Now that the weather is on the turn ...

rwhitfie

Sep 14, 2020
Gloucester
What gear are folks buying to fend off those muddy cold wintery rides? I ordered a few bits ’n bobs from Aldi as they had a cycle specials ... got a few Merino under garments which look ok, prob on the thin side but cheap as chips. Want to get some decent eMTB trousers/pants ... thinking Spesh or Endura? BTW this in the UK so we’re not going to reach -20C .... famous last words? ?

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
I recommend the dirtsuit core with a good merino base layer!
If very cold: heated gloves and eventually heated insoles or socks.

20200926_b.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What is your budget?

If you're thrifty, look at Decathlon jackets, but I couldn't see any suitable waterproof trousers.
Fox gear is pretty good if you want to spend a little more.
Dirtlej Dirtsuit is getting spendy and Endura MT500 is rather expensive.

CBSTD

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2020
thoK0north
Endura stuff isn't cheap but it is made in Scotland to combat our weather but if you like to use you body as brakes al a zimmer then maybe buy cheap and buy twice

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I've got a pair of Berghaus deluge overtrousers, not exactly elegant or breathable but are great for particularly wet and muddy rides.

I can't find many dedicated waterproof cycling trousers...

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
I wear Rohan trousers that have a waterproof lining. Think its the Dry Frontier type on their site.

I like them, wear them for walking mostly. Pretty waterproof, but do get a bit sweaty sometimes.
Not bike specific though, so may not suit everyone. Do get a little tight when mounting the bike for me, but fine after that.

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Popped up to Stiff cycles today in Summerbridge, N.Yorkshire...picked up a Fox Defend Thermo Hooded Jersey, feels really good, good fit...the main reason I bought it was for the hood ? I’ll also use this when I’m fishing ?
D807C251-CF25-462B-B789-5076B463D228.png

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I really like the look of that. Not so keen on the price though. Or the complete lack of stock anywhere.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Rugby contact training tops are great relatively cheap bits of kit for using during a winter ride - my son has one of these as part of his club kit, and I thought to myself that might make a great addition to the mtb wardrobe, and it is, not a proper waterproof but will stand up to a shower, pretty breathable, and will survive an off - good half way house between a full on jacket and just a jersey.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Haha :LOL:No.

But manufacturing in China and Livingston's dress sense might go some way to explaining Endura's products wildly random cut and sizing

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Not trousers (we seem to have drifted off that topic pretty quickly, so...) but I'm a big fan of my Buffalo Mountain Shirt for riding in cold weather, not least because of how well vented it is.

It isn't waterproof, but the beauty of Pertex + fleece is that it keeps you warm when wet; and it dries very quickly with body heat.

Not a choice when you know torrential rain is on the way, but really good otherwise. I've used Buffalo stuff for donkey's years, and see no reason to change.

Very warm when you're working, though - so only for properly cold rides.

The rest of the time I'm in my Buffalo Windshirt - with a warm mid layer if it's cool-to-cold, and a light wicking tee for anything warmer than that.

They're really versatile too: I wear them (in olive both times) for my wildlife/bird photography; and when I'm fishing.

Oh - and incredibly hardwearing. I've still got my first "gold logo" Mountain Shirt (in Royal Blue, which I've just realised will work with my bike, because - you know - colour-matching clothes and bike really matters..! :sneaky:) and apart from one little tear (which was easily fixed with some Tenacious Tape, applied from the inside by cutting and then restitching a little hole in the fleece) it's faultless.

It's about thirty years old!

Not cheap, but brilliant bits of kit - I'd be lost without them.

Last edited:

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
I really like the look of that. Not so keen on the price though. Or the complete lack of stock anywhere.
I asked for some discount and they gave me 10% off...better than nowt? I just checked their stock and they’ve got S,M and large available (in black)...but not many!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Popped up to Stiff cycles today in Summerbridge, N.Yorkshire...picked up a Fox Defend Thermo Hooded Jersey, feels really good, good fit...the main reason I bought it was for the hood ? I’ll also use this when I’m fishing ?
View attachment 40972
This top is excellent but about £40 over priced. Perfect for chilly days

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob what do you recommend ... as it'll probably be sold out :)
Ultimate cold weather combo is that Fox thermo hoodie and this

But it’s super expensive. As a cheaper alternative I’d definitely look at the Decathlon softshell hoodies.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Decathlon have some great first/2nd layers Soloutions ranging form cheap and cheerful to as good as big brand stuff all reasonably priced.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've bought a few things from Decathlon, all mid-upper range and been dissatisfied with every single one. As a consequence they're off my list for mail order and as the nearest is an hour away I doubt I'll ever buy from then again.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Some years ago, before Decathlon came to the UK, visiting a Decathlon store in the French alps was a must on any climbing trip. There was a huge one between Chamonix and Geneva Airport so very convenient. Their soft shell clothing was particularly good value. I had owned some very expensive Mammut trousers, they were over £200 even back then but they were very good and withstood many years of abuse. Some time later I replaced them with some similar Decathlon ones that have proved to be just as good in every respect and cost me £39.

It's tempting to think of Decathlon as the equivalent of "down market" brands in the UK like Mountain Warehouse and Regatta but it's not. I can't speak for all their products but the soft shell is superb.

Al

rwhitfie

Sep 14, 2020
Gloucester
I bought a few items from Aldi when they had their cycling promotion. Most of the stuff has gone back but I did keep a few items like the Merino base layer (top and bottom) and some excellent merino socks. The problem I have with the bottom half is the knee pads tend to slip down when wearing a base layer so although I invested in an excellent Endura MT500 Pants I might need to get something that's thinsulated for the legs to allow the pads to have skin contact. I'm considering Endura for a hooded jacket as i liked the quality and feel of the pants.
I think the acid test will be as we head into winter when things get a whole lot colder.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My grandparents turned down the chance to become Ten Pound Poms in the early '50's.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles