OK...this may be a REALLY stupid question...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I can't seem to find any gloves with knuckle protection these days. These have been my go to gloves for years but Fox doesn't make them any more. I don't beleive in D30. What kind are those? Where did you get them from? Are they thin enough for summer use?
I had some fox ones with D3O knuckles. I think it was a faulty batch though as they seemed to offer zero protection and after a few weeks set like concrete :)

The ones in the picture was from amazon. No particular brand. I've seen them a few times though, someone else on here had the same pair a while back.

They're not unbearable in summer - but they're not ideal. Probably cooler than the Fox defends, but not exactly a super thin summer glove. I tend to wear them all year and suck it up, they're actually lasting/wearing far better than any of the Fox ones I've had previously.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
What does this mean? D3O exists, you don't need to believe in it... :p

Haha... I don't trust it. First off, how hard do you have to hit before it changes its density to become effective? How much of the impact is spread out over how large of an area? Is it more of a point source change in density? I have had some knee pads that were D30 but ended up with a sore knee after hitting a rock pretty hard. It also tore the pad. These are the factors that make me believe in ABS as it will also slide where as D30 needs a covering over it that will most likely tear. So many riders don't wear enough armor or wear hot or bulky armor. Which side of the fence are you on?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I only wear pads to shut my riding buddy up… 😂

When I do, it’s D3O.

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Haha... I don't trust it. First off, how hard do you have to hit before it changes its density to become effective? How much of the impact is spread out over how large of an area? Is it more of a point source change in density? I have had some knee pads that were D30 but ended up with a sore knee after hitting a rock pretty hard. It also tore the pad. These are the factors that make me believe in ABS as it will also slide where as D30 needs a covering over it that will most likely tear. So many riders don't wear enough armor or wear hot or bulky armor. Which side of the fence are you on?
I'm with you on that. I find the none newtonian products to be great for flat landings, but awful for pointy sharp things. They work well when they're covered in a thin hard outer layer to spread the impact force. In the early D3O days this was their aim so I'm not sure what happened.

Generally I find them to be heavy and hot and whilst they seem like a really cool idea, they don't actually work as well as hard armour in most situations. Because they are heavy and hot, they're always compromised to only cover very limited areas otherwise you'd melt and weigh 20kg's more.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I only wear pads to shut my riding buddy up… 😂

When I do, it’s D3O.
Interesting... do you ride just as confidently with or without pads? When I ride Whistler, I wear POC upper body, padded shorts and full face to add to my existing knees, elbows and skit lid as the speeds are faster and the crashes can more severe. I also come for a hockey background so I am used to wearing pads when I play. Its nice to have friends who care about your well being! :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Interesting... do you ride just as confidently with or without pads?
The same. If I'm riding park I were knee/shin pads and back/shoulder pads, all D3O. I have some lightweight D30 knee sleeves and after last week's OTB the only injury to my leg was where the pad stopped.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
The same. If I'm riding park I were knee/shin pads and back/shoulder pads, all D3O. I have some lightweight D30 knee sleeves and after last week's OTB the only injury to my leg was where the pad stopped.
Unfortunately your crash disputes the theory that correlation does not indicate causation. If you had only worn MORE/longer padding, you would have come out unscathed. OR, if you had worn NO pads, you wouldn't have crashed at all as it was the pads that reduced your mobility! I hope your riding bro was ok!i

Clarrie_NZ

Jan 31, 2022
Rotorua, NZ
. I've learned to keep my pinky finger off the ends of the grips as much as possible
I used to have my hands a bit in from the ends of the grip. I have since modified my cockpit (brakes levers etc) so that my hands are right on the outside edge of the grips. I did this because I suffered quite a bit of bodily damage after clipping a large rock with my left grip. I did not know what had gone wrong until I found a large chunk out of the brand new grip. In the post analysis of all this someone suggested the "cats whickers theory". The idea is that you are aware of where your body is at (proprioception) but you are not instinctively aware of the length of bar hanging around outside of your hands. So if you have your hands at the end of the grips you are much less likely catch your bars. I have been running this set up for several months now if the same single track environment and have not clipped the bars, so it seems to be working.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I used to have my hands a bit in from the ends of the grip. I have since modified my cockpit (brakes levers etc) so that my hands are right on the outside edge of the grips. I did this because I suffered quite a bit of bodily damage after clipping a large rock with my left grip. I did not know what had gone wrong until I found a large chunk out of the brand new grip. In the post analysis of all this someone suggested the "cats whickers theory". The idea is that you are aware of where your body is at (proprioception) but you are not instinctively aware of the length of bar hanging around outside of your hands. So if you have your hands at the end of the grips you are much less likely catch your bars. I have been running this set up for several months now if the same single track environment and have not clipped the bars, so it seems to be working.
Bingo ! For me at least I pondered cutting down my bars because of this. I ended up modifying a set of grips so they could slide up and down the length of the bar as if they were cut off to find my sweet spot. I was surprised to find that I unintentionally found my hands would move to a similar spot on the bars.( while riding) When I slid the grip in , the further out I would find my hands on the Grips only. I ended cutting off 15mm off the bars which put my hands comfortably on the end of the grips.
Since this adjustment I haven't clipped a single tree and find it amazing how a little bar length change feels so totally different.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I hear what you are saying but 10mm at the the bar end when most (how much is most any way?) of the force is going thru your palms of your hands. I cant see there is much shear force going on from your hands right at the end of the bars. Then again, I run 800mm bars and have 10mm+ spare at the end of each bar for crash protection (I would rather hit a tree or the ground with the bar ends than my hands).
Even if just the edge of the grips fold and nothing else bad happens, can you imagine how distracting / unsettling that sensation would be right as you huck to flat or hit some steep chunk? That's some nightmare fuel.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Even if just the edge of the grips fold and nothing else bad happens, can you imagine how distracting / unsettling that sensation would be right as you huck to flat or hit some steep chunk? That's some nightmare fuel.
I hear you. I would try it for 10mm (I am too impatient to wait for the replacement). I grip the bars mostly on my palms (I wear wrist braces) so I doubt I would notice or they would break on the trails I ride. I am not sure how many riders on this forum are hucking to flat or hitting steep enough chunk to put enough force on a grip to break it but running into a tree or getting slapped by a bush, probably.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
In winter we wear gloves from Racer.at

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Bingo ! For me at least I pondered cutting down my bars because of this. I ended up modifying a set of grips so they could slide up and down the length of the bar as if they were cut off to find my sweet spot. I was surprised to find that I unintentionally found my hands would move to a similar spot on the bars.( while riding) When I slid the grip in , the further out I would find my hands on the Grips only. I ended cutting off 15mm off the bars which put my hands comfortably on the end of the grips.
Since this adjustment I haven't clipped a single tree and find it amazing how a little bar length change feels so totally different.

Cut my bars down little by little using exactly the same technique. (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles