Orbea - Ability to support spares

Nick_V

Oct 9, 2020
UK
Seriously worried about Orbeas ability to support parts for older generation bikes. A friend has had his battery fail on his Gen 1 carbon. It went into the bike shop 4 weeks ago and he has been quoted the earliest delivery possible is November !!! 4 months to wait for a part is dreadful. I have the Gen 2 model and wonder how long parts will be supported for that. Lesson learnt here not to buy a bike with bespoke parts, had this been a regular Shimano battery then I reckon the wait would not be so long.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I'm a little concerned by this too.

They redesigned the linkage on the Rise going from the creaky 3 piece to the newer 2 piece. That's a good thing.
The 2 piece linkage is backwards compatible, this is also good.

They made the 3 pice piece linkage obsolete so you can't buy spares any more and have to get the whole new assembly £££. That's bad.

2 year old bike and you already can't buy parts for it. It's not a great image.

The new models use new batteries so will I be able to buy a replacement in a few years? I doubt it.

I'm sure I read that Bosch are now guaranteeing support for something like 8 years so you know you'll be able to get parts in the future. This is what we need.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
I'm a little concerned by this too.

They redesigned the linkage on the Rise going from the creaky 3 piece to the newer 2 piece. That's a good thing.
The 2 piece linkage is backwards compatible, this is also good.

They made the 3 pice piece linkage obsolete so you can't buy spares any more and have to get the whole new assembly £££. That's bad.

2 year old bike and you already can't buy parts for it. It's not a great image.

The new models use new batteries so will I be able to buy a replacement in a few years? I doubt it.

I'm sure I read that Bosch are now guaranteeing support for something like 8 years so you know you'll be able to get parts in the future. This is what we need.
Why would you want to buy spare parts to shit 3-piece linkage when you can upgrade it to better one?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
went into the bike shop 4 weeks ago and he has been quoted the earliest delivery possible is November !!!

I hear a lot of stories about how folks go to their bike stores and have to wait months for parts. I've had dealings with some of these manufacturers, and have had great service. That leaves me scratching my head. Is it possible that some bike stores are not well connected, and are scapegoating the manufacturer?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I hear a lot of stories about how folks go to their bike stores and have to wait months for parts. I've had dealings with some of these manufacturers, and have had great service. That leaves me scratching my head. Is it possible that some bike stores are not well connected, and are scapegoating the manufacturer?
Most of the similar stories I've read seem to be Orbea being slow. New motors etc are down to Madison (in the UK) to sort out as the distributor for Shimano. Obrea specific parts have to come from Orbea and I've heard from a couple of different shops that they're not exactly the quickest.

If the part you need is available through a distributor, a new shock for example and the dhop has a good relationship with the distributor, you'll get sorted quickly. If you're waiting for Orbea, it'll probably take a while!

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I'll sell you a £40 axle for £100 ;) :D :)
Bargain! 😂

Someone, somewhere will probably pay that for the old linkage as I think you need bits of it if you want the Cascade linkage.

I was fortunate enough that the shop I bought it from managed to sort out a new linkage under warranty.

But my point still remains...

Yes if it`s upgrade
And it's a point that's being missed here.

I'm not questioning whether the new style is better. A bike costing somewhere between £5-10k shouldn't have support withdrawn after 2 years. By making the original pieces obsolete, Orbea have effective made the bike unrepairable unless you pay out a substantial amount of money for something that not everyone wants or needs. If it was a 10 year old bike, fine. You can still buy a '22 model brand new yet, you can't buy parts for it any more.

It's poor and it's a concerning attitude to have as a manufacturer to simply stop selling parts for relatively new bikes as and when they feel like it.

Like I said in my first post, in 2 years/5 years will I be able to buy a new battery for my bike? Who knows. Apparently Orbea might just decide one day not to manufacture any more and then I'll have a big ugly paperweight that can't be fixed. Ebikes are expensive and for what they cost, they should work for a lot longer that 2 years.

I'm not always an advocate of rules and standards but I think there should be rules in place to prevent this type of thing from happening. If you're manufacturing and selling ebikes, you should have to provide support for a reasonable amount of time.

The OP was regarding concern over future availability of parts. The fact that they made the linkage obsolete is evidence that this concern is valid.

If Orbea had done a recall on the original linkage and offered a redesigned version free of charge then I'd be less worried. They didn't do that and although some, including me were fortunate e ough to have it replaced under warranty, this isn't always the case. I think anyone who's spent ~£7k on a bike has every right to be miffed at the prospect of having to fork out £350 on parts they don't want simply to keep using the bike.

Nick_V

Oct 9, 2020
UK
My friend is also dealing direct with the local Orbea rep. No Gen1 batteries until Nov

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles