Pic of the Day

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
This is what was forecast for our late afternoon ride out of Old Bewick on the far Eastern side of the Cheviot Hills ..

1000006754.jpg
..the reality was somewhat different with one of the heaviest downpours while driving there that I've ever encountered with visibility down to just about zero .
This in turn led to a delayed start as the conditions proved too much for some poor buggers and the inevitable crash occurred ( supposed to have been a bad one) and we had to re-route on some minor roads ...
Just the three of of us myself , Wayne & Colin .
Along with Jaco ..Colin is one of our " elder statesmen " riders and an absolute inspirational character ..well into his late 70's and with one or two ops on both hands & knees ..he's still out there in all weather's although admittedly he doesn't like anything too technical these days.
Having missed the recent Scottish Highland trip with mechanical issues it was great to catch up with him again .
Anyway onto the ride ..It was wet with the ford's & stream crossings in full flow a bit more of a challenge than they usually are ..
13+ miles covered ..which seemed like a whole lot more due to the conditions ..did I mention it was wet ..well it was ..very wet ..however the sun did peek out from time to time and if you don't mind your technical garments being soaked through..it was also fantastic fun .
Some pics ..
1000006763.jpg
1000006765.jpg
1000006766.jpg
1000006768.jpg
1000006770.jpg
1000006771.jpg
1000006773.jpg
1000006774.jpg
Thanks to Colin & Wayne for an excellent evening jaunt ..and to the latter for the pint afterwards
Cheers 🍻

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I knew that comment would bring you Yorkies out of the woodwork 😂
When the earth was formed Yorkshire as beautiful as it is was made as a natural barrier for the southern tourist hordes to think " well it doesn't get much better than this " ..and stops them venturing further north to the real gem which is Northumberland ..obviously one or two escape which is unfortunate so keep promoting it as "God's own Country " ..you are doing us a massive favour 😉😁

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Ladies Only is one of the original trails on the North Shore here in Vancouver dating back to 1992. It is a Double Black trail loaded with wood work and other demanding features. It even has a resident heron that lives in a pond that you get to traverse while going over a log with a teeter tooter on it. Lower Ladies is even more difficult with steep rock chutes and tight corners. It even has a roller coaster! I would like to be able to clean this trail this season.

A Lower Ladies section looking up

01a.jpg

Lower Ladies looking down...

2a.jpg

Who doesn't like a good roller coaster?

3a.jpg

Ladies Only. One of the oldest trails on the North Shore.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
My only experience of “The Shore” is from watching the DVD’s produced by the Collective in the early 2000’s……..
Think I’ll dig them out for another look when she’s gone shopping 🛒
Spesh SX Trails and 26” wheels who would have thought it 😆
Young Cam McCall, Hunter, and a very young Stevie Smith…….who sadly is no longer with us

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
What a great DVD Roam is……. The bikes look like toys but with Wade Simmons Steve Peat, Berrecloth, Vanderham, Matt Hunter and in a time before Danny McCas Ryan Leech. All fantastic riders ( the narration is a tad cheesy but)
The soundtrack is not a bad mix either.
If you’re having a nostalgic evening have you watched all the Alex Rankin vids? Sprung & Earthed series. All available on YouTube 👍🏽

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Where in BC are you? I'm in the Okanagan.
I was in revelstoke and often went do thru the ok(rock oven, penticton/knuckleduster/code4), westbank(powers,smith), kelowna(gillard, cox,vapour), vernon trails(ss pass for yrs), the loops(mainly just the classic and sunpeaks). Im in NB now for a bit. I miss revy and having the OK on my doorstep. Crazy good there and sooo many trails and so diverse from semi arrid desert to sup tropical old growth forests and huge vert. I've never ridden naramata/3 blind mice area and that Emtb festival looks like itll be really really good.
Where are you?

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Great local ride out today with @The Hodge and Jaco, a loop out of Whitney Chapel south of Hexham, Northumberland.
The weather was good and fearing the worst for the trails after what seems like weeks of rain in this part of the we set off. (Jaco joined us part way round the loop after recovering from a short illness……to get his confidence back). We’ve rode these trails many times and always great to revisit them.
A road section to the foot of Kings Law and we were on sublime moorland singletrack taking in Hangman Hill and navigating the sizeable bog below it, Pikeley Rig onto the Broadway, a quick sarnie in the shooters hut and onto the steep grassy and fast descent that is Fell View (this where we met Jaco).
Then a pleasant road section along the river before the long climb the takes up to the Black Way ( Issacs tea trail) bridleway to Sparty Lee. An excellent pristine little used bridleway that’s great to ride. Loads of mini bogs to clear. We managed to ride most of them but a couple caught me out sinking immediately above the front hub and almost loosing a Five 10 in the process.
A couple of pics of Neil, a couple of pics of Jaco on Fell View and shot of the Cheviots in the background of a scenic pic maybe 60 mile away but don’t quote me on the distance. IMG_7898.jpeg IMG_7896.jpeg
That’s Neil in control IMG_7905.jpeg IMG_7904.jpeg
That’s Jaco coming down Fell View
IMG_7901.jpeg
That’s the view to the North Northumberland…the Cheviots.
Thanks lads for another memorable days biking.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Not much more to add to Wayne's write up ..it was an excellent ride out and great to see Jaco working his way back to health & fitness ..
Wayne sporting bog trotting trews ..patent pending .
1000006784.jpg
1000006785.jpg

Lunch stop in the shooters hut ..the track is "motorway" stuff on an ebike ..and in certain sections they have destroyed fantastic singletrack laying this crap 💩
1000006786.jpg
1000006787.jpg

Wayne & Jaco on the driest part of the Black Way ..a good old fashioned portion of singletrack with a varied selection of bog thrown in to keep things real...fantastic stuff 😳 👍🏻
1000006788.jpg
1000006789.jpg

Nice to feel a bit of sunshine on the old bones ..Long may this weather continue ..
A ride in the heart of the Cheviots next week on dry & dusty tracks ?
Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
Map & numbers ..although Wayne's ascent number was closer to 3,200ft which my legs are telling is true 😂
1000006790.jpg

Last edited:

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Heartbreak Ridge, followed by Tarland Trails 2 the next day. We normally have an annual trip up to the Torridon area, but gave it a go this year in the Cairngorms. Nice to cut 4 hours of the journey and got pretty lucky with the weather. Tarland amazed me, £5 parking for the day and so much fun. Love Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
IMG_6962.jpeg
IMG_6963.jpeg IMG_6964.jpeg IMG_9812.jpeg IMG_6969.jpeg IMG_6970.jpeg

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Took 2 hours to do 22 miles yesterday but didn't take any pics.
Wore long trousers and long sleeve top because the stinging nettles are growing like crazy everywhere, some are already riding head height :eek: but still got stung really bad.

Had to wear mitts, too hot for gloves, hands were a red mess :(

When finishing met a couple of riders going the other way on Orbea and Mondraker eMTBs who asked me about what is was like where I'd been. They were wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts so wished them good luck with the stinging nettles ...

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Another blue sky day before the snow returns to the high tops IN JUNE! Incidentally this area is scheduled to be trashed in the Lochan Na H-Earba pumped storage hydro scheme. Must be a profit in there somewhere but not for me nor thee!

View attachment 141554 View attachment 141555
Yes I was hearing about that scheme pretty severe . They reckon four years of heavy traffic on that road that will be interesting. Great wilderness cycle there but for how long.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles