Possibly brought wrong forks

Stubbs

Jun 9, 2024
UK
Hi, I'm waiting on delivery of a Dengfu E82, which states 170 mm suspension travel, I've stupidly brought 160 mm suspension travel forks :(... What effect do you think this will have on the bike?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Subtracting 30% sag, the front end will be 7mm lower. That will drop the BB height by less than half that (2.5mm on my bike), depending upon the exact location of the BB along the wheelbase.
It will make the head angle a fraction steeper. On my size large bike that would be 1.3deg.

However, your fork may be capable of being extended. Many Rockshox forks can easily be extended by 10mm.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Subtracting 30% sag, the front end will be 7mm lower. That will drop the BB height by less than half that (2.5mm on my bike), depending upon the exact location of the BB along the wheelbase.
It will make the head angle a fraction steeper. On my size large bike that would be 1.3deg.

However, your fork may be capable of being extended. Many Rockshox forks can easily be extended by 10mm.
That's exactly what I did to the Domain that came on my Rail 7. Rockshox offers a very affordable extended shaft to raise the travel...very cheap fix for RS forks that have that option.

Stubbs

Jun 9, 2024
UK

Stubbs

Jun 9, 2024
UK

Hi, So, I have these forks..RockShox Yari RC DebonAir 29, am I looking at the rightt thing here?

Rockshox Air Spring Upgrade Kit

Thx

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Hi, So, I have these forks..RockShox Yari RC DebonAir 29, am I looking at the rightt thing here?

Rockshox Air Spring Upgrade Kit

Thx
Looks like the right one for your fork by description. The one for my Domain looks different, so just make sure you select the correct one for your specific fork. They're not all identical as you've probably noticed.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Suggest you ride the bike before buying anything, it it feels good then it is. IYSWIM.
Wrong, irie. More travel is always better. I'm considering installing a dual crown, 12" travel dirt bike fork on my Rail. More is always better.;)

But seriously, heck it's worth trying out first to see how it goes with the 160 fork. I do admit to liking a little more travel up front on my MTB's usually as compared to the rear, but some of that also depends on the individual bike. Over time, however, I've usually had just a hair more fork travel.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Wrong, irie. More travel is always better. I'm considering installing a dual crown, 12" travel dirt bike fork on my Rail. More is always better.;)

But seriously, heck it's worth trying out first to see how it goes with the 160 fork. I do admit to liking a little more travel up front on my MTB's usually as compared to the rear, but some of that also depends on the individual bike. Over time, however, I've usually had just a hair more fork travel.
No, not wrong. Whatever feels right and works best for you is right.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles