Nyon 2020 - No GPS data

indie1982

Apr 16, 2021
The Hills
Anyone got any experience with the 2020 Nyon yet?

I've just stuck one on my bike this week and out of 5 rides it's only recorded full GPS data for 2 of them. Nothing for 2 of the rides and about 50 m on another.

They've been long 12ish mile rides out in the open, so no issue with GPS reception, my Edge 530 works fine for each of the rides, I can't think of anything to try.

I used to have a Kiox and I was used to making sure it had connected to my phone and made sure eBike Connect was running, but the Nyon has in-built GPS so I've started to just ride and forget about my phone now.

When I remember to check, my location is shown on the map screen on the device, it just doesn't seem to record it all the time.

Firmware up to date: 1.2.1.0

Last edited:

Gigha

Sep 30, 2020
East Lothian
I have one of the original type 1 Nyons, with that I have noticed, on occassions, if you start riding before it has established a GPS lock then it does not record any GPS data during the ride.

May be worth checking to see if there is a similar problem with the new Nyons [I assume you can see on the screeen when it has established a location lock]

zurtvortex

Aug 29, 2019
Wales
I have had the new Nyon on both my Treks for the past six month and they have tracked my rides faultlessly from day one, whether it be a 200m brakepad bedding in downhill run or a 30 mile tour. I switch them on, wait until the normal screen appears (about 15-30 seconds) and then set off. My progress is recorded with a black dot every 100m or so which remains there until I reset/delete that ride. I'm in rural Wales so have unobstructed satellite reception.

indie1982

Apr 16, 2021
The Hills
Yep, I can't see that I'm doing anything wrong. I turn it on, wait until the first screen appears and if I move over to the map screen I can see it's got a blue dot to indicate it's got a GPS lock.

As I ride around I get the black dots on the map screen every 100m or so, just like you, but on eBike Connect there's often either no GPS data or incomplete GPS data. The rest of the ride data is complete and it doesn't say that the ride is unfinished.

This ride for example, the blue dots show my correct route on the Nyon.

1.png

But in eBike Connect all I get is this partial GPS data

2.png

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
If it runs anything like the Kiox your phone needs app needs to be set to “Always” rather than “whilst using”.

indie1982

Apr 16, 2021
The Hills
If it runs anything like the Kiox your phone needs app needs to be set to “Always” rather than “whilst using”.

The Nyon has in built GPS so it doesn't work like the Kiox, no need to set Location to Always or have the eBike Connect app open!

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
I could be wrong but I’m not convinced about it having in built GPS. Reading the Bosch blurb....

”The new Nyon paves the way for a fully connected eBiking experience. The eBike Connect App connects the Nyon with the smartphone and exchanges data about routes and activities.” And “
Data synchronisation
Always in dialogue: As soon as Nyon connects to the smartphone or WiFi, the on-board computer connects to the user's eBike Connect account and automatically synchronises the ride data.”

Perhaps it does this pre or post ride? If it could do it during the ride with the app connected you might get more accurate records.

I hope you find the answer as it’s an expensive bit of kit.

zurtvortex

Aug 29, 2019
Wales
I never take my phone with me but the Nyon displays my trip in real time so the GPS must be on-board! Only when I get home does it connect with the app and upload data which accurately shows my latest journey.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles