Orbea Wild - routing rear brake hose/battery protector

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I'm trying to replace my Shimano brakes with a set of TRP DHR Evos today, and the one bit I've really been dreading is taking out the old brake hose and routing the new one. The part I'm really scratching my head over is the laminated battery protector (part #28 in the Blue Paper on pages 32/33.

The protector is a little bit flexible and I can bend it back a bit and see all the cables and hoses tucked up behind it. It looks like it will be a huge headache to try to cut the zip ties, run the hose back and forth, and put in new zip ties if the protector is always in the way, but it also looks like taking the protector out might also be a headache.

Has anyone done this before? I'm wondering what you found to be the best way to go about it.

Edit: Nevermind, the protector is flexible enough to just bend back more forcefully to get reasonable access to the cables.

Edit: Success. Some considerations if someone is doing a rear brake hose change:

- You'll need to snip the zip ties tying the kiox cable, dropper housing, and brake hose very carefully.
- The chainstay port for the rear brake hose requires a truly thin zip-tie to help the hose maintain clearance from your rear wheel spokes. It's worth trying to get your hands on one before starting
- You may need to rotate the banjo on the rear caliper to help reduce curvature on the bit of brake hose between the caliper and the chainstay port.
- The routing has some challenging bits. I used a Park IR-1.2 routing kit and while it had a bit of a learning curve, it was really valuable to getting the job done.
- Once everything is done, carefully ziptie the cable/hose/housing triplet back together and tuck them back under the protector

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
It looks like the Park IR-1.2 is missing the most important tool for this job, something like this:

1617772584958.png

(so you can join the old hose to the new one and just pull it through its existing path)

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
It looks like the Park IR-1.2 is missing the most important tool for this job, something like this:

View attachment 57882
(so you can join the old hose to the new one and just pull it through its existing path)
Very cool, what's it called? I might try to source one in the future just to have it on hand if a good situation turns up for it.

In this particular case, I don't think it would have been the right tool. Eyeballing it here, but the rigid dimensions look too wide and long to get through the downtube/seat tube brace (trust me, the clearance in there is much tighter than it looks from the outside) or to make the tight turn on the left chainstay. Still, something with the same concept but smaller dimensions might have served.

Likewise, you would need a third hose to use that to pull the DHR Evo hose through since both have a banjo on the caliper side.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles