Peatys or muc off tyre sealant

RsGaz

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
N. Lincolnshire
Hi all, going to replace my tyres soon, just wondering what sealant everyone recommends, I was leaning towards the Peatys, but I’m open to suggestions. Thanks

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
I used muckoff - 1 season no issue but maybe last not as long as other, then moved to stans (different version).

Regarding Peatys, old ones (2020) where a total mess, stinky, solid parts, hard to clean etc. It seems it has improved as some people do not seems to relate this.

Honestly, I do not see any reason to not go with stans as peatys price is similar and used by a tons of people, this is not marketing anymore.

Only product I praise from peatys is their all weither premium lube: perfect.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Oko fluid watered down about 25%.
If it's good enough for farmers then a poxy MTB wheel won't bother it 👍
I've been using it for years, it doesn't dry out like latex but does leak through the sidewalls, so a top up every 6 months or so is required.
I have one wheel with about 30 thorns in it and it's still working ok.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I used to use Puncture Guard but they don't make it any more. It was fluorescent green, so it was easy to see any leaks/puncture holes. It was non-latex, so it never dried out. Dead easy to use too. The green spots on the tyres let me know that I had over two dozen punctures on each tyre before they were binned.

Once PG disappeared from the shelves, I moved to Continental Revo sealant, solely because I was using Conti tyres at the time. It is one of the non-ammonia latex sealants so it does not do any harm to the tyre. That may be marketing bullshit, I dunno. But it works very well, and is easy to use.

Having seen the above post from @Bones I might give OKO Fluid a go. I really like the fact that it's not a latex sealant and does not dry out into a latex starfish rumbling around in the tyre. :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
@Bones How much OKO Tyre Sealant do you use. You also mentioned watering it down. I have tyres 29x2.5 and 27.5x2.6.
There is what appears to be a generic tyre sealant:

Tyre Sealant off road oko 1.25 Litres - Tuckwells

But then the OKO website mentions OKO Magic Milk for tubeless tyres.

Have you used this as opposed to the generic sealant they make?
Just the bog standard stuff. I water mine down around 25 to 30 %.
And I put loads in, like up to 200ml

Ickle_legs

Feb 9, 2020
Sussex
Have used Orange Endurance almost exclusively for c.7 years. Works well and doesn't clump (other than in punctures where it's supposed to😆). Needs top-up maybe 2-3 times a year.
I have recently used Peatys for 1st time (originally got for different useage i.e.not MTB) but too early to comment - particles seem quite large so presume might seal larger holes 🤞

Muscles

Mar 16, 2023
Kentucky
Muc-off will leave a mess on your bike that’s hard to clean up if you have a puncture. And I can’t tell that it works any better or even as good as Stans

Brent8275

May 28, 2021
Auckland
This is how much stans sealant was in my tyre when I changed it out the other day. Still sealed fine, but I presume it wouldn't have done much if something had punctured the tyre? Made me wonder why they recommend 100 to 150ml...
20240906_133344.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles