Orbea dissapointed ??‍♂️

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I have a 2021, and my disappointingly came with a wheel magnet. Not sure if they had a first run without the center lock magnets, but I am so bummed about it even though it is a little thing. Interesting that you have it too.
I think it depends on what model you have , I have the H10 which is the alloy version , I much prefer the set up I've got than the magnet on the spokes thing it's almost old skool ?

James7475

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Did anyone add an extra battery to their frame?? If so, where did you get the bracket to attach it from? Thanks again. My H10 is arriving tomorrow ????

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Did anyone add an extra battery to their frame?? If so, where did you get the bracket to attach it from? Thanks again. My H10 is arriving tomorrow ????
If you download the wild fs bluepaper from the orbea website, it contains a list of all the parts you need to add the extra battery.

You need more than just the bracket, there are additional wiring looms and other pieces. You also need a bosch dealer to modify the firmware to tell it that the bike has the option of a second battery.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
2. The orbea dropper seatpost is rubbish, I mean it works and seems reliable, but it gets sticky really quickly in wet weather and needs constant oiling to keep running nicely, this is easy to do though at least. And its quite stiff to push down with your backside. I think I'll be buying a different dropper soon.

agreed. I've just got in touch with the bike shop to try and send mine back, or get a new replacement that I can sell on maybe, don't know exactly how it works.
mine seems to be sticky the first time you use it. if you operate it 2-3 times in quick succession it gets a bit smoother.
but if you suddenly get to a techy steep bit and want to drop your seat in a hurry it becomes frustrating, it's annoying having to to jump up and land on the seat to force it down!

also, my M20 came with the magnet on the disc guess I got lucky

When I registered my warranty I noticed in the spares part they sell the charging port flaps and they are only £5 or so. I should probably buy a couple of spares, it won't be long before I just rip it off in a fit of rage it's so frustrating getting it back on

James7475

Feb 13, 2021
UK
agreed. I've just got in touch with the bike shop to try and send mine back, or get a new replacement that I can sell on maybe, don't know exactly how it works.
mine seems to be sticky the first time you use it. if you operate it 2-3 times in quick succession it gets a bit smoother.
but if you suddenly get to a techy steep bit and want to drop your seat in a hurry it becomes frustrating, it's annoying having to to jump up and land on the seat to force it down!

also, my M20 came with the magnet on the disc guess I got lucky

When I registered my warranty I noticed in the spares part they sell the charging port flaps and they are only £5 or so. I should probably buy a couple of spares, it won't be long before I just rip it off in a fit of rage it's so frustrating getting it back on

Talking of magnets, mine is still on the spokes as it’s a 2020 model. Has anyone ever tried the deristriction hack of moving the magnet sensor forward on the frame and attaching a new magnet to the crank arm? As shown in the YouTube clip?? Interesting...

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I think the 21 models have this speed sensor system ,well mine does, I suppose the downside of this is that the magnet clamp/bracket goes onto the centre lock nut so you would have to stick with center lock disks but you'd have a better choice of disks to choose from ?

I'm not sure that's true. I'm going to build up a pair of 6-bolt wheels in the near future (rims are finished and about to be shipped, rear hub is running very late). I bought a couple Levo 6-bolt magnets to go with them. Also have Magura MDR-P rotors and waiting on the MDR-P magnets to arrive. I'm betting at least one of those (if not both) will work.

I might borrow a 6-bolt rear wheel from another bike to confirm sooner, it would just be a bit of a hassle.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

If you unscrew the collar at the top of the seat post, you can drip some lightweight oil into the sliding mechanism and that helps things quite a bit, but you need to do this fairly regularly. If you consider the nose of the saddle is the 12 oclock position, you should drip oil at the 3 and 9 oclock positions as that is where the channels are that the inner seatpost slides on.

or if you take the seatpost out of the frame and unhook the cable, you can unscrew the bottom of the post and remove the inner seatpost from the outer seatpost and clean and oil everything properly, it gets it working smoothly again, but it wont last long until you have to oil it again. Its fairly straightforward to do this and doesnt involve anything complicated.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Hi all
I also have an orbea wild FS 2021 and its a great bike (No spoke magnet) :)
This is my 6th emtb and ive got to say my best to date and not just because its the latest
Only niggle i had with it is the dropper post is too long to go all the way into the frame apart from that all is good
We are all different but a bit more detail on the OPs "its Scrap" would have been nice because if he reckons its scrap he must of had some ultimate weapon of choice before .
It would be interesting to hear your take on the previous 5 and why the Wild tops them.

Also as a hack for the dropper. If it goes too high put a tether on it from the saddle/mount to under the seat clamp. Just adjust it to the max height you require.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
If you download the wild fs bluepaper from the orbea website, it contains a list of all the parts you need to add the extra battery.

You need more than just the bracket, there are additional wiring looms and other pieces. You also need a bosch dealer to modify the firmware to tell it that the bike has the option of a second battery.

Speaking from painful experience here, I strongly suggest actually talking to the technician and checking off every single part number needed to do the upgrade. Mine was a Bosch-trained technician. He said over and over again that he had everything he needed when in fact there were multiple parts he didn't account for and now have to be ordered.

Last edited:

Nikk69

Mar 26, 2021
South Korea
I'm not sure that's true. I'm going to build up a pair of 6-bolt wheels in the near future (rims are finished and about to be shipped, rear hub is running very late). I bought a couple Levo 6-bolt magnets to go with them. Also have Magura MDR-P rotors and waiting on the MDR-P magnets to arrive. I'm betting at least one of those (if not both) will work.

I might borrow a 6-bolt rear wheel from another bike to confirm sooner, it would just be a bit of a hassle.

I wonder if the MDR-P magnet worked well.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I haven't received the MDR-P magnet yet. The whole order is unfortunately hung up waiting on a backordered part. That said, I did receive all the parts I need to build up the new wheels, so at least I'll be able to test out the Levo magnets soon-ish.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
As you can imagine here in Spain is plenty of Wilds. I ride a few and is a beast. Suspension tuning is sublime, coil works perfect on them. Nothing wrong with geo, you can size up easily if want more modern one. And I don’t like 29ers but this one deserve props.

James7475

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Speaking from painful experience here, I strongly suggest actually talking to the technician and checking off every single part number needed to do the upgrade. Mine was a Bosch-trained technician. He said over and over again that he had everything he needed when in fact there were multiple parts he didn't account for and now have to be ordered.
Hello again! I’m still waiting for the parts to arrive from Spain but, by the sounds of it, I might need to order more than the following...

Frame mounting Kit
Extra cable
Battery

Thanks again for your time

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Hello again! I’m still waiting for the parts to arrive from Spain but, by the sounds of it, I might need to order more than the following...

Frame mounting Kit
Extra cable
Battery

Thanks again for your time

I'm not 100% sure since they didn't go into much detail about what parts they were missing. I can say that you're going to want to hunt down an ABUS lock core that matches the Plus code on your key, otherwise you'll have a different key for each battery (and that would render the key stowed in the steerer tube halfway useless).

You'll want the "blank" (not sure of the correct name) with the water bottle mount to install when you aren't toting the frame battery around, and you'll also want the rubber plug to protect the connector from exposure to the elements when the battery isn't fitted. Hopefully those just come with the kit, but I'm not sure.

Also in my case the firmware is suspect. The KIOX shows both batteries, but they aren't charging together. The Bosch rep assured me that if I see two batteries that the firmware is good to go, but since it's charging them in an unbalanced way, I think something wasn't configured right with the firmware.

(Edit: It charges fine, it just takes the internal battery up to 91 or 92% before charging the frame battery.)

Last edited:

Nikk69

Mar 26, 2021
South Korea
I haven't received the MDR-P magnet yet. The whole order is unfortunately hung up waiting on a backordered part. That said, I did receive all the parts I need to build up the new wheels, so at least I'll be able to test out the Levo magnets soon-ish.

"The new Wild FS of Range 2021 have the centerlock system and include the speed sensor on the centerlock rotor lockring. It is not possible to install a 6 bolt system on them."

I received a negative reply from Obea about 6-Bolts but I think the new slim sensor will be in the same position as other bosch E-MTBs.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
"The new Wild FS of Range 2021 have the centerlock system and include the speed sensor on the centerlock rotor lockring. It is not possible to install a 6 bolt system on them."

I received a negative reply from Obea about 6-Bolts but I think the new slim sensor will be in the same position as other bosch E-MTBs.
I think the rotor mounted magnet will still work if you get a 6 bolt adapter for center lock , you still use the centre lock nut so the magnet would still attach like normal on the centre lock nut ?? the 6 bolt kit is only £12 so might have a looky ?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA

I just bolted up the hub for my new wheel build (Onyx Classic) to an MDR-P rotor and a Levo magnet (not the MDR-P magnet) and then slotted that into the frame in place of the rear wheel. When I spin the hub, the Kiox does register a speed that seems rational.

Take this with a grain of salt for now, because as a workstand test, I can't promise that you'll never run into error codes or other problems with a fielded wheel build out on the trails, but yes, this early test looks really promising.

I strongly suspect that whoever said a 6-bolt system won't work was simply repeating a safe company line. After all, since Orbea doesn't sell 6-bolt rotor magnets, 6-bolt wheels are therefore an unsupported use case. It's just easier for them to say that it can't be done.

Edit: Took my first ride using 6-bolt hubs with Levo magnets. It was totally fine. I didn't compare speeds but the drivetrain was purring along as usual.

Last edited:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I bought an Orbea Wild FS H20 last year for under £4000 new. Yes it has a wheel mounted magnet but come on! For that money? Shimano brakes and Fox suspension, I'm not complaining. That's the only downside I've found with it. The bike is well specced and rides superbly. I have no regrets after 6 months.

Al

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Tried the MDR-P magnet just now - the 2021 Wild FS sensor does *not* pick it up. The magnet core appears smaller and sits further away than the Levo magnet.

I’m having zero issues with the Levo magnet so IMHO this is really your best bet for 6-bolt on a 2021 Wild.

Reactions: Zed

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles