Quick- Link durability

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Interested to know about experiences with chain quick-links.

I use KMC chains with quick-links and I’m wondering how many times I can open and close them without damaging them.

I’ve read that some makes of chain are only good for opening and closing a very limited number of times.

should I be too concerned?

nosenada

Nov 26, 2019
California
I have reused single use links and multiple use links from both kmc and SRAM without a problem, opening and closing them multiple times.

I have also broken both types. Some after considerable use, some fairly new.

Best to keep a spare handy.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Recommend using the proper tool to undo it. It's worth carrying an old link, you can use this to join a broken chain.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I keep on using them whilst I can find them and only pick a new one once they disapear. Always take a spare one.
Have already broken the chain of my ebike three times this first year but none on the link.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I retain the quick link for the life of the chain. New chain, new quick link.
I keep the old quick links as spars in my back pack, in case I need to repair the chain, or even to give away to those in need.

I used to be able to remove 9&10-speed by hand, but I can't do it on 11&12-speed, need a tool or a fix.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Interested to know about experiences with chain quick-links.

I use KMC chains with quick-links and I’m wondering how many times I can open and close them without damaging them.

I’ve read that some makes of chain are only good for opening and closing a very limited number of times.

should I be too concerned?

You know you don't have to take the chain off to change gear ?.... :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles