coil shocks with the vertical reservoir fit a Medium, only the Metric Ohlins with the horizontal reservoir, like this;
1583264852449.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Oh, I'm sure I'll like it, what I won't like is paying for it! :ROFLMAO:

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I still have mine I had put on my Levo but annoyingly wrong size, lovely thing though? Wonder if tftuned will px it?

DD47D662-05E7-4EC4-9319-D82377AA228E.jpeg

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I would guess the large cannister of Super Deluxe air shock would also hit the frame on smaller frame sizes then? Stock re’Activ shock has smaller cannister and it’s also aligned a little bit to other side it I remember correctly so it’s not comparable.

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
Nope, they don't make one the right size.

The longer stroke will increase the likelihood of the reservoir hitting the frame. Possibly OK on a Large or above frame.
My DHX2 has 60mm stroke and I simulated the shock stroke without a spring. There’s enough clearance on Large frame, even taking the bottom out bumber into account. I actually ordered mounting bushings from TFTuned. They never mentioned about knowing something about Rail and coil shocks when asking from sales but that was more than three months ago.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If this is what Sam Hill prefers !!! What’s with all the coil shock rage. No thank you
A lot of the RS the pros run Meg Neg cans on there Super Deluxe now, including Sam Hill and Yoann Barelli

Screenshot 2020-03-04 at 17.18.17.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles