Power cutoff for a few seconds???

pagheca

Nov 6, 2022
La Palma, Canary Islands
Hello everyone,

A hour ago I was doing a very uphill and crumbling track about 500 m long. I set the Turbo on my Trek (powered by Bosch CX Performance) and was using the highest gear, no problems.

At one point I rode up some kind of sharp step between rocks. I clearly felt the rim of the rear wheel touch the edge and at the same instant the drive torque drops dramatically, probably to zero. I pedaled hard not to stop as I was thinking about what to do, but after about five seconds, just as it had gone, the motor torque came back.

No further issues until I went home.

I have read that something similar happened to many people. Do you know why? I don't think it is a defect. I was wondering if there is a sensor that cuts the power when certain conditions occur. I think something similar happened to me time ago but I didn't really noticed because I was going faster.

Any idea?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Perhaps you hit an over current limit... or over torque... over temp?

In the six months I've been riding Bosch, there have been about three times when I experienced an "anomaly." It's always been when I've been riding as hard as possible on some heinous feature. As you experienced, it's hard to break it down and analyze when it's happening. And it's too infrequent to establish a pattern. I can't even say with certainty that the phenomenon was real or user induced. In my case, I don't think there's anything to get excited about at this time.

pagheca

Nov 6, 2022
La Palma, Canary Islands
Thanks. You confirmed my suspect. It was probably an overcurrent/overtorque. What surprised me is that I couldn't find a reference to a behaviour like this: a few sec shut down and then back again.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Has it ever happened to anyone else here?
Yes, and to my neighbour.
During climbs, when we are using power of course, the vibration frequency causes the power between the battery and the socket to become intermittent. In our case, and another Rail, it was poor battery alignment.

The battery would slightly rattle …and eventually get worse over time. Secure the battery. eliminate any rattling, add small chair-leg cushions around the battery. Any noise and rattling coming from this area will cause excessive wear to the electrical contact points.

IMO, if you need to use dielectric grease in this area …you’ll have other or more problems. I don’t use dielectric grease here.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, haven’t had a problem since I secured and fitted the battery.

Slightly moving the lower bulk-head (electrical socket) seems to have helped.

Just loosen (only) the two security Torx bolts for the lower bulkhead. Adjust for a slightly tighter fit when the battery is in place.

You may need to remove the skid plate to accomplish this.

Last edited:

Niklas

Jun 10, 2019
Sweden
It happens then and then especially when riding harder in real technical terrain, it’s really annoying 🤬 Love the Bosch motor except for that though🤷‍♂️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles