Levo Gen 2 Questions for those running SRAM AXS

super_claret

Subscriber
Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
I’ve just installed the SRAM GX AXS upgrade kit on my 2020 Levo, as was having shifting issues which I could not seem to solve. Early thoughts are that it seems great. Shifting is quiet and I haven’t needed to fine tune anything, just set the B screw and limit screws and seems to work perfectly. I love the idea of having no cables.

For those who have been running AXS for a while, how does it stand up to the rigours of off road in winter? The battery cover seems like it could be a problem, has anyone lost a cover before? Is it worth buying a spare and also, anybody been caught with a flat battery, is it worth buying a spare?
Now that I’ve taken out the shifter cable, are there rubber grommets or something to fill the holes and where can I get them? I was thinking of just taping them but wanted a neater solution.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I don't bother with the battery cover, I just left it off, it doesn't really seem to do anything.

In terms of winter use ,mines been fine over 2 winters of being ridden in all weathers,no problems at all.

I've never run out of battery mid ride,but you do need to check it . I glance down at the derailleur at the end of a ride and press the shift button,if the light is anything but green then I put the battery on charge before the next ride. It only takes 40mins or so for a full charge,even a quick 10 minute charge gives enough juice for a lot of rides.i do carry a spare cr2032 battery for the shifter in my bag in case that fails mid ride,but it never has. I recently changed that battery for the first time after 2 years of use, it was still going strong and not showing low charge,but figured I'd change it anyway.

I just put electrical insulation tape over the old holes in the frame,if anyone knows if any grommets that universally fit then I'd be interested in getting some.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I use it for more than a year, I absolutely love it, shifts perfectly, it's very robust and reliable system. I already lost the battery cover once, but then I have found it weeks later. So yes, there is possibility you will lose one, but it doesn't protect that much after all, in fact many axs derailleurs doesn't come with one...
Battery lasts about 20-25 ride hours, with a little care you don't need a spare battery at all. When derailleur starts flashing red you have about 1-2 hours left of juice. If you transport the bike with a car make sure you take the battery out especially on longer travels or else you might drain the battery as the derailleur powers on when movement is detected...

Last edited:

super_claret

Subscriber
Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
I forgot also to ask about washing. After rides In wet winter conditions in the UK, I generally hose the bike down, taking care around the usual places. I’m a bit nervous about using water around the derailleur but have read elsewhere that it stands up to being hosed down…any thoughts?

super_claret

Subscriber
Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
I use it for more than a year, I absolutely love it, shifts perfectly, it's very robust and reliable system. I already lost the battery cover once, but then I have found it weeks later. So yes, there is possibility you will lose one, but it doesn't protect that much after all, in fact many axs derailleurs doesn't come with one...
Battery lasts about 20-25 ride hours, with a little care you don't need a spare battery at all. When derailleur starts flashing red you have about 1-2 hours left of juice. If you transport the bike with a car make sure you take the battery out especially on longer rides or else you might drain the battery as the derailleur powers on when movement is detected...
Wow, I’m glad you told me about taking the battery out when transporting the bike. Does that mean it’s continuously drawing power from the battery? I’m assuming I’ll still get 20 hours use (including travelling time)?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Wow, I’m glad you told me about taking the battery out when transporting the bike. Does that mean it’s continuously drawing power from the battery? I’m assuming I’ll still get 20 hours use (including travelling time)?
Yes when you transport the bike on/in a car it uses almost the same amount of battery as if you were riding the bike, so keep that in mind.
Hosing directly in any electrical componet on the bike is long term a bad idea, a damp cloth in that area is much better option ...

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I forgot also to ask about washing. After rides In wet winter conditions in the UK, I generally hose the bike down, taking care around the usual places. I’m a bit nervous about using water around the derailleur but have read elsewhere that it stands up to being hosed down…any thoughts?
I just hose the bike down as usual,I don't take any special care round the deraiiluer,it's been fine.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It has a movement sensor in it,so that when youre riding the bike it's awake and ready to shift when you press the button. So when it's being transported in a car ,the movement of the car can cause the deraiilier to be awake, and draining the battery at the same rate as when riding (but not shifting).after a few minutes of no movement it goes to sleep,so you don't need to take the battery out when you leave the bike in the garage. I don't really bother taking the battery out when in the car either, as the battery lasts quite a long time anyway.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It’s a really great derailer. I’ve had mine installed for almost 2 years. After the initial installation, B screw adjustment and shifting fine-tuning, I haven’t needed to tweak anything at all. I originally used the Shimano XTR cassette and HG chain.(Hack). When I installed a new Shimano XT cassette I never needed to adjust anything. It was smooth, quiet and fast. I did change the lower jockey wheel to a 13t Shimano (Not really necessary IMO). My cassette, HG chain and chainring seems to last longer.

I charge the battery once every 5 rides, wash the bike normally(shower setting), clean debris from the battery area when I remove the battery for charging(don’t use your own toothbrush), quick inspection, make sure the battery cage is secure, go ride.

I’ll probably install an Axs GX derailer on my HT also, if the price drops a bit. Since I’m an electronics nerd I eventually installed the AXS Reverb 170mm dropper.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
how does it stand up to the rigours of off road in winter?
I've completely submerged the derailleur when riding through deep water, and haven't had a problem. But riding in rain and water is something I try to avoid, so my experience is limited.

The battery cover seems like it could be a problem, has anyone lost a cover before?
Never

anybody been caught with a flat battery, is it worth buying a spare?
I typically ride several times a week, and the battery lasts well over a month. Once I decided to see how long I could go. The battery icon changed to "low," but the shifter didn't die in the middle of a ride. I carry a spare CR2032 because it's small and can be stashed with your other gear.

I'm not an adherent to the belief that it's necessary to remove the battery when transporting the bike. During the month between charges, almost all my rides involve a 30-45 minute drive each way. Over the space of a month, that's over 15 hours of drive-time. Fifteen hours in the truck, twenty on the trail, and the battery is fine.

are there rubber grommets or something to fill the holes and where can I get them?
I took some black silicone gasket adhesive on my finger, and wiped it over the holes in the grommets. Now they just look like solid grommets.

super_claret

Subscriber
Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Can anyone advise whether its possible to run SRAM GX AXS using an existing
Shimano CS-M7100 10-51t 12-Speed cassette and chain?
I'm thinking of buying AXS for my Wife's bike but don't want the additional expense of cassette and chain
as it's a new bike?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I'm thinking of buying AXS for my Wife's bike but don't want the additional expense of cassette and chain
as it's a new bike?
yes, that will work fine.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
as it's a new bike?

I’ve been using the Shimano cassette and chain with the AXS GX derailer for 2+ years. Shortly after installing the Axs GX derailer I upgraded to the Shimano XT cassette and Hyper Glide chain. I never had to do fine-tuning adjustments either when I changed. In fact, I’ve only done the micro adjustment once in 2+ years.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks, exactly the answer I'd hoped for :)
The “B” screw adjustment may be different if you use this hack. The gage provided may not suitable. I used an Allen key thickness to adjust the “B” distance between the upper jockey wheel and 2nd gear. (5mm?).

super_claret

Subscriber
Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
The “B” screw adjustment may be different if you use this hack. The gage provided may not suitable. I used an Allen key thickness to adjust the “B” distance between the upper jockey wheel and 2nd gear. (5mm?).
Not thought about that but good point. Not decided whether I'm going ahead yet. Might just wait until her cassette is worn and due a replacement and then buy a SRAM NX cassette and chain

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
I thought about AXS, but.... it's too big for MTB.
I had normal Eagle mech and I was hitting some rocks 1-2 times per ride, switched to XT M8000.
My friend had GX AXS and, yes, he hits rocks, clutch and everything starts to be lose quite fast, after few months he moved to XT M8000 (and did warranty claim on GX AXS, i don't know the results)
short: it's not for MTB

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Actually It's designed for MTB, after more than a year of abuse I found it very sturdy and reliable. I had to replace bent hanger twice, but derailleur still shifts snappy just as on day one ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles