Rail 7 Chain ring keeps loosening

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
But it keeps coming undone! Surely a drop of locktite would do the job

If it keeps coming undone, is it possible that the freewheel hub cone is tightening up and giving you a bit of over-run which reverses the chain tension?

The rear hub on my missus' bike converted itself into a fixie recently which makes me wonder whether this is a possibility. Of course, I might be musing complete and utter bollocks...

protowheeler

Sep 10, 2019
England
I've been researching this a bit. The BBT-18 comes in octagonal format so you can't use a 36mm socket with it. Instead I will need to buy a 36mm crows foot open spanner to use my torque wrench. The cheapest one of those I can find is 55€. Ouch!

This Unior one uses 1/2" ratchet drive. I'm sure there are other brands that have a similar thing. Trek carries Unior maybe they can order you one if you can't get it from Unior direct.
8 Tooth Cartridge Bottom Bracket Tool - 1671.2/4 | Unior USA

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
This is what I made, patent pending...
6547383B-DC39-42C9-92A6-E5E2EA3555FF.jpeg
20EDF2BE-BC21-4EC1-9E5C-92F0C8F17FD4.jpeg

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
This Unior one uses 1/2" ratchet drive. I'm sure there are other brands that have a similar thing. Trek carries Unior maybe they can order you one if you can't get it from Unior direct.
8 Tooth Cartridge Bottom Bracket Tool - 1671.2/4 | Unior USA

Thank you! Found it on a Spanish site. Same price in euros as you pay in $. Methinks someone is being a little naughty here given that it's a Slovenian company. I guess we're paying lockdown markup. :unsure:

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
Interestingly I saw a review about the Trek Rail, can't remember where, and they complained that the chain ring kept loosening! Also my Kenevo Lockring torque spec is 50Nm - I know its a different bike!

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
WilkyWay I don't believe you made that?
Prove me wrong and make another, then send to me for inspection ?

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
This was the mk2 version. The mk1 was made from thinner wall steel and wasn’t up to the job.
It’s just a steel cylinder with The teeth cut in, welded to a 1/2” socket, then turned on a lathe to smoothen it and buffed.
Happy to take some more pictures for anyone who wants to make one.

kermaperuna

May 2, 2020
FINLAND
Hello,

I have the same problem with my Rail 7.

- Do I need to remove the right side crank arm to tighten the chainring lockring

- Does it require any special tools to remove the right side crankarm?

Manicm

Apr 23, 2020
Birmingham
Mine went today :( proper loose, given it a wash and checked it over, the locking but just keeps spinning, should it be clockwise? Or anti clockwise? Or is it a case of stripping the crank off then securing the nut?

kermaperuna

May 2, 2020
FINLAND
Mine went today :( proper loose, given it a wash and checked it over, the locking but just keeps spinning, should it be clockwise? Or anti clockwise? Or is it a case of stripping the crank off then securing the nut?
Tighten it counter clockwise. You have to take the crankarm off first to tighten the lockring with a proper tool.

Remove the crank nut with 8mm allenkey. Then use crank-puller (ccp-44 is what i used) to remove crankarm. Tighten the chainring lockring counter clockwise with proper tool ( I used BBT-18). After that put the crank arm + crank nut back and tighten with 8mm allenkey.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Is anyone not bothering with the o-ring? Difficult to torque up the lock ring without the o-ring bunching up, at which point it is surely no longer doing its intended job. Seems to me everything should work just fine without it?

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
There’s definitely no o-ring on mine. It was either never fitted or fell of when it came loose. ??‍♂️
It cant be that important then, I can't work out what function it's supposed to have. I did read somewhere on here that some mechanics aren't bothering with it either ?

Manicm

Apr 23, 2020
Birmingham
As I don’t have the tools I took the hour drive to the bike shop I got the bike from, all I can say is great service, offered me the software update and sorted the chainring out, shouldn’t come loose again. All sorted all there and then which I wasn’t expecting! Bring on the next ride!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles