Opinion Request

jrvide

Jul 15, 2024
Portugal
Hi guys.

My name is Ricardo and I'm from Portugal.
I ride a road bike but now I want to start on the mountain bike to be able to join my son and friends. Because I'm in my 40's and with bad knees and back and that's why I want to go to the eMTB full suspension. Maybe in the beginning I will ride some soft trails (XC type) but in the future, I would like to go more to some bike parks and make some more gnarly stuff. For now, all my friends that I will ride have standard MTBs so I'm in doubt if I chose a mid-assist bike and low weight, just to keep up with them or if I go directly to a full power eMTB.
My budget is 5k€ and I would like to have some opinions.
Below are some bikes I'm considering from the local bike shops.

Full Power
Decathlon E-Feel 900S (3800€): Aluminium frame, Shimano EP801, 630W battery, Shimano Cues Di2, RockShox Domain (160mm) and RockShox Deluxe Select (150mm)
Decathlon E-Feel 900S TE (4700€): Aluminium frame, Shimano EP801, 630W battery, Shimano XT Di2, RockShox ZEB Ultimate (160mm) and RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate (150mm)

I also can go to the KTM that are more expensive, but because they have a loan system with 0% interest at the end it will be the same order value.

KTM Macina Kapoho 7973 (4700€): Aluminium frame, Bosch CX, 750W battery, SRAM Eagle, Rockshox 35 Silver (160mm) and Suntour Tri-Air 3CR (160mm)
KTM Macina Kapoho Elite (5700€): Carbon/Aluminium frame, Bosch CX, 750W battery, Shimano Deore XT, Rockshox 35 Silver (160mm) and Fox Float X Performance (160mm)
KTM Macina Prowler Elite (5900€): Carbon/Aluminium frame, Bosch CX, 750W battery, Shimano Deore XT, RockShox Domain (180mm) and Fox Float X Performance (170mm)

Mid-Assist
Megamo Native 20 (3900€): Full carbon frame, TQHPR50, 360W battery + range extender 160W, Shimano XT, RockShox Lyrik (150mm) and RockShox Deluxe Select+ (150mm)
BH ilynx trail carbon 8.7 2022 (4250€): Full carbon frame, BH 2EXMAG, 540W battery, Shimano Deore XT, Fox 36 Float Factory (150mm) and Fox Float X Factory (150mm)

Glad to hear some opinions and to gain some knowledge from you all.

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
My opinion is to go for a Full powered bike, if you have bad knees it will help as it will be easier to pedal

Try to get the largest battery that your budget will allow

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If I had bad knees I would settle for the Full Power FS also. It may be better for your knees and more enjoyable in the long term.

A lighter eMTB a may be fine for now …but a full power may save your body some wear and tear and extend your riding time with family and friends.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I 100% agree with the views expressed by @Mik3F and @Stihldog .

A problem with my arthritic knees is why I eventually opted for my first emtb. The pedal assist removed so much stress from my knees that it felt as though they were getting better! I used to limp between rides and I no longer do so. I do daily exercise to ease my back pain, so I do understand your condition.

Go full power!

You are correct to buy locally for your first emtb, there are many things on your emtb that you have never dealt with before and local support will be a great help.

Buy the bike within your budget that most excites you. It will motivate you to ride it frequently.

Note: Unless you alter the motor, no emtb will allow you to keep up with your mates on their mtbs at all times. You will be much quicker uphill, and may be faster downhill if you have the skill. But on the flat they will leave you for dead, because they will be able pedal their mtbs much faster than 25kph, which is all your assisted bike will give you. If you want to go faster, then you will be pedalling a heavy bike with big soft tyres (hard work).

Good luck.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Oh yeah, definitely buy locally. The support you will need is there. Supports your local economy, develop relationships with your LBS, and any warranty issues can be addressed easier.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Good advice, here. Get the full power, full suspension, with the best components that will meet your price point. Your kid and his buddies are not only younger, but they have more experience. No matter what bike you get, you're going to have to work harder to keep up. It appears you've got some fun times in the near future.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Your back and knees will always be a problem, you're not going to get younger. So full power, large battery, buy locally so you have support in case you need it.

jrvide

Jul 15, 2024
Portugal
Thank you all for the comments.

I'm now convinced to go Full Power instead of mid-assist.
I've also found locally one Cannondale Neo 4 for 3500€. Some components need upgrading in the future, but I think to start is a pretty good bike for the price and I can do it little by little over time.
I will keep looking, but for the moment I believe this is the best choice for me.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I don't know much about Cannondale bikes but isn't that a hardtail (Trail Neo 4) ?
I would definitely go Full Suspension on a Full Power e-mtb... My 2 cents

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
Based on your goals and the bikes you have mentioned, if I was in your shoes I would be deciding between the entry level Decathlon and KTM. The money you save can be set aside for the upgrades you discover you need after using the bike for a while. If you decide to upgrade the suspension, I would look for low use take-offs or closeouts. The nice thing about this approach is that you can sell the parts you take off and recover some of the costs.

As far as the brand offerings, you save a few kg with the Decathlon but sacrifice a bit on the range. Then there is the Bosch vs Shimano decision. I haven't owned either but it seems like they are both solid options. Check out the controls and companion apps on each and see if one stands out. This is the first I have heard of Decathlon, KTM is well known and therefore will most likely be around to support their products. Perhaps the same can be said of Decathlon but I wouldn't know.

Those are my opinions, not to be mistaken as facts 😅

John Beedham

Apr 5, 2019
Lochiel, NSW, Australia
based on the quality of suspension ... in the price range ... without seeing the geometry .... the good damper in both fork and shock is what i would go for... Di2 is nice too
Decathlon E-Feel 900S TE (4700€): Aluminium frame, Shimano EP801, 630W battery, Shimano XT Di2, RockShox ZEB Ultimate (160mm) and RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate (150mm)

edruid

Jun 11, 2022
Gloucestershire
My opinion is to go for a Full powered bike, if you have bad knees it will help as it will be easier to pedal

Try to get the largest battery that your budget will allow
yep full power bike for bad knees. I speak from experience. My knees massively repaired rehabiltated by full power assist. Some physiotherapists now recommending ebikes!

jrvide

Jul 15, 2024
Portugal
I don't know much about Cannondale bikes but isn't that a hardtail (Trail Neo 4) ?
I would definitely go Full Suspension on a Full Power e-mtb... My 2 cents
Hello jeanmarc. No, this is a full suspension bike and full power with a Bosch CX motor.

1721900627962.png

jrvide

Jul 15, 2024
Portugal
I appreciate all your input till now.

Definitely, I will not go to mid-assist.
The Decathlon I have already discarded. I have some uncertainties regarding the frame and the support and maintenance. I believe their mechanics aren't qualified for these kinds of bikes.

I've noticed that Canyon has the Spectral On CF8 on sale (4200€ + shipping"+-100€"), so the two contenders are now the Cannondale and the Canyon.

1721901532821.png

The Canyon is a little better equipped and have a full carbon frame, but it's 700€ more. Also I need to consider the fact that if I buy the Cannondale it will be in a shop near my house and this builds a good relationship with the shop for the future maintenance. The Canyon can only be bought online so when I need maintenance it could be higher maintenance costs in any shop due to the bike not been bought from them.

I will thought a little bit more the pros and cons between them and will decide soon.
I believe any of the bikes will be a good option though and I will not regret.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles